1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 -rear projection option?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bowlhead2000, Dec 19, 2004.

1. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving house this week and my new lounge is a long thin 'knocked through' room. Am considering hanging a rear proj screen in the middle.

1) My AE100 is elsewhere at the mo and the manual's no longer on Panasonic website: does it have a 'reverse image' / 'mirror' option, or this is a nonstarter!

2) Anyone with experience of this sort of setup? Any recommendations for a non-permanent screen? Will it be less bright than front proj (i have good control over ambient light, but not a very bright PJ)? Anything else for me to think about?

Thanks for any help

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    It does and is in the setup. I don't have experience with it though.

3. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, I thought I'd seen it somewhere. And cheers for the quick answer!

4. ji_

ji_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a screen suitable for rear projection - a standard screen will probably not work. Most rear proection screens will work either way (I think). I have used these for presentations at work etc, and the results are very good - no difference really from front.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes you'll need a rear projection screen and ideally a PJ with a higher rated lumens output than the AE100, rear PJ requires that little bit more.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If considering rear projection try for total black-out on the rear of the screen - the side where the projector is sited, ambient light on the rear of the screen won't do the picture quality any favours.

S.

7. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers - yes I should be able to get a very good blackout on the PJ side of the screen, and would definitely go for a screen sold as a rear projection one.

The only trouble I think is the low output of the AE100. I can live without upgrading it for a while, but I don't want to spend, say, £500 on an RP screen and then realise that it's useless without spending £1500 on a new projector! I'd rather spend £2000 on upgrading the rest of my system, or buying some non-av stuff, and live with an annoying room arrangement - especially as an RP screen would have to be something that was moved into place at movie time anyway.

FWIW I have actually been projecting onto a painted wall prior to moving house so have not been getting the projector at its best. It has only a few hundred hours on it and working well so no desire to sell it for pennies and buy a new one for pounds. However I'm just concerned that with a low light projector, which is now a long way behind current £1500 projectors, it will have a harder job projecting through something (rear proj screen) than bouncing light off something (front proj screen or wall)

If anyone has used a low end projector for RP with good results, I'd love to hear!

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You could do a mock-up with blackout cloth and some visquene (sp?) - it's opaque polyethelene sheeting used by builders for protecting floors etc - you could try a builders merchants or B&Q - make a 2x1 frame for the screen, stretch and staple the visquene over it (follow instructions for homemade screens in the FAQ, but use visquene instead of screen material), and use the blackout clothe around it to prevent light spill from the area where the rear projection is. It will certainly not be as effective as proper rear projection material, but you should get some idea of whether the projector has sufficient output to do the job. If you use black or very dark coloured material around the screen it will greatly improve the perception of contrast and brightness

S.