1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 - Switch off at power switch or Standby

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by itspman, Jul 3, 2002.

1. itspman

itspman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do most of you do ...

Do you switch it off at the power switch when not in use or leave it in standby mode via the remote.

I have had my Ae100 for about 4 months and have always left it in standby mode via the remote when not in use.

Last weekend I was going to demonstrate the system to a friend of mine when the projector went bang when I tried to bring it out of standby.

Thankfully I bought it from The panasonic shop in Watford and they agreed to swap it over straight away with no issues (now thats what I call service).

My question is I would like to prolong the life of the new one and wondered what you other guys do in terms of powering on off etc.

Thoughts would be welcomed

Regards

Adrian:)

2. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

standby seems to be the best bet for prolonging the life of the PJ unless you intend to leave it off for several days. Your machine probably blew up due to one of the faulty power supplies fitted to early machines. I belive another thread mentions this but can't remember where.:)

3. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I know if my machine is an early machine, or a newer version?

Is there any way of telling if i have that problem to look forward too in the next 4 months :)

4. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    "How do I know if my machine is an early machine, or a newer version"

The date of manufacture is stamped underneath. Mine is jun 2002.

BTW when mine is in standby mode it emits a sound? You have to put your ear close to be able to hear it. Its a high pitch sound the turns on and off about every second.

5. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will check mine when i get home - any idea however what is classed as an early (possible problem) machine and what can be classed as a new machine form a date perspective?

(dont know about that sound - sorry :-(

6. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think any PT-AE100 made on or after May 2002 should be ok.

7. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does standby prolong the life of the bulb compared to switching off completely? I don't get it.

I always switch it off completely after the fan has stopped.

Tor Arne

8. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is due to the surge of power that will go into the bulb when switched on rather than when it has been it standby. This in the long run could effect the lifetime of the bulb.

If you get what I mean.

9. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you avoid the surge of power when you just power it up from standby. It will happen every time you wake it up too.

That's my impression. :)

Tor Arne

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

I agree. I have a Toshiba and when I switch on the power it comes on in standby mode anyway so I see no difference to the bulb by leaving it in standby.

I have used three projectors (two Hitachis and the Tosh) and all three made a very low humming noise when in standby mode (some one mentioned above that the AE100 makes a noise in standby mode also). If there is noise then the pj is "doing something" and if a machine is at work (no matter how insignifigantly) it must be shortening its life span. So I always switch off the power to my pj when it has gone to standby mode.

I know that I'm talking really long term here and this would have nothing to do with machines dying after a few months.

Regards

Conor

11. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Hitachi CP-X275W makes a slight buzzing sound when in standby.

Tor Arne

12. StJonno

StJonno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in a previous thread about the same subject

I had a demo of this proj at the weekend, and if my memory serves me correctly (which it rarely does!) , the sequence for power up is:-

1.Turn on switch at the back (two red LED's come on, PSU probably stabilising)
    2. One LED ges out the other turns green (?)
    3. Press 'Power' button on top of unit
    4. Lamp goes through startup routine

My point is, either turning the unit on from the main switch, or turning on from standby shouldn't make any difference as before the lamp will power up, stages 1&2 above must have been completed, either when the projector was first powered up , or having been restarted from standby. The power consumption in standby is quoted as 0.7 watts, which makes me think the main PSU for the lamp is probably not powered up anyway, so I would be very suprised if either method of start up is any better or worse than the other. what do others think?