1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 Install - Comments/Advice If You Please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Monster, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am looking at getting a Panasonic PT-AE300E projector and would appreciate your advice or any suggestions to improve the set up. This projector seems to be what I want based on specification but pending a demo.

For the sake of my sanity and in case you have any comments I am proposing the following:

Ceiling mount the projector in front of a downstand ceiling beam. The beam runs parallel to the sofa, and the projector lens would be above and approx 400mm in front of the viewing position. I have a Tosh 36ZP18 TV which will be on a cabinet with casters and pushed up against the wall. The front of the TV screen will be 640mm away from the rear wall. The centre speaker will be beneath the TV. (If I can find a cabinet to suit this behemoth, any suggestions? Must be in pale wood eg Maple beech possibly pine..GFAF!!) The screen would then be ceiling mounted and pull down in front of the TV but stop above the centre speaker.

Without the TV, the screen could be wall fixed in the recess between the chimney breast and the external wall. (Overall width is 2900mm) Maybe (dream on!) in the future the Tosh TV will be replaced by a small(ish) plasma allowing the screen to move back. The screen housing will look unsightly in its forward position but I can not think of any better way around this. Ceiling (1st floor structure) joists run front to back so I can't recess the screen without structural work.

Using this proposed set up, the viewing distance to screen will be approx 2700mm. Projector lens to screen will be 2450mm. AE300 brochure indicates 2000mm diagonal image at min distance 2.5m.

Does the width stated by screen manufacturers relate to the overall screen width or just the 'projection surface' in the case of black boardered screens. By my calculations and assuming the width relates to the projection surface, this gives a diagonal distance of 2070mm. Bugger! Could I get away with it if the screen width relates to the whole screen? Allowing 50mm boarder either side diagonal image would be 1983mm. Close?

If distances are ok, i am looking for a 1800mm wide manual pull down screen. Any suggestions? A few of you seem to favour the Procinema Matte White S Other s the Draper Luminar. (Gordon F if you see this post, can you make any suggestions and provide a quote, delivery to Bristol?)

Finally, how many of you use a UPS? Mains power cuts are fairly common where I live and I am concerned about the consequences. Any advice on whether this is a good idea, costs and where to get one would be appreciated.

I've trawled through past posts and that is how I got this far......If anyone has read all this, your councelling is awaited!!

2. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Re the UPS, I was looking into this, but there has been some talk of the UPS needing to output a pure sine wave or something, which you only find on the pricer models.

The only other thought I had (as I'm mounting my PJ at a low level) is to buy a cheap one that doesn't output a psw, and run an ordinary fan from it that constantly blows on the PJ which would obviously remain on if the power went. Total cost about £80 as opposed to about £400.

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Gadget!

Can anyone elaborate on this or comment on the screen selection or set up.

Ta:confused: