1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ae200 Ceiling Mounting - Base of unit against metal sheet or Standoffs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I'm after a little advice as I'm mid modifying a mount to hold my AE200

I am mounting the AE200 upside down (ala normal ceiling mount)

I have a sheet of metal (steel) that is around the same side as the projector and will be screwing it onto this plate (upside down) vie the four 4mm threaded holes.

Now then, my query is this.

Do you think it would be fine to just screw it directly to the plate (like it would be if sitting on a table (albeit upside down)

Or would it be better to use stand-offs, like short tubes so it is kind off hanging away from the plate by say 40mm or so ?

I'm wondering if standoffs would allow more air to circulate around the unit, as it would effectivly be hanging in the air (by 4 little tubes) or would being screwed direct to the metal plate be just the same ?

The official ceiling mount seems to show the unit would be screwed onto a metal plate (which would look neater)

Advice please (if you understood)

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get the feeling that standoffs are common practice in pro affairs, so i would probably try and get some if i could

ad

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've made a diy ceiling mount which I won't get a chance to install for a couple of weeks. I used 50mm nuts and bolts to go through a piece of mdf and then give 25ish mm of standoff. This also allows fine tuning of the pj position buy adding washhers to shorten the useable length of the bolts. Also remember when sizing the plate to cut out a section giving access to the air filter without having to remove the whole pj.

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I really was not sure.

I can just get some Aluminium rod (about 10mm) and drill/tap both ends to make whatever length standoffs I want.

It's just that the setup will look so much neater if the projector is fixed to the metal plate. rather than seeing the metal plate, then 4 rods down and the projector hanging by those (if you see what I mean)

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304

Ahh, yes I guess that's quite a common and robust way of fixing.

As you say, by adjusting the length of the rods you can do fine tuning to get the projector dead level.
    Luckily my stand/bracket I'm modifying will have a pivot point so I shall be able to adjust the postion without messing with any standoffs I may make.

You made an excellent point re leaving space for filter removal. To be honest I had not given this any consideration yet, so thankyou for pointing that out for me.

One question (for you) or anyone else reading this who knows about the Pannie AE200.

How high is the filter when it is removed ?
    I mean, say there WAS a solid base, then how far away from the projector base would it have to be to allow filter removal ?

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I forgot to mention (re my initial post) that I was considering the following:

If a metal plate was fitted directly to the base of the AE200 (via the four 4mm screw holes) then as this is touching the plastic it should get warm, eg carry some of the heat, or in a vague way soak some of the heat up, like a very very basic heat sink.

If however you used standoffs there would be a patch of warm air sandwiched between the projector base and the plate surface.

I guess I'd like to mount it direct to the plate as it would look a lot neater, but if it will cause the projector to run in any way warmer then I would forget it and rather use standoffs.

7. Jonathan100

Jonathan100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The filter is basically the whole height of the unit. I have mine mounted under a shelf, so very simmilar to a ceiling mount, the projector hangs about 4cm below the shelf just using long bolts. I have a nut on each bolt which I can turn around to fine tune the tilt of the pj. As for air, the shelf is wooden so I have a cutout above the airvent which will allow me to putt it up through the shelf to make for easy changing. This should be done once per 100h usage and I didn;t want to be going through taking the whole thing down.