1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE200 Lamp Flaking

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stuartsjg, Apr 20, 2004.

1. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, ive had my AE200 now for a few months and its going great.

I read that you should have a lamp inspection when you first receive it so i did and it looked fine, no dammage etc.

Im now about about 70 hours (in the user menu) and i had a look again to check all was well....

Upon taking the thing out i immediatly noticed silver flaky bits inside it and when i looked in properly a whole corner of the reflective coating lookes to be bubbling off. (lookes like paint when you strip it with an electric paint stripper)

The picture seams fine with good even coverage.

Is this a normal thing to happen so early on?
    Should there be any cause for concern?

This is my 1st proj and i hope that this doesent put me off!

Was going to take it into a Panasonic Shop (didnt buy it there tho) and see what they say and if i can look at another AE200 that theyve had but im not sure if they'd help.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Stuart.

PS. Also ment to ask: What dammage can an exploding bulb do? Will it be all contained within the bulb enclosure or can the 1st lens be dammaged?

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i would get it replaced, i had a similar problem with my a100, some of the lamp coating somehow managed to get into the panels and made the picture unwatchable, they replaced my unit no problem

3. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It must be a fairly common problem. Did you take it back to where you got it or just contact panasonic?

Many thanks,
    Stuart.

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

i took it back to where i bought it, initial it was to remove a splodge mark which was on my image and no amount of air duster would remove, it went back to panasonic and when they opened it up saw the culprit was debris from the lamp flaking so they gave me a replacement