1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 connection to HTPC - desktop issues

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stoney_sjl, Jul 28, 2004.

1. stoney_sjl

stoney_sjl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like some assistance optimising my setup if possible...
    I have a Pan AE300 PJ connected to a reasonable spec. PC (XP Pro) with an ATI Radeon 9500 series card. I am having trouble getting a resolution that gives me a clearly readable desktop no matter what connection method I use.
    Using DVI: I cannot get the DVI connection to display the resolutions that the manual says I should be able to (eg. should be able to get 1280x768, but can only actually get 1280x720 - which makes more sense than 1280x768 since at 960x540 native it's 16:9 ?!)
    Using Component and ATI DVI-Component dongle: At the "suported" resolutions, the top of the desktop is cut-off by about a task bar width, 'though width seems OK, but it's really hard work trying to read filenames etc. since the font appears to be, er, wrong! Sorry this isn't a very good description - I hope you know what I mean. I can use the adjustments in the display control panel to modify the resolution (eg. started at 1280x720, but adjusted down to 1264x704 and the desktop now "fits") but I still have the same font problem. The projector sees this signal as 750P and playback of hi-def movies (avi, mpg, ts) is very good.
    Using PC: This is giving me about the best of the 3 options, though Wide720 is the best resolution I can achieve using this method. Even here, I still have the same issue with the desktop's lack of legibility.

I have tried using Powerstrip and ended up with the same results (1280x720 became 1264x704 and still with font problem) so curently I've uninstalled Powerstrip and I'm just using the ATI utilities to set resolution.

I'm using latest Cat drivers from ATI and I'm not aware of any firmware/other updates available for the projector, the PJ has been set in Windows as a Sony GDM-W900 (for reasons posted many times)

Can anyone out there help or advise me please ? Thanks

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums..............

The AE300 will not do 1:1 pixel matched, it's just not designed to do it (many have tried). If you use the search nutton at the top of the forum you may find other threads which might assist you. alternatively you could do a search on avsforum.com, a similar forum to this but US based - I recall reading (quite some time ago...) extensive accounts of people trying various resolution combinations to get near pixel matched.

Sean G.

3. stoney_sjl

stoney_sjl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Sean. At the risk of asking a dumb question, am I worrying too much about getting a reasonable desktop if the playback using Media Player, VLC etc. looks acceptable.

Thanks again, I'll checkout avsforum.com

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ultimately this is an issue that only you can answer............... if you're happier with the image resulting from using hcpc in as near a match as can be managed with the AE300 as opposed to using a dvd player, then the issue is settled. If you want to use the PC through the projector for browsing/gaming/whatever then have a decent desktop would probably be higher up the priority list. Do some more reading and see what results you can come up with, there are nearer matches than using 1280x720....

Sean.

5. stoney_sjl

stoney_sjl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply once again Sean.
    Would you have any recommendations for "nearer matches" or could you point me at a suitable location to find out please ? I've been trying to solve this one for a while now, but I cannot figure out what relationship there is between panel size (960x540) and resolution. My main reason for choosing 1280x720 was that it's the same ratio, whereas the 1280x768 is not (despite Panasonic saying it's supported)
    Thanks again

Simon

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I use 1280x720 and can see fonts fine

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again,

There's lots of opinions/info in This Thread culled from the archives over on avsforum. If you go into the archives and search the <$3500 projector forum for "powerstrip" you'll probably uncover more stuff with a little further reading.

Sean.

Edit: You should also have a read of This Thread from the same source.................

laters.........

8. stoney_sjl

stoney_sjl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean - a huge thank-you for the links, I'll sit down with them and see what I can get to work ('though it already looks as though I should abandon DVI and the dongle and go VGA connection !) I'm glad it's not just me that struggles :D
    CrispyXUK - can you elaborate on the setup you are using please ?

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    1280x720 via vga mate works perfek

10. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    For what it's worth, I think adding a post on to this old thread is worth it.

I've just tried the DVI settings posted by scotthal in Sean's second link and am getting a pretty good picture at both 50Hz and 60Hz via my Crystalio. Almost certainly not 1:1, but good nevertheless and allowing an all digital transfer from SDI player to PJ.

The powerstrip settings are:

1072x603=1072,55,208,41,603,1,1,18,51468,1

HRes, HFP, HSync, HBP, VRes, VFP, VSync, VBP, Clock, ?