1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 and THX Optimizer

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Insp.Gadget, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone with an AE300 help me decide whether I have panel mis-alignment on my ae300 or just projector newbyism :confused: ?!!

On the THX optimizer (Monsters Inc Disc 1 etc) where it shows you an image of a circle to see if the 16:9 is set properly, if I look close I can see that there's a ring of (maybe 2) green pixels around the outside of the circle and a ring of purple on the inside, with the middle of the line being white. Should it be sharper than this ?

Is this normal for a pj or is it to do with the smoothscreen technology. If it's the latter I'm not sure I'm that impressed with it.

Short of lugging my old PC down the stairs to run a test screen through it does anyone know of a quick way to check for alignment as this probably isn't the best way to check for it !?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Gadget

Just checked it on my CRT and TW100. On the CRT it exhibits the same problem as you state on the top and bottom of the circle (vertical mis-convergence) but that is because I had only just switched the pj on and it needs an hour to warm up and converge itself.

On the TW100 it showed no problem at all with green and purple outlines so I hate to say it but I think your pj panels are misaligned. I would contact your supplier and get it swapped out. Now you kow it's there you'll be seeing it more and more.

3. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Messiah, much appreciated.
    Strangely, I noticed this when i had it set up in the middle of the room using no keystone correction. Now I have it back to the side of the room and using quite a bit of K.C it doesn't seem half as bad ! It's mainly the right hand side of the circle, the left half seems fine. So maybe it's just some kind of focusing problem?

4. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Did a quick set up of mine for the first time yesterday using video essentials. There was a very slight evidence of what you describe BUT...I thought it may have been because the PJ was firing from the right on a sideboard so I had a fair bit of KC balancing the image. I found dropping the focus to its minimum improved the picture over its default settings.

I'll have another go tonight and post again tomorrow.

Initial thoughts (for a projector newbie) another jaw hits the floor....