1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 Screen Setup

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aderose, Mar 22, 2002.

1. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First I'd like to say that I've been reading this forum for the past 2 days and It has been extremely helpful, so thanks.

Ok, now for my question. I'm pretty sure I want the AE100. The projector will be about 10 ft from the wall where I want to mount the screen, and I'll be sitting about 10 ft from the wall. According to projectorcentral that means my screen size can range from 6.9 - 8.5 ft - which means at best my viewing distance will be 1.4x my screen size. My room size/furniture setup is not very forgiving so the measurements for viewing distance and projector location are pretty much fixed. Would this setup be reasonable if I'm looking to get the most out of this "little puppy" ?

My next question is about the screen - what screen should I get? - I intend to leave it permanently affixed to my wall. What's up with so many people painting prefabricated boards for screens? Is this do-it-yourself job really as good as the $300 (or however much Ill have to spend) screens? If it ain't I could use some recommendations on a good 16:9 screen.

Which brings me to my last question. I'm looking to connect my PC (Nvidia Personal Cinema) to the RGB input and my Digital Cable box to the s-video input. The PC should output native 16:9 but the s-video will be 4:3. With the 4:3 input will the projector choose to:
    a) expand the vertical size (in which case the image will go off my 16:9 screen)
    b) decrease the horizonal size
    c) let me choose

I'd be equally happy with b or c.

In case anyone replies, thanks :)
    And this might be off topic, but if anyone has questions about the Nvidia Personal Cinema, feel free to ask me. After months of tweaking I've finally gotten it to work right.

2. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah - There's a lot of talk about a filter - Hoya I believe. Should i get one?

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think a DIY screen should be fine for most people, but they are permanent. One of the benefits of a professional screen is that they can retract. If you are having one permanently in place, then why not build one yourself? The cost seems to be minimal, so you can see how it performs and still buy a 'real' screen if you are unsatisfied.

for 4:3, it works like a widescreen TV - i.e you get black bars left and right. But you can also zoom to fill the bars if you like.

The filter is supposed to help with some colour balance and improve contrast. I think it'd work better with a white screen than a grey, as you might risk losing too much white level.

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    give the stewart screens a try. 10ft from the screen? 8ft image? too big. i think a 5-6ft image is about right. An easy way to solve this would be to get the pj now and project an image on the wall to see whats comftable. even a 5ft image is big!