AE100E 100hr Filter Clean

A

Amelia

OK finally made it to the 100hr mark.

Pulled the filter out and used the vacuum to clean it. I vacuum nearly sucked the filter out!!! How do you guys clean the filter?

Regards
Amelia

IMO I'd recommend cleaning the filter a little more often - every 40 hrs or so. I've not had a great deal of experience with PJ's, but am I right in assuming that the filter on the AE100 is utter crap? It's so thin it hardly looks worthwhile having it present. Looking closely at it reveals what appear to be quite large gaps in the foam - certainly not very efficient at removing fine dust if you ask me.

Has anyone considered replacing it with a higher density foam (obvious caution required as overheating a potential major problem with this)

Jonno,
Sounds like a great idea, I will give it a go after another 96 hours. :)

In any case I don't recommend a Vacuum :confused:

Hi Richard,
I get roller shutters for the room tomorrow, which mean 100% light blockout :D How is your AE100 going?

Roger,
I guess the cleaning frequence is really going to depend on the amount of dust you get in the room. I have Tiles so I guess dust is less of an issue for me. As far as the filter goes I must agree, its pretty crappy :confused:

Best Regards
Amelia

Hi Amelia - AE100's fine - a couple of flickers the other night, but OK. Monsters Inc awesome - talk about gratuitous animation detail!
Having problems with the sound at the moment, but I'm sure I'll sort it out....

:)

R

Hi Richard,

My nephew got me a UK DVD (Monsters Inc) which plays fine and every thing, but on the DVD it has DTS, but I can't find it in the Menu?

Does the DVD have DTS or not?

Thanks
Amelia

Hi Amelia,

The first time that I tried cleaning the filter (as per instructions) I had the same problem. A modern upright with suck attachment is far too powerful for the job. It would have sucked the foam clean off the plastic had I allowed it!

The answer was to use an old/cheap floor type vacuum. These usually have a suction control on the plastic pipe (okay, its a hole that you can open). At lowest setting it provided the exact right suck.

El

What are these mountains of dust you're all talking about. Do you lot live in the desert or something? Are you on a ranch in the outback Amelia?:D My Ae100 has done 1880 hours (since end of April) and I think I've cleaned the filter about 5 times at most and it didn't even look like it needed it TBH. I didn't need to bother with a hoover either, I just blowed real hard through it!:D

*and no I don't live in a 'clean room' at an Intel Chip Fabrication plant:D

Originally posted by calibos
What are these mountains of dust you're all talking about. Do you lot live in the desert or something? Are you on a ranch in the outback Amelia?:D My Ae100 has done 1880 hours (since end of April) and I think I've cleaned the filter about 5 times at most and it didn't even look like it needed it TBH. I didn't need to bother with a hoover either, I just blowed real hard through it!:D

*and no I don't live in a 'clean room' at an Intel Chip Fabrication plant:D

/makes a mental note to remind the wife to hoover more often/ :D

Jeez Calibos,

1880 hrs since end of April ???

thats about 370 hrs a month - do you ever turn the blooming thing off?

Have to say that putting that many hours up on the AE100 gives the rest of us some encouragement - because of all the stuff over power supplies etc. I have to admit to a frisson of anxiety from time to time when switching on - hope I haven't jinxed myself now !

Incidentially, any evidence of green tinge one side/purple tinge on other in dark scenes ? most noticeable on "black bars" with 2.35:1 movies? I think I read on avsforum that this was expected with higher hours ? My own has a touch of it - I'm monitoring it - no dead pixels and don't particularly want to consign the proj to the tender mercies of Panasonic UK (who also deal with the Irish market) it would probably take forever and do more harm than good.....

Sean G.

I used one of those little hand held vacuum cleaners that have about as much suck as a little old lady yawning. No danger of the filter vanishing inside one of those ...

If its only sponge/foam wash it! Just a wash in mild soapy water, rinsed thouroughly and dried(make sure it is dry) and 'bob's your uncle'.
Whilst on this topic I would once again vent my spleen at the inadequacies of all the filters I've seen.
With my SV10 hopper I actually made a platform with a computer fan running from a power supply through soft foam feed filtered air to the filtered air intake of the PJ. I reckoned pre filtered air actually blowing in the the air intake would not only help keep the PJ cleaner, longer. But also supplement the hopper's own cooling system thus maintain lamp life by better cooling. I've had this set up for over two years now with no problems whatsoever. Oh yes and I have'nt had the need to clean the Hopper's filter for well over a year.
Another thing I did recently( as the PJ is three years old S/H value £6-700) I dismantled the lens and cleaned the six surfaces that had accumulated dust and a faint film due to atmospheric gunge ingressing into the internaly into the lens (Its not totally sealed). This made a huge difference but its not for the fainthearted. If anyone has a Phillips Hopper or others that use the same lens I'll tell you how to do it .

Have you tried aiming with your hoover?

We have a Dyson, I pull off the pipe leaving the hande bit on with the hoover going. Open the hole that cuts the suction and plant it on the foam. Once there close hole for full suction power for a few seconds, open hole and pull off filter CAREFULLY. Reapeat until whole thing is done. Works fine.

Seeing as I currently live in Naples and EVERTHING is covered in dust all of the time, I thought it made sense to be thorough. :)

Amelia the DTS in Monsters inc is in the language setup menu, very confusing and most of us missed it......:confused:

I can't believe it! I would have NEVER have found that!!!!

So the DVD starts, you select the Language "English" and then you have to go to Language setup and select either "English" or " DTS English". I never knew DTS English was a Language :confused:

Thanks YOU

Best Regards
Amelia

Just for your reference most if not all DVD's that have a DTS soundtrack have it in the language setup menu, don't ask me why, bloody stupid place to put it and it gets most people the first time they get a DTS DVD.

Just out of interest, Gladiator R2 and The Mummy Returns R2 also have DTS soundtracks.

All of my DTS DVDs (region 4) with the exception of my Region 2 Monsters Inc, have the DTS setting under Audio Setup. Which looks like a much more logical place to me.

Regards
Amelia

Looks like region 4 have got it right, maybe who ever sorts the region 1 & 2 stuff should hire someone from region 4, then we might get sensible menus:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom