AE100, rgb input. Possible???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by larry_1000000, Sep 24, 2002.

1. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if it is possible to feed RGB signal (from Sky digibox or dvd player that does not have component) into the PC input.

I know that the PC input is capable of accepting RGB but are any other signals (synchronisation ets) required.

If it is possible, has anyone got a diagram or a weblink to someone who sells a cable with scart at one end and pc d connector at the other.

Lastly, would it be better than s-vhs and maybe as good as an rgb to component convertor.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.

Loads more info here. Have a browse or do a search on this.

3. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loads more info.....where????

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Larry,

At the top of this page click on "Search", type in a keyword - Panasonic AE100/RGB might be worth a try ;) and then choose the forum e.g. Digital projectors

I'd imagine you'll probably get quite a few threads to read :D

Regards

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no, not on the ae100 unfortunately.

both john sims (http://www.rgbtosvideo.com) and lektropacks are meant to have or soon will have an RGB scart to component out box.

the lektropacks one is being advertised as £75 but still not on the website afaik. more for the js one.

6. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not understand why it is not possible.
    According to the manual, page 50 you require:
    Pin 1 R
    Pin 2 G/G-Sync
    Pin 3 B
    Pin 13 HD/Sync
    Pin 14 VD

Can anyone give a technical reason why. I know you can buy a box that converts RGB to component so if the rgb drives that why wont it drive the rgb input on the projector.

7. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most LCD projectors will take a S-video or Component video interlaced souce with a 15kHz horizontal scanning frequency but will only take a Progressive RGB souce with a minimum 30kHz scanning frequency as used for VGA monitors. Unfortunately the interlaced RGB from the Euro Scart connector is at 15kHz. There are devices advailable which can line double the 15kHz to 30kHz but they are usually aim at specific games consoles and can give poor results or are professional and cost hundreds or maybe thousands of pounds.

As far as I know nobody does a simple quality device for a couple of hundred pounds to convert RGB Scart to 30kHz VGA to allow use with a projector. If anybody knows different please post as I need one for my Panasonic PT-LC75E.:)

8. larry_1000000

larry_1000000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You DVDcake.

A very informative answer and good explanation.
    Looks like I will have to pay for one of those little black boxes that convert rgb to component. I have seen the one from www.rgbtocomponent.com (Think that was the site) and it was very good but very expensive.

It may be better to spend the money on a digibox that has more options on the output side. Bonus will probably be better sound to.