1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE200 & Seating Position

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Seb1, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I sit with the AE200 next to me (by my side), Will I see screendoor?

I only have about 2.83m projecting distance. I would have to sit to the side of the projector because at 2.83m the projector would be up against a wall, and there would zero room to sit behind it...:(

(Bloody loft conversions and their sloping walls!...grrr)

Please someone tell me if I am being too over-ambitious. Would it be silly to put a projector in such tight situation. I am not after the biggest picture possible, just big enough to get a little bit of that cinema feeling...

Please, please tell me this is okay as I am dying to get off the fence, and with the AE200 at this price it's rude not to buy it.

2. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I sit about 106 inches away from a screen 80 inches wide. The projector is just above my head in this position.

I've just defocused the projector very slightly, and screendoor is no longer an issue for me.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    My AE200 is 11 feet away from a 106" (diagonal) screen my seat is about 14 feet from the screen and with the focus as sharp as I can get it I can just make out screendoor on some images.

You may find that at 2.83m (sitting and projection distance) the screedoor is acceptable but it will depend on whether you mind defocusing the image slightly. I had the luxury of moving the projection and seating position over a range of distances but I think if I had the contraints you have I'd want a demo to make sure it will all work. Also remeber the AE200 rear vent and should have 18" of free space behind it.

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Seb,

Seeing screendoor doesn't really have anything to do with where the projector is in relation to the screen. Its to do with where your seating position is. The AE200 uses the same panels as the old AE100 which I had until January. I needed to be 1.8 times screen width away so as not to see screendoor on it. Some people say they don't see it at 1.5 and some people say they need to be 2.0 times screen width away. I was Mr Average between those too extremes at 1.8 :D

So using the Screen/width that the average person needs to be back from their screen at 1.8 and using your available distance:

2.83m=9.28ft divided by 1.8 = 5.15ft

So to guarantee no screendoor with a perfectly focused AE200 the largest screen you could use would be just over 5ft wide. Defocussing might buy you another few inches. However you may have a higher or lower screendoor threshold than me and may have to knock off half a foot or can add half a foot to the screenwidth. But ballpark figure given your room dimensions would be a 5ft wide screen.

If you would be happy with roughly that size screen then buy the PJ and then when you have it at home you can hang a sheet on the wall and test to see what size image doesn't have screendoor to your eyes. Then you can go and either buy a screen if you can find one in that size or you can make a screen yourself.

Off course if you have a high screendoor tolerance level and you wont know till you get the PJ then you may get away with an 80x45in screen(6.5ft wide). Personally I couldn't sit 9ft from a 6.5ft wide screen but you never know. It might not bother you.

5. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that calibos.

It seems like I should be okay then (just inside the safety margin). A 5ft wide screen is perfect for me as the wall I will be projecting onto can't take anything much wider than 6ft. However I have very good eyesight though, so I hope I am not one of these '2x screen width' people...:( Even if I do see a bit of screen door I will probably defocus a touch. Looks like it's time to take the plunge...:)

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Tomfoolery has the right idea. If you see screendoor then just defocus the image slightly. This has the effect of slightly blurring the pixel which makes the screendoor disappear.
    It does soften the image slightly but with DVD films you will not notice.

Thinking 'bout it. I've been to quite a few cinema's where the focus was really bad.