1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ae100 to PS2 info needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ibster, Feb 6, 2003.

1. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So ive taken the plunge, an AE100 is on its way to me now ;-)

just had a couple of questions,

Ive heard that connecting the PS2 to the AE100 via a component lead gives best results;

Will it give a better picture then my dvd connected to the AE100 via an S video ? if so i could use the PS2 for dvd playback,

also does the UK PS2 support Progressive scan ? due to it being a PAL spec machine can i get NTSC progressive ?

How does a dvd region x work ? if i use this and play back a R1 dvd, does it convert the image from NTSC to PAL or play it back in NTSC.

Finally where can i buy a PS2 comonent cable from in the uk.

thanx in advance

2. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Fellow AE100 + PS2 user here. I do not use the PS2 for DVD viewing, but I've been experimenting with DVD playback so I am able to comment.

Component is slightly better than S-video on the PS2. However, the DVD picture quality with PS2 S-video is noticeably worse than the s-video picture quality of my secondary DVD player, a Sony DVP-S335. My suggestion for you is to buy a real progressive DVD player, such as the Philips DVD-963SA or a Limit player some people are talking about. Check some other areas of the forum. The picture quality will be much, much better than with a PS2.

PS2 does not support progressive DVD playback. The USA model doesn't, either. Only a few PS2 games support progressive scan.

DVD Region X works like this: insert DVD Region X disc -> select preferred region with the controller -> PS2 ejects DVD Region X disc -> insert R1 DVD -> press X on the controller. The PS2 does not convert video, NTSC is output as NTSC and PAL as PAL.

I own a third party PS2 component cable, and I am experiencing major interference in DVD playback (no problem with games). It seems like Macrovision could be acting up, the picture is completely unwatchable. I have yet to try the official Sony component cable, but will be able to test it soon.

BR,
    Olaiho

3. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for the reply, ive now ordered a PS2 component cable so hopefully i should have it all working by the weekend ;-)

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks mate,

got my cable at the weekend, had a quick play, colours seem real good although dvd playback was not as good as my dvd via -svid, at least ive got lots of gaming hours to look forward to ;-)