AE100 very long first post sorry!

P

Porrm

Hello,

I'm about to take the plunge and order a Panasonic AE100 for our new (Still a junk room at the moment) AV room and I have a number of questions (If you get bored just answer one and let someone else do the next! Ta!): -

Firstly I am planning on arranging a demo with a local dealer but I've got the feeling that they will charge a lot more than the prices you lot are quoting here for buying online. Would you say it's worth the risk to order online with a pixel check bearing in mind the problems with some of the units that have been purchased already?

My next problem is connections: -

I need to connect my DVD Player (Panasonic A160) and an X Box (Just got it last week! My eyes are starting to bleed!).

I am going to be running the sound through my Denon AVR1601.

The DVD player to PJ isn't too much of a prob since it has an S-Vid out which I will connect to the pj S-Vid in. (Don't think I can stretch to a new DVD player with component out's)

The X Box is a different matter! Can you get a converter for the advanced scart to change the S-Vid or RGB into Component?

My next problem is getting Dolby Digital from both my DVD player and the Xbox!

My Denon has both coaxial and optical digital in's but the DVD player only has Optical out and as far as I can tell you can only get an optical out from the Xbox!

Is there a converter to take you from optical to coaxial or vice versa!

And lastly what's the latest on stock levels, prices and are there any deals on at the moment for free screens? If not I am going down the MDF Icestorm route until our finances recover!!

Cheers in advance! :rolleyes: :blush:

To answer your last query firstTechtronics (search threads for comments about their customer service) are selling the AE100 for £1500 with a free 60" diagonal screen. I think its the same one that is normally given away with the Sony projector. They are showing 23 in stock at the time of posting.

To answer your second question, well...second, if you get the High Definition AV pack for your XBox you can use component out. I don't think this pack is available here, but you can use a US one on your UK box with no problems.

You can buy one here!

This also has an optical out to connect to your amp, but I'll leave someone else to tackle the optical/co-ax question...

I take it the amp only has one optical input?

Keir :)

Thanks for your replies!

Yep my Denon only has one optical and one coaxial in.

My brain is starting to hurt thinking about this now I guess I'm just a bit impatient, now that we have taken the decision to buy I want to come in from work tomorrow and have it all done and ready to watch!!:D

I'm holding off watching any of our DVD's until the room is finished so that's making it worse!

I did a search on the forum and found mention of Maplins doing a optical to coaxial converter but when I had a look at it, it mention Toslink optical to coaxial? is this what I need? I hope not cause this thing needed another power supply and I have enough things to plug in already.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by KevinR
To answer your last query firstTechtronics (search threads for comments about their customer service) are selling the AE100 for £1500 with a free 60" diagonal screen. I think its the same one that is normally given away with the Sony projector. They are showing 23 in stock at the time of posting.

OUCH £1500

This pj can be had from an official dealer for £1219 inc delivery and with free pixel check. That leaves enough change to choose a better screen :)

I would also check Techtronics level of customer service by searching on Deja.Youwill find them mentioned frequently!

Originally posted by Bert Coules

Which official dealer is that?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert I have sent you a pm

You need to ring them for the pj as the web site is not complete and the person you need to talk to is Ben Miller.

Originally posted by Meat
Why not share this official dealer with all of us?

Its no secret and I have posted it before as have others.
Its mentioned in the plasma screen thread.

http://www.discounttv.co.uk/whyshop.htm

You need to either ring them or email them ref the PJ as that part of the site is not complete yet.

JSW

Many thanks for the e-mail reply. Order placed and i'm third on the waiting list. Just got off the phone to Ben who is a very enthusiastic owner of an AE100. He can also supply an Ixos VGA cable in any length for those budding HCPC'ers out there.

Guys please mention AV Forums when you talk to Ben
and there maybe good exclusive deals to all of us in the future :)

Nice one Ben.

Hello,

Did Ben say how long the wait will be?

Since the first post I have ordered an XBOX High Def Av cable from DVDcrave.com and I think it has only cost about £15!!!

Any thoughts on Optical to coaxial converters?

Cheers:)

Porrm

Ben couldn't say how long - pretty much like all dealers in the UK. He said Panasonic hardly sold any projectors in the UK last year and were caught out by the demand for the AE100. When I cancelled my order with totalpanasonic today they told me they were expecting some to be delivered yesterday but none turned up. The guy on the phone said Panasonic told him only 22 Pjs were received in the UK! on that batch.

A lot of dealers are estimating 'the end of May' but you better get your orders in now to get one of them.

Hi

Yes he said within the next 2 weeks.

He will find out a few days before and let us know.

BTW your debit/credit card will not be debited until your pj ships :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom