1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100: will it fit my room layout?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jenwilson, Apr 14, 2002.

1. jenwilson

jenwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about getting AE100 projector but not sure if my room layout will really accomodate it.

Room is 16ft x 10ft with 2 sofas along the long wall.

Screen would be over the (as yet non existant fireplace) on the other long side of the room.

So maximum distance of the projector is 10 ft (probably more like 9ft from the front of the projector including room for cables at rear etc.) to the screen.

Seating distance would be around 7ft from the screen.

If I need to sit at 2x the screen width to eliminate screen door/chicken wire, this leaves the screen only being 42inches diagonal (I'm assuming when people quote screen width they really mean the diagonal? if not then obviously its going to be less) which is only(!) 10 inches more than my current TV set.

Is this likely to be worth it? Anybody else viewing a projected image this size?

Is it possible to get a bigger picture whilst still accomodating the room layout?

Thanks.

Jen.

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is 12ft by 10ft. My sanyo plv30 is currently 10ft back , and i get a 6ft 5 max image, although im getting a five foot screen( wall will not take 6ft image as the sreen will have borders. I sit 4 foot away, and the image is brilliant. I do intend to move the seating back to about 9ft once my screen is on the wall, and the projector will be 11ft back. I dont think you have a problem sitting to close to an image on a projector. Rear projection tv would be really crap that close up (you only have to walk round Dixons/curry's etc to see the quality of the pic close up. I would say try and demo a pj with your room measurements. That's what i did, i was worried the image would be crap if i sat too close. What joy when i found out how wrong i was.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, "screen width" is just what it says: the width of the screen. When "screen size" is quoted, most of the time it's the diagonal. If your're sitting 7 ft from the wall (213 cm for us continentals), your screen width indeed 107 cm. That gives you a screen size of 122 cm ( which is 48" for you islanders ;) which is quite a bit larger can your TV set.

The funny thing is though, it doesn't really matter how big the screen is. In the dark, without context clues from the room you're in, if you sit at 2 times the screen width, you will percieve the same screen size, wether is it 7' or 20'. If you mount the screen a bit higher up, it will look a bit bigger, if you mount it a bit lower, it wil look a bit smaller. A big screen looks more impressive when the lights are on, but a small screen is brighter.

Also, the 2x screen width rule is not a rule, it more like a guideline. You may find you can still enjoy the picture if you site closer than 2x, or if the screendoor bothers you a lot, you may fing you'll have to sit further away.