1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae100 to ??????????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Splice, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

I'm thinking of buying a projector to replace the ae100 i just sold,because i really need short throw, it really only leaves the z1, ae300, tw100,....i think.... also 1-1 pixel mapping rules out the ae300, i quite like the look of the sony hs10 or vw12 (never seen in action) but that will mean a major room move around. The sanyo z1 (never seen in action) may be a possible (but only small upgrade), does anyone know if the sanyo has as a service menu to adjust the fan speed when in low life, like the panny,i did a search on here but found nada. as i tend to leave the projector on for hours at a
    time and i wouldnt want it going the same way as the panny was before i upped the speed of the fan in the menu.(incidently to all ae100 owners)putting the fan up on high when in long lamp life without a shadow of a doubt prevents the serious yellowing that you get if you leave the fan at default) what i want is a projector that can be 1-1 pixel perfect with my htpc, similar short throw lens like the panny no dead pixels,vertical banding. i really am starting to regret selling the ae100 now as i did finally get such a good one (had 3 previously with different faults). i know the z1 is not a huge upgrade but judging by what i have read on the forums, its still going to be an improvment on the panny.anyone able to give me some suggestions.ie can the short throw lens for the sony be got for a reasonable price, can sony lamps be bought at a reasonable price. anyone seen both the sony and the sanyo and how much of a major improvment is the sony? i really want to get something that i'm not going to loose two thirds of the value like i did this time. anyone got wind of any imminent price cuts. Maybe someone even has something second hand to tempt me :D

all the best....Splice ;)

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AE100 to Z1 is an improvement, but a small one IMO. AE300 - forget it - the smoothscreen really does soften the image too much IMO &, as you say, no 1:1 mapping from HCPC :(

It is quiet though :D

Minimum I'd suggest is a 1280x720 panel PJ, either LCD (cheap(ish) or DLP (not so cheap).

So that's TW100, LPX500, HS10 or 12HT (on the LCD side anyway). HT1000 is a fine PJ but still far too low a res IMO - pixels are far too big & very noticeable from reasonable viewing distances (again, to me anyway).

HS10 - long throw (short throw lens expensive) & noisy but absolutely stonking PQ. 1:1 via DVI & the highest pixel count of any (currently available) LCD PJ. Pixels are tiny too & very densely packed.

TW100/LPX, great PJs too, but inferior to the HS10 IMO. May have better blacks out of the box, but tweak the HS10 & I believe it's black level is up there with the best LCD can offer. Also issues with VB/panel noise on most LCD PJs, inc. those mentioned. Absolutely none of these issues with the HS10.

So that's the current state of play. I'd say HS10 all the way, but the long throw & noise probably rule it out for you.

There's an excellent LPX500 for sale in the classified section - pixel defect free & an excellent performer - probably a better choice for you.

BTW, I've owned (AE100 x2, HS10) or seen all the PJs mentioned here, along with a few CRTs & an MT8. Your decision but a demo(s) are recommended.

Nexnix always helpful in this regard if you're anywhere near & usually have most of these in stock/available for demo.

:smoke:

3. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the informative reply kramer, just curious if you was offered a vw 12 for the same price as your hs10 which would you go for. Techrtronics have got the vw12 for £1994 and your hard pushed to get the hs10 for much cheaper than that. I'm toying with going in to london tomorrow to see if i can demo any. the vw12 is at least a grand dearer every where else. god knows how they can knock em out at that price.

|All the best...........Splice :smashin:

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was the fan noise not a killer though? Fortunately my room is quite cool to say the least (and the pj is only run for 3 hrs max) and as such I believe the over temp of the unit doesn't get too high. I would like to use the high fan option, but it's too damn loud. ('spose I could try and construct a hush box though!)

btw, do Techtronics not still come with a health warning? :suicide:

5. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol yeah i think they should....
    re the fan, the long and short of it is that if you don't turn the fan up you will slowly but surely destroy the optics of your projecor. see the thread that calibos did a while ago and i have seen the start of the same thing on all the ae 100's i have had. As soon as i upped the fan the problem never got noticably worse.. i even started turning it to full every 2 or 3 hours just to give it a little bit of a blast to cool it down. imo it is caused by these small cases (not enough air circulation) i really got used to the extra noise very quickly. just bought an hs10 TODAY!!! so with this projector having a fan that is renowned for more fan noise, i had already prepared myself by turning up the fan up on the ae100.....maybe i secretly wished for the hs10 and didnt realise it..

all the best........Splice ;)

6. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've started noticed the odd quick flicker - especially when viewing my PC desktop - that other AE100 owners have experienced. When I put the lamp unit on high, it seemed to stop the flicker. (This was only a quick test mind - and it could have been me just convincing myself that it had cured the problem) Anyway, I was wondering whether these two issues were possibly linked in anyway? I'm more curious now about the heat soak problem and will look into it further.

I've accumulated about 700+ hours on my AE100 and not noticed any colour stain problems at all. WHen does the problem usually manifest itself - how many hours?