1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 & Games Consoles

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MisterBig, May 12, 2003.

1. MisterBig

MisterBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

After deliberating about it for what seems like forever I'm about to take the plunge and get myself an AE300.

Whilst I’m waiting for it to be delivered I find myself wondering about how I’m going to connect it to some of the other boxes that clutter up my living room…..

My XBOX and PS2 are both unmodded PAL machines that I currently connect through to my TV through SCART RGB. Should I stick with SCART or are there any HDTV connectors available for the PAL models?

I also have an NTSC GameCube which I currently connect through SCART RGB using a modified cable that combines the GameCube’s analogue and digital output. After a quick look around some of my favourite web retailers, I see that in order to get progressive scan out of my GC I need to get either a Component or D-Video cable. I’m assuming the d-video cable is a DVI cable but can anyone confirm this for me? If it is would I be better connecting with DVI, Component cables, or sticking with my modded SCART RGB lead?

Last but not least my PC has outputs for VGA, S-Video, and DVI. Which of these would be best to link up to the AE300 with?

Any and all advice appreciated.

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use s-video with my PS2 because I use my amp for video switching and it works really well, don't play SSX if you suffer from vertigo ;) , if anything RGB SCART should be better :) Although there is only one scarts, so you may well be looking at a switchbox.

Unfortunately I don't have an X-box (No good games or something :p ).

As for the gamecube, I doubt the D-video cable is DVI, but I have no idea what it actually is ;)

Generally I'd save the component input for DVD.

For gaming on the PC I'd use VGA just because you have a wider choice of available resolutions.

DVD playback on the PC is a bit cleaner over DVI.

-- Jon

3. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Alright Fellas,

Where did you guys order your AE300's from? And what was the service like?

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    been looking into same setup ie pal ps2/xbox and us cube into a panny300, what ive found on me travels is

ps2 via scart
    xbox via scart (unless i want to mod and lose (possibly xbl) if i mod i will be able to use the hi def us pack and use prog scan)
    us cube via component

so basicaly im getting high quality scart lead from pj into a rgb scart box with cable tv box/xbox/ps2 in, then component from dvd player as i have a toshiba with prog scan and cube via component (will just mean i have to swap component leads from dvd to cube depending on my want for that evening :) )

5. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got component from DVD direct to PJ.

Scart from 3 way switch box (cheap Argos thing which seperates out the L&R Audio to phonos) to PJ.

UK PAL X-Box RGB to scart box. Optical to receiver.
    UK PAL GCube to scart box. Twin phonos from scart box to receiver.
    VCR out to scart box (Can switch from RGB to composite) for terrestrial TV. Phonos from VCR to receiver.

All works well. Scart box does not create any perceivable picture deterioration in to 36" TV. Haven't checked it with the PJ yet but pictures are great. Halo is awesome!