1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Ae100 to PS2 info needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ibster, Feb 6, 2003.

1. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So ive taken the plunge, an AE100 is on its way to me now ;-)

just had a couple of questions,

Ive heard that connecting the PS2 to the AE100 via a component lead gives best results;

Will it give a better picture then my dvd connected to the AE100 via an S video ? if so i could use the PS2 for dvd playback,

also does the UK PS2 support Progressive scan ? due to it being a PAL spec machine can i get NTSC progressive ?

How does a dvd region x work ? if i use this and play back a R1 dvd, does it convert the image from NTSC to PAL or play it back in NTSC.

Finally where can i buy a PS2 comonent cable from in the uk.

thanx in advance

2. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Fellow AE100 + PS2 user here. I do not use the PS2 for DVD viewing, but I've been experimenting with DVD playback so I am able to comment.

Component is slightly better than S-video on the PS2. However, the DVD picture quality with PS2 S-video is noticeably worse than the s-video picture quality of my secondary DVD player, a Sony DVP-S335. My suggestion for you is to buy a real progressive DVD player, such as the Philips DVD-963SA or a Limit player some people are talking about. Check some other areas of the forum. The picture quality will be much, much better than with a PS2.

PS2 does not support progressive DVD playback. The USA model doesn't, either. Only a few PS2 games support progressive scan.

DVD Region X works like this: insert DVD Region X disc -> select preferred region with the controller -> PS2 ejects DVD Region X disc -> insert R1 DVD -> press X on the controller. The PS2 does not convert video, NTSC is output as NTSC and PAL as PAL.

I own a third party PS2 component cable, and I am experiencing major interference in DVD playback (no problem with games). It seems like Macrovision could be acting up, the picture is completely unwatchable. I have yet to try the official Sony component cable, but will be able to test it soon.

BR,
    Olaiho

3. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for the reply, ive now ordered a PS2 component cable so hopefully i should have it all working by the weekend ;-)

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks mate,

got my cable at the weekend, had a quick play, colours seem real good although dvd playback was not as good as my dvd via -svid, at least ive got lots of gaming hours to look forward to ;-)