1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 Dust blob adventure

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gothmog, Feb 14, 2003.

1. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having received my VAT bill today I decided to exact revenge on my AE-300 by ripping it apart ;)

Picture

Armed with a £2.99 can of air it was an easy task to squirt it down the LCD panels.

No more blobs all gone in 5 minutes :)

-- Jon

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't you use a hammer? (ala Homer!) :p

3. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    gothmog, great to hear! Can you tell us exactly where you squirted the air? Did you squirt it while running?

Thanks
    Xander

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the picture the LCD panels are on the end of the three copper ribbon cables, there's plenty of space to squirt :)

Unfortunately I couldn't do it whilst powered as my only power cable is threaded through the ceiling ;)

So it was luck rather than judgement, however the 'blob' that was causing the problem appeared to be a hair or a bit of carpet fluff rather than just a speck, so I was confident a quick blast on all three panels would get it.

You can actually see dust in the projector if you look down the lens when it's on, the pair of 'eclipse shades' I had left over from the 2000 solar eclipse we had uk were good for this :p

Oh and when it says on the air can 'Do not use inverted' they really mean it :)

-- Jon

5. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Goth, I'll get the guts to do it myself one of these days. Did your blob look like a light grey circular smudge by the way?

6. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was light green, but I guess it depens where it is in the optical path :)

If I shifted the focus to one extreme I coul actually focus in on it a bit and it became a much sharper green spot (and a couple of much smaller ones became visible).

-- Jon

7. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just a word of caution. Wanting to clean dust blobs off an LCD projector, I was advised to go to a camera shop and buy a can of compressed air. This was because it is used to clean those very expensive camera lenses.......

Before doing the job a friend suggested I spray a window in my house with the can.........lo and behold........drops of water appeared on the glass, something that is not supposed to happen with this compressed dry air.

After that all the rest of the times I used the can it was perfectly dry. Thank God :rolleyes:

Regards

Parmenion

8. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,

On my can it said give it a squirt first before using it on the intended victim. After the first squirt though no more fluid was produced.

Unless you hold the can upside-down then loads of propellant shoots out, so don't do that!

The residue does seem to evaporate without leaving any trace though, altho it my dissolve the anti-reflective coating off your lens as it does so :)

-- Jon

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'm getting a very large discoloured patch/splodge/blob/whatever which is taking up most of the screen size, leaving only a lighter irregularly-shaped border round the edges. The image is still perfectly visible through it, just slightly diminished in brightness and (possibly) colour.

Unlike the smaller dust spots that others have reported, I can't focus on this. Could it still be dust (or perhaps some other, larger obstruction) somewhere along the optical path?

Thanks in advance,

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk