1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 vs Benq SL705S

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Amelia, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am shopping for a Projector. The problem I have is I have seen both of the above projectors and the Benq SL705S (which is a DLP) that pretty much kills the AE100 but . . . . there are a couple of problems with the Benq:

1. Globe life is only 1500 hrs
    2. Not sure about the Name and support

Any one have any thoughts on the Benq ?

The purchase price of the AE100 and the Benq are pretty much the same.

Best Regards
    Amelia

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The body shape of the Benq is very familiar. I'll bet you an Ozzie Dollar that it's a clone of someone elses projector. It happens a lot in this industry.

The Benq is really a business presentation projector, but as long as you are happy with the performance compared to the Panasonic then go for it.

Regards

3. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As much as it can be used for presentations, its not ideal when you consider its a 16:9 projector and not a 4:3

I don't know how many of you are aware of this, but Benq is really Acer.

In any case I have compared both side by side and Benq comes up miles on top as far as Image Quality goes and Contrast. I am reading posts about the problems with the AE100 and I am guessing if Panasonic are having problems, what hope does the Benq have.

Oh well, I am buying one of them tomorrow, but yet to decide which :confused:

Best Regards
    Amelia

4. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best of luck Amelia It`s dead hard isn`t it? It took me ages to decide.
    Please let us know what you do buy and tell us all about it
    Regards W.M.

5. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I can offer some insight here.

the Benq proj. you are looking at has appeared in at least 2 other forms:

LG RD-JT20

and rather more obscurely;

Dream-Vision Cinexone.

The second is interesting, as Dreamvision cinexone is marketed with home cinema in mind and you can read my review of it here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40960

Therefore this bodes well for the Benqs performance. You could look at www.dreamvision.net/index_uk.htm to see the exect specs of the machine.

Hope this is of some help.

6. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Of course in this country (UK) of course, the Panny is half the price of the others!!!!!! Would be when you want one of the others!!!!!

7. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi maj74,

Thanks for the link and extra info. It seems like its a variation of the two units you mentioned. As far as pricing goes I can get the AE100 for $3800AUD (Australian Dollars) and the Benq $3926.

Its Positives are:
    DLP and Truely Great Picture

Its Negatives are:
    Not as much support as the Panasonic
    Significantly less Globe life (1500hrs as opposed to 5000hrs)

Hi Walter mitty,

I will let you know which I go for if I could only decide (It's 9:30am Friday Morning here and I am supposed to be buying one).

I had a talk to a Non Benq dealer and he basically said Acer changed name to Benq so as to disassociate themselves with all the problems people were having with Acer projectors. I mean is he telling the truth or is it just a sales pitch to get me to buy the AE100 :confused:

I know this isn't a fair question to be asking, but what would you guys do, go for a Name product or an unknown purely based on picture quality?

Best Regards
    Amelia

8. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    choices, choices
    At the end of the day, you've got to decide how good the warranty from each is from each company. I mean buying new from a credited retailer has got to involve at least a one year warranty. Also woth finding out is if the dealers you're looking at will fire the machine up before you take it away and check if their are any dead/stuck mirrors/pixels. If it develops any in like the first few weeks, will they exchange it or whatever...

These are the questions you need to think about. Given you've got your answers to those, then yes, absolutely, go for the machine with the better picture quality. I mean after all, that's what you;re buying it for

With regards to bulb life, it depends how much you intend to use it. My projector tends to be a 'let's watch a decent film at the weekend' sort of machine and the odd other occasion, which meant that even a 1000 hour bulb had a fair life in it.

Good luck with the deciding!

9. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks maj74,

Once again you have been a GREAT help :)

I think I had reached a dead end and it's really good to have someone who isn't directly involved to look at things with an open mind.

I like the idea of trying it out first before taking it home and asking about warranty etc.

For some reason I thought furniture, colors speakers would be the hard part, never thought it was going to be the projector :confused:

Thanks again

Best Regards
    Amelia

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Acording to the specs there's either an 800x600 (a 4:3 DLP panel) or a 1024x768 (another 4:3 DLP panel) model. Neither appear to use a true 16:9 panel, but will do 16:9 compression for anamorphic DVD.

It isn't that important, there are plenty of good home cinema projector based on 4:3 panels.

Regards

11. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

This may sound like a stupid question, but what is anamorphic DVD?

The reason I said it's a 16:9 chip, is because this is what I was told by the sales person. Even in 4:3 mode you get the Black bars on either sides of the screen.

Am I wrong?

Best Regards
    Amelia

12. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Amelia,

First off, have you watched the Benq in action for a subtantial length of time? Many people see rainbows when they watch movies on DLP projectors, and it's very annoying.

Second, anamorphic DVD has nothing to do with 4:3 panels. What you've got to find out is whether that projector has a "16:9 mode" (most modern projectors do). That way, you'll set up your DVD TV option as "Widescreen" and set the projector to 16:9 and it will squeeze the picture to its correct aspect ratio.

For more information on anamorphic enhancement on DVDs, see here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html

Regards.

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Not a stupid question at all. It is often misunderstood.

DVD offers the potential of a higher resolution picture for widescreen movies than VHS or Laser Disc. This is acheived by stretching the widescreen picture vertically so that it uses more of the frame resolution. This is Anamorphic or deliberate distortion.

Playing an anamorphic image without correcting the distortion makes people and objects look tall and skinny. If a TV or projector has a widescreen mode it can correct the shape whilst retaining some of the resolution benefits.

A 4:3 TV (or projector using a 4:3 panel) will squash the image vertically leaving black bars top and bottom. A Widescreen TV or projector with a 16:9 panel will stretch the image width to correct the distortion. Playing 4:3 on a 16:9 screen leaves black bars left and right.

Maybe the salesman gave you the wrong information.

Certain projectors that use a 4:3 panel have smart scaling. At Philips we use it on all our projectors. It means that a 4:3 projector can operate like a 16:9 panel projector. If you have a 16:9 screen you would get black bars left and right when playing a 4:3 image. Perhaps the Benq can also do this. I can't tell though because their website froze whilst I was downloading the manual.

Regards

14. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris & Grubert,

Its really interesting in that I spent many hours talking to sales people over a number of weeks and in the few days I have been a member of this board, I have learnt so much.

Thanks very much all your help.

As far as spending a substantial length of time watched the Benq in action, the answer is yes. I was probably watching it for about 20min (well I guess not that long). It's colors were very rich, in fact probably too rich. Brightness wasn't an issue and screendoor effect was only visible at about four feet.

I didn't notice any rainbows effect, but then again I wasn't looking for it.

Don't get me wrong, it is in the LCD price range and produces one of the best images I have seen, but I think its too new to judge. I know Benq is Acer, but the name Benq has only been around for a couple of months.

I think . . . I have decided to go with the AE100, main reason being I am not sure about backup and support in years to come from Benq.

Best Regards
    Amelia

15. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the NecLT75Z?????Its in the same price range and has 3 year warranty,at least here in europe.

16. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't even come across any NECs. Just had a look at NEC (Australia) and the model is available.

I had better check it out.

Regards
    Amelia

17. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Amelia

The NecLT75z is the svga(improved in my opininon) version of the
    famous Lt150 that has been a best seller for a long time.Nec in my experience is a pretty reliable company,noone else gives such a long warranty.Also,as long as you discover you are okay with Dlp's(because some people aren't)you may also have in mind the
    PLUS PIANO.A lot of people like it and an improved version just came out.The thing with PLus is i dont know if there is a dealer that can show you this projector.My opinion is that anyone who doesnt see rainbows and doesnt get headaches from Dlp,she better buy a dlp because the picture is superior to LCD at least at this level.The word of mouth is the new PIANO is incredible.You may read an early review on Projectorcentral.
    My opinion is that the best affordable projector of the moment is
    the INFOCUS SCREENPLAY but its more expensinve.

18. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You`ve had it for the Piano....I`ve been waiting for months with loads of phone calls and false promises...thats if your living in the uk of course.. I `ve taken a chance on the panny ...it` s very good like they say

19. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Walter

OK . . now I know this is going to sound like a real dumb question but, is the Panny short for the Panasonic? is this correct?

Thanks
    Amelia

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Amelia, Panny is the short name for the Panasonic Projector......

21. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Now I can't believe I asked the question :blush: :blush:

22. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha ha

you better believe it Amelia

23. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Amelia..........

Hi...........

Are you on the owners list now?

Please post your comments on the panny It`ll be interesting to know how yours is,and what you think.

regards

24. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Walter,

I finally got the call saying "Its In" :D

I picked it up last night and managed to clock up a humble 2hours on it (only 4998 hours to go). In any case no dead pixels, or any other problems. My concern about the Screen Door effect doesn't seem to be a problem, I think I spent too much time in the store looking at the screen at point blank range.

Colours are also GREAT even though I was projecting onto a wall.

Its now packed up and the Room is getting its makeover . . . should be great.

And you want to have a laugh, I was convinced there was a dead pixel, because of a small black spot. As it turns out is was a black spot . . . on the wall :blush:

Thanks again for all help guys.

BEST REGARDS
    Amelia