1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 - am I too picky?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kwagger, May 27, 2003.

1. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After much deliberation, homework (reading on these forums!), and not much intensive auditioning, I finally bought myself an AE300 from Nexnix.

Now, the first one I had went pop :eek: before I had a chance to have a good play with it (bulb problem, I think), but Nexnix swapped it out for me - (excellent c.s. by the way) although this took about a month with the lack of stock available recently.

I am absolutely delighted with my new pj, knocked up a blackout material screen over the weekend, and the PQ is amazing.

However, last night I was watching fifth element superbit, and noticed a lit blue pixel about 6 inches from the top of the screen, (barely visible from my seating position). This is only visible on black background, but as it lies in the top 'widescreen' border on movies, this will be visible often, i think.

I then ran through the service menu screens, and on a black background, there are a few 'partialy lit' single pixels, of varying brightness, none of them fully white, 1 or 2 at say 20%-30% white. and half a dozen at 5%-10%. these are not visible from my seating position.

Now, I think I will probably swap the unit back out for the blue lit pixel (had a pixel check done prior to shipping) but should I expect to see this 'starfield' effect on all LCD projectors?

I am delighted with the PJ, the picure is amazing :D, and TBH am not that bothered about the lit pixel and the starfield is only visible on inspection.

I would just like some folk with more 'hours on the clock' to tell me if I am being unneccessarily harsh, then I can stop coming here, learning how to find faults with my new kit, and watch some movies!!

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The Sharp XV-Z91E which i saw on saturday is becoming all the more tempting if i read about all the pixel problems with the LCD PJ's

But for now, i'm on the sideline....and yes....the right time will come when i'll take the plunge - i won't sit on the fence forever !

3. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The starfield effect is :confused: to me :)

I haven't noticed it on mine (I will look tonight ;) )

Hard to see how it could happen, as to produce whites all three panels would have to be contributing to the effect..

Unless it was light direct from the bulb getting round the panels somehow??

-- Jon

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi I have had 3 AE300`s (I still have 2) and the only thing I have noticed (apart from a bad green pixel on one I returned) is a slight silhouette. Green on 1 side and red the other on a little like poor convergence on a rear projector TV.

Anyone with any ideas what this could be? It appears on all of the ones I have had.

Jack

5. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this pretty early on when I had my AE300, it does indeed appear that they are all like that :)

Thought it might be a smoothscreen side-effect initially, but in the end I think just the way the panels are aligned.

Interesting to know if anyone has one that doesn't do it to blow that theory out of the water :D

-- Jon

PS You can see the effect here

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Gothmog

Thats it. I tend to notice it more on faces (chins and ears).

Anymore theories out there.

7. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

With regard to this "star-field" effect if I'm understanding you. I watched the matrix recently which I was very impressed with. Although there was some slight grain and artefacts around some edges, the AE300 did a superb job especially the smoothScreen technology.

However, at some point in the evening I paused the film (probably to get another beer!!!) and went right up to the screen and noticed some pixels that just looked out of place. When stepping through several frames, it appeared that these pixels were not displaying the correct lighting levels of the other surrounding pixels.

Oh no I thought but...

Like also pointed out previously, when I sat down again, I couldn't see them or even remember where they were.

So in conclusion, is it really an issue? Ok like kwagger stated, if you get a brightly coloured pixel in a darkened area it might be considered annoying.

Another consideration is that if you send the projector back, you might, with all probability, end up with a replacement that's even worse.

Unless I get some actual dead pixels, I holding on firmly to my AE300 cos it's too dam good!!!

-------------

If anyone is interested I have a webpage detailing the installation and experiences of the AE300:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/ftvtp/ftvtpmainpage.htm

Thanks,

Chris.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Does the effect have a very thin green line down one side of the jaw line/ear/face, and/or a thin red line down the other?
    This can be convergence errors, but sounds more like "Chroma Delay".
    The Chroma Delay occurs due to the colour information being slightly out of time with the black and white information.
    There is a way to test for this using the "AVIA" test disc "Chroma Delay" test pattern.
    This can also be adjusted on some DVD players (Pioneer 737 etc).

As for the screen blobs (star field), these are normal on most "non enclosed optics" projectors.

People think they are dead pixels (i used to!), but normally they are just "dust" blobs.

On most LCD PJs, if you show a very dark screen you will find loads of these dull green/red/blue pixels!
    But from normal viewing distances the are invisible.
    Some flicker slightly as the fan blows air on them, or become sharper if the focus is adjusted fully one way or the other.
    A duff pixel normally shows as a very bright pin prick of green/red/blue light etc.
    Or a black spot on a bright background!
    I heard pixels can fail half way, but i have never seen one!

People have tried opening the PJ and blowing air from a aerosol "air cleaner" with great success, but the problem will come back eventually.
    Another trick is to put the projector in high fan/bulb mode (if it has one!) to blast the dust with it's own fan.

9. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Cheers fulabeer,

I dont have the avia disc but I think I will get one. My dvd player is a Sony 900 which I think has a chroma delay feature I will have a play around.

Jack

10. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it can be Chroma delay as it appears on the edge of the OSD as well, which kind of rules out the source ;)

-- Jon

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Most 3 panel devices will show a little bit of convergence misalignment.