1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 experiences

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tkokai, Jan 1, 2003.

1. tkokai

tkokai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear AE-300 owners,

I am considering buying a TH-AE300 from pricejapan.com, but I am still hesitant whether to buy a Sanyo Z1 or Sony HS10 instead. I have not come across any detailed review yet, it is mostly the sales PDF that I could gather information from.

My main concerns are:

- How effectively is Panasonic's new system able to eliminate the chickenwire effect? It was a bit disturbing for me at an AE-100 demo. Z1 does have it, too, I have not seen the HS10, however.

- How does it handle 800x600 and 1024x768 computer signals? The AE-100 is way behind the Sanyo Z1 in this respect. You can see the periodic smudges in the picture. Has Panasonic improved (a lot) in this respect?

Any other comments and reviews that you know of would be helpful.

:confused:

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Check out Kramers Thread here a former AE100 owner who is well pleased with his HS10.

3. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The smooth screen technology is really working and AE300 is great for watching DVDs (especially combined with TheatreTek 1.5 that is so good for shadow detail...).

It also has a pretty good scaler.

I'd say do a search here and at avsforum for more feedback on it.

Julia

4. tkokai

tkokai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments and advice. I tend to opt for the AE-300, but I am still concerned about the scaler. Everybody seems to be concerned with either DVD or HDTV performance, but neglect computer and composite picture quality. I would like to enjoy PAL DVDs, but also 1024x768 computer display and terrestrial + digital satellite TV on it. For the latter two, is it a match for at least the Z1? The Z1's scaling performance looked much more convincing than that of the AE100, that's why I am still curious to know whether Panasonic have improved on that. Somewhere on the avsforum I read that the AE300 has a cheap and weakly performing solution for composite signals. As far as I know, I can only use composite for non-HDTV. Please share your experiences.

Cheers,

Tamas

5. MikeKeal

MikeKeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've been using the AE300 with my PC for a few weeks. The PC has an ATI 8500 DV card with DVI out, which was great for DVD but less impressive at passing through S-Video signals - lots of chickenwire. I swapped the 8500 DV for the WinFast capture card I'd 'upgraded' from and was more impressed. Unfortunately the PJ just died tonight, so I didn't get much time to check it out properly!

As far as scaling is concerned, I've been using 800x600 as I found higher resolutions a bit difficult to read. 800x600 was fine, although the obvious horizontal stretching was hard to ignore at times. I tried to use Powerstrip to get closer to the native res of the PJ (using the settings posted somewhere on this forum) but couldn't get the PJ to sync at all.

I guess I'll hold off on my final recommendation until I find out what went wrong with my AE300. On the whole though, it's great!

6. tkokai

tkokai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Mike,

Sorry to hear your ae300 has died. Hopefully you will get a replacement soon. By the way: did you order it from pricejapan.com? Have you tested it through the VGA input?

7. MikeKeal

MikeKeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tamas

Yes, I ordered from PriceJapan. Their delivery was trouble-free and as professional as other contributors to this forum have suggested. I took out the new '4% of cost' return shipping insurance, which turned out to be provided by PayPal. Luckily, my AE300 failed a few days before the 30 day time limit for this insurance. PriceJapan replied to my email advising them of the fault within a few hours, and agreed straight away to a replacement.

The projector is completely dead; I think the power supply failed judging by the 'pop' noise and the blown plug fuse.

A few pointers on my experience with return shipping (so far)... these may be useful for anyone needing to return faulty equipment to PriceJapan:

1) According to their auto-response, it can take 10 days for UK Customs to read an email, so be sure to advise them a few days before your projector develops a fault.

2) DHL are very helpful and can advise all you need to know about how to ship an item for return under warranty. This is known (apparently) as 'Return for repair'. It's a good idea to call them to arrange the pick-up before packing the parcel; it needs to be open for inspection when their courier collects it. The courier carries (I hope) tape etc. to seal it before delivery.

3) You need to create an invoice to cover the return of the unit to Japan. There is a wizard to help with this on the DHL website. You need to print and sign 5 copies, and hand them to the courier when the package is collected. It's important to write on the invoice, and on the DHL airwaybill, that the item was made in Japan and is being returned for repair. It will also help if you provide a copy of the original inbound invoice from PriceJapan with a similar explanatory comment and some sort of cross-reference scribbled on your invoice.

Slightly off-topic as I hope you never need this info, but others might find it useful!

Regards

Mike

8. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi tkokai

for composite and svideo content ( eg from satellite set top boxes etc) then a capture card and dscaler / powerstrip are a tried and tested solution, avoiding any internal scaling problems in the pj itself.

regards

9. tkokai

tkokai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So,

if I understand well, nobody claims to get a good picture from such sources. I have come across one de-interlacer on the Net, but that was about 4000 Euros, much more than the PJ itself. Or, you build your HTPC with de-interlacer, right?

Tamas

10. PIPO

PIPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    waiting for my first experience.

i received my ae300 yesterday from japan,
    and i am going to use only a simple adaptor,
    not even a transformer.
    they assureded me it would work.
    ideas???

here in portugal the voltage is - 220v

please anyone tell me what is the d4 entry instead of the scart.

pipo