1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE200 arrived today (1st ever projector)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Well, my 1st ever projector (AE200) arrived today (also from Discount Electrical)

(was delived to work)

Got home and started taking stuff down from my wall (was desperate to just see it working)

Took about a hour or so had to take down 6 pictures (don't ask!) and a shelf full of junk etc etc etc...........

Anyhow, finally found a stand as a test bed got my old Tesco Dansai DVD player connected via scart and fired the baby up for the very fist time

Guess what............. It worked :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now then, my wall is currently covered in a product I put on called Polyripple. It's like a very thick emulsion that you applied with a rough roller so it leaves lumps all over it.
    Guess, what.........
    This has to be the most unsuitable surface to project on, known to man.... No hand on, perhaps an elephants arse might be a bit worse but it would be a close call!

I Stuck a piece of A4 paper on the wall (didn't quite cover my almost 6 foot screen!!!) and big difference.

Had to go and have my dinner by now.

Came back from my fish and chips and then proceeded to make possible the most cheap and stupid screens ever invented.

Are you ready for this?

I found a roll of masking take and stuck 30 sheets of A4 brilliant white paper onto my projection wall (masking tape was hidden by overlapping joins) 10 wide x 3 high.

Massive improvment. Amazing what sheer desperation makes you think up..... :smashin:

OK, so my initial thoughts form my very 1st projector.

1: Screen door. Yup, you can see the pixels up close, but you know what, for some reason this does not really bother me.
    Perhaps it's the wow factor at the moment, but it's not really that bad at all. Getting my tape measue out and to give you some idea. I'm going to be aiming for a screen width of around 6 feet, and will be viewing at a distance of around 7 feet.
    At this distance (even with my new glasses on!) the screen door effect is very rapidly dissapearing, and and NORMAL person who is not into this technology I very much doubt would even comment on it. So as for screen door from a screen width and a bit distance I'd say I'm fine with it. OK, No screen door would be nice but it's no where near as bad as some would make you think as long as you appreciate the technology and don't get all paranoid about it.

Picture quality. Well, I was just running via my cheap Dansai Tesco player (albeit it did get good reviews when I bought it) and the picture was pretty dam good. I just a moment ago realised that I had not even put the player into RGB mode so I had been viewing composite via the scart.
    Yes, going via this route there were some issues, I played some SHREK (the movie) and in a few places there was some patterning in some small areas of detail now and again, but hey it's Composite scart, and it was very good.

Black level, well. as you can appreciate I'm not really in a position to comment on this yet. I did notice that the areas above and below the actual DVD film area (film lot narrower than the full display area) were no way near black, so perhaps some movable dark shilelds may be something I may consider in the future.

I think it's me. Put I like a picture to have a lot of PUNCH and I found the DYNAMIC picture setting to give me that a lot more than the CINEMA settings. Again, remember this was from just a few minutes viewing.

Lamp brightness. I set this to LOW as recommended which made a bit of difference on screen.
    My favorite picture to be honest is the lamp on normal and dynamic. This gives a lovely bright clear picture, though I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong here for using that mode.:lesson:

Now something that hit me in the face, and I knew it was but seeing it really hit home.

I have got the WORST possible room for a projector.

1: I have all my walls painted WHITE
    2: On the opposite wall to the projector I have 8 large mirrors. making a large amount of the wall a mirror.

So you can guess what the room was like when there was a bright screen. Yup, you guesses it' The whole bloody room lights up.:(

Now I knew this had to be addressed. but it's supprising just how much light you get back off the screen. And in turn this is probably damaging the look of the image. Nothing a screw driver and some nice dark paint wont fix.

I'm almost tempted to paint my whole end wall a Matt Black, but that may be a bit too severe, so a mid/bark blue may have to do.

I then proceeded to do the job I needed to do which was measure the screen position relative to the lens. Height wise mainly as I intend (at the moment) to mount it on the ceiling.

I have a bit of an issue here though at the moment.
    You obviously don't want the image to be right up too high on the wall (neck strain). I've been working it out, so the WHOLE screen (that you see whan you have the blue menu on) has it's bottom just above the top of the TV. So to be honest, the bottom of the screen won't be far off eye level. You'll have to look up still.

Problem is, mounting upside down, and wanting the image this far down, (and avoiding any keystone use) means the projector is going to have to be about 20" down from the ceiling. eg: Right in your face...... Not exactly what I was hoping for.

Having it on a table the right way up isn't much of an option as you may be getting in the way of the beam, plus because it's a small room, and the distance behind the projector to the wall, it means a shelf about 2ft + from the wall...... Hmmmmm

Still going with the ceiling mount right now.
    My current jaw dropping idea would be a Telescopic ceiling mount.
    So it normally sits up quite close to the ceiling, but you loosed a thumb screw and it drops down to the required height when in use.... The more I think of it, the more I like this idea.
    Just have to work the best way to achieve the design, but won't be too hard. Just have an outer collar fitted to the ceiling, with a aluminium shaft that goes up into the loft when the projector is up high and drops down to a fitted stop... Yup, I like it even more now I've typed this, so think that's what I'm gonna do.
    Ceiling mount mark 2 going to be started at work tomorrow.

I ordered it with a no dead pixel check and not seen anything yet, mind you I've not had the surface to check it well on yet but seems fine....

Regards screens. Currently as I like a bit of Punch from the picture I'd say I'll be going for a white screen to start with. If the blacks are too much of a problem then I'll dull it down later. but I do like a bright image.

On this note. I have a query about the lamp life and brightness mode.

I know MOST people appear to say they turn theirs onto low lamp setting (which isn't really THAT much difference) but anyway on this point:

Reading the manual It says the bulb SHOULD last and had been designed to last 2000 hours (100 DVD's !!!!! worth) :smashin:

It says this 2000 hour life is with the buld on NORMAL setting and not the low power mode (which you might expect it to last longer with)

It then goes to say for safety reasons it will give a warning as 2000 hours is approached and will stop working at the 2000 hour limit.

It sound then for bulb life reasons. There's very little to be gained in running in low power as it's gonna stop at the same time anyway.

OK, that's enough of my ranting for now.........
    Busy evening to take a LOT in.

Forgive bad grammer and spelling as all this was typed fast and as I thought of it.

Appreciate any comments / thoughts on any of the points above.

AT LAST I HAVE A PROJECTOR.............

Just have to get it all set up correctly (make ceiling mount) Make Screen, Paint walls, get new DVD Player with Componant out and progressive Scan, get rid of the mirrors, get a coax audio lead to my surround speakers and then impress some friends :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phew, hard work all this..

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But fun ;)

Congrats & welcome to front projection :smashin:

3. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    when i got mine --- connected to dvd via component picture was awesome

next up was my pc, using the 1:1 pixel mapping, powerstrip and theatertek

absolutely ****** on the dvd player

f*cking awesome picture

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Sounds like you're going to have lots of fun...... some comments to help you on your way:

If you can manage it, I'd highly recommend doing this (masking, that is...) - makes a hell of a difference.

It's your projector, if you want it set-up in high lamp mode pumping out a bright punchy image, then that's your business - I, for one, won't tell you "you're wrong" or anything like it. However....

..................... you're right.... an all white room (with 8 large mirrors :eek: , has someone got a "Snowwhites Stepmother" complex.....;) ) is probably the worst environment, cause you're going to get loads of light reflected from the room back onto the screen, which will wash out the image. I personally couldn't deal with the "all black" solution which some find acceptable, but using matt paint in a dark colour will certainly help, if you can manage it.

In those circumstances you might find that you can use a more muted setting on the projector and be just as/maybe more satisfied with the image - trust me, been there have the scars to show for it !

Recommended arrangement is to have your eyeline level with a point about a third the way up from the bottom of the screen - I know with the AE100s firing pattern (AE200 is the same afaik) that this can lead to having the projector mounted so low that you're in danger of clouting your head off it. The Telescopic mount has been done before (Kramer ?? - I'm almost sure - a search would find you the relevant thread/post....). Other alternative is to mount the PJ a little higher and use keystone (Shock !! Horror !! :eek: :eek: ) - I have the screen fully masked so can avoid using keystone - TBH, unless you're using a hcpc with 1:1 mapping, using a little keystone won't really be that noticeable - the pJ is donig scaling anyway; imho, with 1:1 mapping, keystone is just throwing away the mage quality and fidelity that you were striving for with the hcpc in the frst place.... ooops, jsut had a nerdy moment....:blush: others may disagree.

This is mistaken - I'm too knackered to try to explain exactly how.... but IIRC in low lamp mode the PJ counts the 2000 hrs for bulb life "more slowly" if you know what I mean - this has been discussed in relation to the AE100 in the past, there's a link in the FAQ to AE100 manuals where the service screen and the lamp counter indicators are explained.

Have fun with your new toy............

All the best,

Sean G.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Cheers dek

Yeah, that is my other option.
    To be honest my DVD player would DO untill I get something else sorted out.

I'm curious........... In what kind of way is the PC picture better ?

The screen can't be made any brighter can it......

I assume you mean colours.

Can the focus look any sharper ?
    I must admit I LOVE a crisp sharp clear image.
    I'd happily have some screen door and have a crisp image.

My PC needs to be make quieter if I was to do this.
    I have a 1Ghz Celeron machine (which I believe is enough for DVD Playback easily)
    I just need to pull the extra fans out I fitted, get a Radeon card and get the software... It's tempting. and the projector is right near where my PC is too......

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempset,

Looks like our posts "crossed" in the ether......... :blush:

Sean G.

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    theritz:

Thank's for your post and hints and tips.

1: So you like the DYNAMIC setting to ? Not just me then :)

2: Probably when the room is decorated and my pervy mirrors are gone things will improve a lot. Honest reason is in a small room a lot of mirrors make the room look a lot larger, taking them away will make the room look a lot smaller, but it has to be done.

3: Didn't think I was the only one to think of a telescopic mount, but yes agree with you, the AE200's throw does make it so you will bang your head on it if you want the image down low enough.

