1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100E Colour Bars?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cineman, Aug 17, 2004.

1. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oh help! My beautiful beloved Panny ae100 has come up with a new problem to baffle me. I've read all 11 pages of pj stuff on the subject and still can't find an answer. I've had a little green blob at the bottom of the screen for ages, yes I know it's a dust blob but as it's at the bottom and slightly off centre, it's hardly noticeable. But now! having just got the DVE disc and calibrated me picture about six weeks ago, I thought I'd clean the screen and dust the lens as well, all fine. However, switching on the pj, comes the new prob. when in 4:3 all's fine, but any other aspect ratio reveals two vertical bars slightly lighter (greener?) than the rest of the picture at the edges, when I checked it, these bars start in the 16:9 mode exactly where the edges of the 4:3 picture would be. Or rather the two bars are about six inches in from both screen edges. Although faint, this is a very noticeable problem. Should I contact Panny? or can one of you wonderful AV forum readers help? :lease:
    Thanks, Cineman.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Cineman,

Haven't come across this before................. :confused: ...

Did you notice this when in 16:9 mode before you cleaned it ? Did you have it running exclusively in 4:3 mode prior to that ? If this is a serious discolouration then a return to Panasonic might be your only option - there's a recent thread on the forum with a phone number which seems to get good results.

Sean G.

3. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for replying so quick. I usually watch films in 16:9 and only occasionally use 4:3 mode, like when I'm watching extras on dvd's, or if viewing discs from old TV shows. When I cleaned the pj, it was only the lens, I stay away from all that inside stuff, and when I turned it on later that day to find the error, it was still in 16:9 from the night before. When I got a bit curious about the bars, I measured them to find that they are exactly where the 4:3 edge usually is. I know how to get into the service menu, but can't seem to find any help there. When checking the white/red/green/blue screens therein though, the bars aren't noticeable at all! Could you tell me where to find that thread please? As you can probably guess, I'm getting desperate for help. (1664 hours high/668 low since July 2002)

Cineman.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cineman,

If all you did was clean the lens on the outside, then that shouldn't make any difference......... if it was a problem with the optics (polarisers or the lcd panels themselves) I'd expect to see the issue when displaying the R/B/G/ etc screens in the Service menu.... a bit of a puzzle, really....

I know it's a long shot but have you checked the connections to the pj ? (ypu haven't said which you are using, but if it's Svideo or Component then check that they are properly pushed in in case one of them has been disturbed when you wre cleaning (a veeerrry long shot, but worth a try..).

In any event, the thread with the phone number for Panasonic is This One - it appears that they may do PSU fixes outside of warranty, I don't know how you'd be fixed though. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the cleaning the lens, I can't see what that has to do with it....

The phone number which appears to get results in the thread is this one: 08705 357357.

Let us know how you get on.................

Sean G.

5. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well Sean, I don't know how it happened, but one day I had colour bars on both sides of the screen.....and now I don't! I didn't do anything, I didn't contact Panasonic, I just put the PJ on as usual one evening and there they were, gone! Maybe the lamp or the PJ are just showing signs of age, or maybe the great god of home cinema was smiling down on me.

So far I'm keeping my eye on it and all my fingers crossed. I'll let you know if it happens again. In reply to your connection question, component on dvd, s-vid for Sky,Freeview,VCR and PS2, all of which had the colour bar problem.
    So problem solved...for now, thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
    :thumbsup:

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad it sorted itself out for you :smashin: . Hope it stays that way.

:smoke:

7. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one other possible reason for discolouration....

The polorizers before and after the LCD pannels affect the colours of the screen. If the PJ gets a knock they can become lose and depending on the angle depends on the colours and locations affected.

For example, if the blue polerizer tilts out at its top, you will get a red at the top of your screen and a blue at the bottom.

This does mean you have to open and realign with the thing switched on.

I have doubts that its this as it wouldnt correct itself.

There is one other possibility...

There is an Analysis Block just after the lamp which is a grid of 64 sensors that pick up what the lamp is doing. This data is then fed into the image processors to correct any colour of brightness variations that the bulb is producing by applying a correction to the signal heading to the LCD pannels.

This is to help ofset lamp age spot affecting parts of the picture.

Even then i doubt if this either of these things would affect the image so specifically.

Stuart.