1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE200 issue: Grey circle in corner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tomacwhite, Nov 23, 2003.

1. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just been watching a flick on the projector, and I have noticed a small grey circle bottom left of the screen which appears when the projector is playing something very dark, or if it has no input on a certain mode (like AV1 mode but not having anything turned on if you know what I mean).

I first thought it was light reflecting on the screen, but its not as when I move the projector, the circle moves with it. I tried cleaning the lens with a glasses cleaning cloth, but that hasnt helped.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Sounds like a dust blob in the optics - do a search here for "dust" for lots of other accounts; a diy solution has been related by many, using a can of compressed air, take care if you're adopting this to make sure that only air is coming out of the can, the propellant liquid will cause permanent damage. If it's not very noticeable, you could just ignore it.

Sean G.

3. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How big is it? Sounds like it could be a 'dead pixel' if only a few mm's squared? :(

Edit: Sean beat me to it :hiya:
    Think it's depending on the size of the grey spot.

4. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah its much bigger than a pixel. I have run service mode and its only viewable when its dark. And its a very small area.

I'll try a search on the forum, thanks.

5. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i had one just like yours but green in colour, it's a bit of dust, you can either----- open pj and clean panels (search on here for info b4 u try this)

leave it if you can't see it when viewing movies

btw i got a hoya filter and using this i cant see my blob anymore

6. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got an AE300 - and reckon I've got the same issue...

When in shutter-mode (black) you can see 2 or 3 areas (prob. about 20 pixels in diam.) which are just ever so slightly lighter than the surrounding area.

What's strange is; when i run White, Red, Green, or Blue full screen it's absolutely undetectable. Maybe the dust is refocussing some light - which increases the light intensity in one area of the screen while showing black... buggered if I know, but dust is the only thing I can think of.

I guess I might open up the 'ol AE300 :-( Are the screws special ? (Torx security screws or some sh*t ?)

Another thing I might do is put on some very dark sunglasses and look into the projector... you reckon I'll be able to see anything ? :)

7. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've read through a lot of people giving the three LCD panels a quick squirt to dislodge any nasties and it seems relatively effective.

But; That would make sense for a "coloured" dust blob. i.e., a greenish, reddish, or blueish blob... I'm wondering if one has a plain grey blob it would indicate that the dust is somewhere 'after' the three panels are combined?

Big question: Where the hell do you squirt compressed are if its not the panels ?

8. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I wouldnt bother opening the projector - my dust blob has burnt itself out after a day of heavy usage, sweet! :)