1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 to Z2 Contrast differance.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Ok.... Its Christmas day, but my better half is watching soaps :rolleyes:
    Are there any previous AE100 owners out there that have upgraded to the Z2? if so, marking out of ten what would you give the Ae100 and the Z2 for contrast.

Also if Buns woul like to comment on the Cr differance between the PLV-30 gainst the Z2 as my Brother has the PLV-30 and would love to upgrade to 16:9 and better CR.

The Cr is said to be 500:1 for the AE100 and 400:1 for the plv-30, yet the contrast is much better on my Brothers plv-30, but he is using a home made screen, and i use a white pull down da-lite.

Hope your all having a great Christmas.

Tim

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the plv30 was always commented to have a particularly good contrast ratio.

Unfortunately, im in a bit of a biased position. Out of the box, the Z2 has a somewhat greater CR, but i might be inclined to argue that the black level on the Z2 might be a bit higher than on the plv30 (of course the the Z2 white level is enormously higher hence the improved CR). Certainly the conditions which will prove most favorable to the Z2 are not the same as for the plv30. Im fairly sure that the dvi connection i am using requires some sort of filtering/darker shade of icestorm to correct for colors and to help lower the black level.

To be truly honest, I find any CR figures hard to believe..... they blast up the CR and do likewise with the peak white..... so it kinda figures that the blacks are not actually improving very much if at all. I suggest that if your main desire is a great improvement in black level over something like the plv30..... the Z2 isnt what you need. In other senses it blows it away, but lcd black fairly much strikes me as being lcd black, no matter how the manufacturers dress it up.

All the best

ad

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for your comments Buns. Maybe DLP is the way to go, the ones I have seen offered pretty good blacks and that was a couple of years ago at the Manchester show. its a pitty the Sim2 domino isn't £1500.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any chance of crt Timh? If blacks are your thing, there really is no better way to go.

ad

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have seen CRT a couple of times and was blown away, but having one of those slabs in my lounge is out of the question. My Brother could as his setup is a in a converted Garage.
    I can only dream of deep blacks and good shaddow detail.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I changed from an AE300 to a Z2, IIRC the 300 has on paper a 100 improvement in CR .. I can definetly say that the blacks on the Z2 are a lot better .. while still grey rather than black I find them a lot less irksome than my 300 when using my white 1.2 fixed screen .. on the 0.8 grey I have the Z2 provides an excellent image but slightly dim for an ideal.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol sounds like we have totally opposite complaints about the same machine! Perhaps this is one of the reasons why middle ground machines are always getting sniped at in some sense, everyone wants something different!

Tim, what is the comparison of blacks between ae100 and plv30? ( i mean in practice, not on paper)

ad

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, I do know you've done a lot more calibration than I, I haven't attempted gamma for example beyond fiddling with the slider in TheaterTek :) .. it could well be the changes you've made explain the differences.

I did a lot of playing with the 300 and probably not all for the better :), this time I've only done a basic Avia setup and will wait for annoyances to become aparrent before trying to be more ambitious.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Buns

I have only seen these projectors on differant occasions, as they have not been viewed side by side. My Brother has his Cinema totally blacked out with dark ceiling, walls and carpet, his screen is MDF painted with icestorm 5 and 6 mixed 50-50.
    The Sanyo on his screen seem's to offer better shaddow detail and obvious blacker blacks, but doesn't seem as bright and colourful as my setup. (calibrated with THX optimode and blue filter) time for Avia I think.

I have found the blacks on my setup seem to be getting an even lighter shade of grey recently, not helped by an ageing lamp and white screen, and some light coming through vertical blinds from a near by street lamp. . The AE100 is a little limited in adjustment with componant, and does not offer red green and blue adjustment (only with VGA). I would have gone for Avia by now if it were not for this.
    I did try the FLD filter for a while, which did only slightly improve contrast, but reduced the lumens to much for me and mucked up the colours :(

So i guess its maybe a Z3 or Z4 for me in a year or 2, or maybe a dlp if a nice cheap one becomes available with no Rainbow.

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well you brother has a pretty dark screen! I was using 100% of the lighter of the 2 icestorms to achieve mine and thought i was doing pretty well.

Im still in full tweaking of mine..... i spend another while yesterday and can now say that the Z2 looks very good apart from the black. Though take note that i mean the absolute black, not the shadow reproduction or whatever you term it. The lowest black simply is too high, but the details in the shadows are still visible if you calibrate it reasonably. I am going to try a couple of filters and see what i come up with...... i also have a fairly novel idea for a screen..... if and when i get to doing it, i will make sure to let you know if this changes my view on the blacks! I certainly believe they can be better than i have.

can you not get to a quick demo? it shouldnt take too long to decide if its an improvement

ad