1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 and HTPC - still not worth it ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Insp.Gadget, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hoping someone with some experience of using the AE300 and both a HTPC and a standalone DVD player can help - is it worth me having the carpet and floorboards up again to run a VGA or DVI cable down to the PJ to accomodate a new PC I've just ordered ?

I know 1:1 mapping isn't possible with either method, but would I notice any real difference using it for region 2 discs (I have a Sony DAVS 880 for prog scan region 1) ? Those that are using it, are you using the full panel or less of the panel and near-as-dammit 1:1 ?

The PC is going to be situated upstairs as a bedroom TV/PVR/Jukebox so it won't be too much of a hassle to run another cable, the hardest part will be trying to get a big fat DVI cable down through my LMP mount. An added bonus will be big screen PC games.

One final question if I may - will I need to keep switching the resolution when I want to use the PJ or can I leave it set so the 17" TFT and AE300 are both happy ? As if it's a hassle using the PC for the projector then I'll just stick to using the Sony.

Thanks for any help/advice :)

Cheers
    Greg

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The PC is in another room?? I assume you also have a wireless keyboard and mouse with decent range(to get from the bedrom to the HC) and decent strength (to pass through the walls).

3. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't built it yet (components are on their way) but will be ordering a gyration ultra keyboard and mouse, the range quoted is just over 7 metres and I shouldn't need to use it over about 4 or 5 so I'm hoping it will be OK.

4. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Greg,

even without 1:1 mapping I would still recommend using a HTPC with the AE300 (Although I saw a post where someone said you could trick the PJ to 1:1 - not tried it though).

I'm using 1280 x 768 widescreen (ATI Radeon 8500) and DVDs look fantastisc. I have a decent stand-alone player also which I'll continue to use as my main DVD player but I watched the whole band-of-brothers box set recently on my htpc and it looked razor sharp.

Lower resolutions (near native res.) are better if you want to read text while internet browsing. I have run a phone line for a broadband connection - MOHAA online games on a 7ft screen are as good as it gets for gaming!!!!

Cheers,
    Tony.

PS I had a wireless keyboard and mouse which was very useful but I found it unsatisfactory for gaming, particularly FPS games - the odd lag or movement keys getting "stuck" in one direction became very annoying.

5. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got most of the AE300 + HTPC settings in my projector setup database (see link below).

Xander

6. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your help guys, I'm gonna give it a try and see how it looks before running a cable permanently.

7. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can someone answer me a quick question please - when you have a monitor connected to the VGA output and the PJ connected to the DVI, are there settings within Windows to allow different resolutions and refresh rates for each connector or do you have to switch between them each time ? this should probably be in the HCPC section..............

Thanks
    Greg

8. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can someone please confirm if this is the best settings for the AE300 through DVI.........(taken from post on Xander's Database)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    960x540 via DVI by Nessuno
    Not sure whether this is exactly 1:1 mapping, but it looks pretty good.
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    960x540=960,16,32,96,540,2,6,15,37293,1

Generic timing details for 960x540:
    HFP=16 HSW=32 HBP=96 kHz=34 VFP=2 VSW=6 VBP=15 Hz=60
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Linux modeline parameters:
    "960x540" 37.293 960 976 1008 1104 540 542 548 563 +hsync +vsync

Tony, would you be able to post your settings for me please ;)

Greg

9. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Greg,

I'm using the VGA settings for 1280x 768 found on Xander's very helpful database and AVS (where he found some of the settings I believe). I tried the settings you posted and they look very sharp, certainly better for browsing and emails.

Tony.

10. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You want to use a little program called PowerStrip http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm - this lets you define custom resolutions / refresh rates, so you'll be able to get a 1:1 pixel perfect image - and believe me, when you do this the difference is incredible (well, it is on my AE100). Check out the HTPC forum for more tips. Good luck!

11. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ginger,

if you read the previous posts you'll see that the settings mentioned are for Powerstrip.

1:1 mapping has proved elusive so far for the AE300, however as mentioned someone has got close by a bit of trickery.

Tony.