4: Black masking strips.... Am tempted to do this, but have to think of an easy way to move the things. I could use velcro on the edges (think black wood repositioned) I guess but a more technical method would be nice. Not hard to do, just the work involved.

5: So you get slower hours in low mode. Fair enough. To be honest I will probably run in low mode once the room is done. That said, if you DO get 2000 hours that is a lot of DVD's

6: I'm still tempted by the HTPC route as I want to get the VERY best out of my new toy (ahem, sorry I mean piece of serious equipment!)

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tempest,

Ahem.......:nono: For the record, my settings are default Radeon overlay setings, deault settings in Powerdvd, Hoya FLD filter with White Balance corrected in the projector, Brightness, Contrast and Sharpness calibrated using Avia.

Combined with an all-black screen-wall with variable aspect ratio masking, this produces the best standard of picture quality available from the projector.

All the best,

Sean G.

9. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Flash git !

Only Joking :hiya:
    Your setup sounds excellent.

As I have been looking at a new DVD player just for this purpose.
    I guess I'm wondering if it would be worth going the HTPC route. It just sounds so complex against just plugging in a componant DVD player and pressing play.

Just wondered if my 1ghz Celeron would be up to the job.
    I have a Voodoo 5500 card, but not sure if this would need to be dumped for a Radeon also.......

10. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Panny (fist PJ) is due for delivery today (from Discount Electrical too) along with a 106" screen.

I will be sat about 10 - 12 ft from the screen with the projector sat behind me on a on a telesopic speaker stand (wieghed down so it cannot move).Behing the PJ is a large window, so no chance of shelving or ceiling mount really. Using this stand I can site the PJ just above my head (seated position).

Is this a good place to put the PJ?

The only other option is to use a TV wall bracket fitted just above the window and inverting the PJ...but how low will this bracket have to be (10 - 12 ft from screen)?

11. IAMGEOFF

IAMGEOFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tempest you may remember I suggested the IKEA £20 Tupplur blind for a screen. This is white on 1 side and a light grey on the other.

12. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I bought the same combo from them a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased with it. At 10-12' from the screen you may find the screendoor to be an issue. My seat is about 14' away and it is much better. Havinf said that my wife tends to sit on the floor about 7' from the screen and thinks its great.

Unless you use the keystone correction the pj isn't as fexible as some when it comes to positioning. If you put the pj on a stand on the floor then it will need to be a few cm higher than the bottom of your screen. If you put it upside down suspended from the ceiling (the pj has a setting to do this) then it will need to be positioned a few cm below the top of your screen.

Good luck with your pj hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine:)

13. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Bassbin

Unfortunately the room is "L" shaped, making it awkward to get the ideal distance...I really should have bought a slightly smaller screen so I could use the full length of the room (about 18')

Im still waiting for Citylink :( and have had bad experiances with them before...especially on a Friday, as they close the warehouse over the weekend...think I'll leave it until 4pm then call them to see if it will be coming today or maybe going to pick it up myself (about 30 miles)

One quick question...what is the actual horizontal width of the screen?

14. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The viewable width is 92" and a black border to aid framing the image which adds an inch or two on each side. City Link messed me about to. If you call Discount Electrical they should be able to check online whether your kit is on a van. If you don't get it by 4pm as them to give you the consingment number and the number for your local City Link depot. If the driver runs out of time he may put on the system that he has carded you even if he hasn't so you may need to be persistent to ensure they don't keep you waiting until Monday. If the depot isn't too far from you then you should be able to pick it up just before closing. They thought of a pj and screen sitting in the carriers depot all weekend doesn't bear thinking about.

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    I sort of half remember this... Lot going on right now !

The screen is actually going to me the final piece of the jigsaw.
    1st job is redecorate the room to a darker colour.
    White and Mirrors a good projector room do not make !!!

Then I have to build the mount (see other thread)

When all fixed in place and aligned I shall worry about the screen. And will enjoy that part as this is all the heavy donkey work.

16. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well mine arrived at about 1.30pm
    Im well impressed..the 106" screen is absolutely massive :D
    PJ position isnt the greatest at the moment (just behind the sofa, slightly above seated head height..making it a target for the kids :( )
    Definately gonna have to mount it from the ceiling..maybe a removable suspended shelf hanging from the back of the RSJ which splits the room in two...any ideas??

Taking the PJ round to my mates on Sunday for the Liverpool v Man utd match...he's just converted a room into a pub!!
    Bar with optics and till! , pool table, fruit machine, quiz machine.....the whole shebang!!

How many hours should be shown on the menu..from new!! Mine says 66hrs!?!?! Seems a little high to me :(

17. tonyeck

tonyeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    66 hrs from new????

Mine was zero mate?? chase that up:eek:

18. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Mine says zero also..........

Would deff get that sorted, unless it's running perfect no dead pixels and you totally happy with it, and would rather leave as is than to risk a different unit.

19. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well its running fine with no dead pixels but how come its so high?...Surely a "Dead Pixel Check" doesnt last that long!!

Now on 70hrs after a couple of DVDs