AE200 - Now have 2 dead pixels appeared - Unusual?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,361
    Now I'm annoyed.... (hey!)

AE200 bought from Discount electrical a year ago with a dead pixel check.

And to their credit, it arrived fault free.

Amazingly I've only run it for about 53 or so hours over the year.

At about 48 hours one red pixel started flickering, and is now on all the time (one dead pixel)

Now tonight about 53 hours another red pixel is starting to flicker over the other side of the screen which will go the same way.

I thought this was not really supposed to happen.

Am I just unlucky to have a zero dead pixel projector develope two stuck red pixels over a year with such low running time?

Annoying as it's going to reduce the resale value of the unit now.

They are both at the sides of the screen which is not bad (some have them in the middle which must be terrible) But it's still annoying as I assumed and read that they pretty much were going to be fault free if they were ok at the start.

2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This phenomenom can happen, as you can see and there is not a lot you can do about it bar compain to Panasonic saying that it is now unfit for purpose. However they have a limit of probably 5 pixels before they deem something faulty.
    The same thing happened to my camcorder where one pixel died and it recorded a red spot in the middle of the screen.
    Azzo

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Not a lot to say, really, other than commiserations...... :confused:

I've read of permanently lit/dead pixels occurring after some time, I guess that normally one would expect to have logged 50 oddhours in a shorter timeframe, but the manufacturers policy on dead pixels would apply any way.

Bummer.....

S.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    That's really unlucky. I feel for you.

This is the first time i've ever heard of this. I thought that basically, if the LCD panel survived the first day or so then you were set.

The thing that worries me is the sudden rate of failure. I got a feeling that you might see more.

5. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    This happened on a new camera of mine fine for a week then.. yuk red dead pixel, don't know why but enough to put me off LCD. Hope you get this sorted.

6. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,361
    Well, I don't think I can get it sorted as such, I just got to put up with it, but as with you, It does put me off LCD that's for sure.

What annoys me the most is that Manufacturors say that they can't accept items as faulty unless they have (for example) 5 dead pixels.
    So you as a buyer have to put up with it.
    But you try selling a projector 2nd hand and say it's got 4 dead pixels and watch the value drop like a stone.
    Hardly seems fair does it.

7. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    It isn't fair ! I was considering a sony but one retailer refused to give a pixel check saying sony are not sympathetic to this problem :mad: hence they have a right f..k on trying to send them back. This is one of the reasons my first pj is going to be a DLP has its problems [ possible rainbows] as well, but i have been guaranteed a pixel prob free m/c, i also worried about dust blobs on LCD panels seems another pain in the ar.e :mad: Dlp although not imune are less likely to suffer [only one panel to worry about] the infocus i want has sealed optics.
    Anyway atleast they are not in middle or clustered and mybe you could save for this new fangled techno coming out which introduces another projector type into the pot. LCD V DLP V ...? :confused: :rolleyes: :D :smashin: i fear all of these could cause serious grief if they go tits up :mad: i may be dropping a right bollock all of them a gamble :rolleyes:

8. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Be warned - DLP can suffer from stuck mirrors. Ouch.
    I think themescene guarantee against them though - maybe on certain models though.
    Azzo

9. Ciaran500

Ciaran500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought panasonic has a different policy for pixels that are stuck on. Have a look around the forums cause I remember they only allow 1 green stuck pixel and 2 red stuck pixels. But I'm not 100% sure of this.