AE100 Questions

Chaos Star

Prominent Member
Reaction score
1 Question for the boffins of the Projector threads.

I have connected 2 different DVD players via S-Video and they dont work.

Assume its as simple as conecting S-Video leads to both appliances, playing a DVD and then changing input to S-Video.

Is there something Im missing or does the cable or projector have a defect. Both DVD player work fine through the composite connections.

Thanks for any help in advance :smashin:

Assume its as simple as conecting S-Video leads to both appliances, playing a DVD and then changing input to S-Video.

Sounds ok, have you tried using a different Svideo lead ? Or tried using the Svideo lead to connectthe dvd player to your TV - most now have inputs for connecting consoles/camcorders ?

If the lead you have plays a picture on TV, then it's the AE100 Svideo input at fault, I'd say.

Sean G.

I will go and try it on a TV (Doh shopuld of thought of that). Heres hoping its not the projector, only had it fror a day.

:smashin:

Are you sure that the s-video outputs of the DVD players are actually active? My Toshiba has a menu-switch to select composite video, RGB or s-video

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Tried the cable on a TV and didn't work, this could be because of the reason from bert. Im watching my dads house at the moment so I am using the DVD player in the house, the menu has no option for enabling different types of input, so I am assuming it auto detects. So must be the cable, I hope.

Like Bert said have you selected the output in your DVD player menu?

I have the option of RGB SCART/ S-Video / Component Video, I have to choose one as only one can be active.

If the cable was faulty would expect you to get some kind of picture but with funny colours???

Piero,

the menu has no option for enabling different types of input...

It's the output setting that's the vital one. What DVD players are you trying this with?

By the way, your English is a lot better than my Italian!

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Sorry bert I ment to say output. The DVD player is a Pacifica something or other, bit of a duffer by the looks and I cant find anything in the menus about switching output type (player in house im looking after). Also brought my toshiba 210e to the house, but unfortunetly forgot the remote controll (will get that tommorrow and try the s-video again).

My italian consist of 1-10 and the odd swear word, so I would hope my English is better, if only marginaly.

Thanx for the help, should probably fix things out with my Tosh and remote control, think I may be suffering from novice projection panicking

try turning the S-Vid cable around. You might have a directional one which you are plugging in the wrong way around:smashin:

Tried that, hopefully will get it fixed out tommorrow when get my tosh DVD player fixed out. Probably suffering from some hefty AE100 paranoia after reading so many horror stories with the projector.

Ignore the crack about the directional svideo lead . Svideo minidin leads are not directional they will work either way round. Scart to minidin leads are directional however. You'll need differently wired leads for scart to minidin vs minidin to scart.

It does sound very much like the the player or the cable or both!

I know you said there is no output format selector, but is there an 'RBG off' configuration? This some time allows the s-video socket to be used. Just a thought.

Piero,

I'm pretty certain that the Toshiba 210e does have a menu-switched output selection.

I know what you mean about projection-paranoia. I once went into a total panic because my newly-repaired AE100 was producing only a dim washed-out shadow of a picture. Then I remembered to take the lens cap off...

I'm sorry about the language remark. For some reason I thought your original post contained an apology for your "poor English" on the grounds that you were Italian. I must have confused you with some other poster in a different thread.

If you can count from one to ten in Italian, you're way more fluent than I am.

Good luck with the problem.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Svideo minidin leads are not directional they will work either way round
:thumbsdow

Sorry, but can't say that's true cos I do indeed myself have a directional S-Video to S-Video mini din cable. It is also clearly marked with arrows showing the path the signal should follow.

Hooking up an NS900 or an SD900E to an AE100 with the cable arrows the wrong way around, simply results in black screen. Switch the ends of the cable (changing nothing else) and hey presto you get a picture!

Nevertheless if you've tried re-arranging this in your set up then your problem is obviously not this.

Mighty strange that you got two DVD players not working in this respect. Here's hoping the Tosh will !!!

hmm, never heard of that on an s-video cable. I simply thought directional cables were only really significant at high quality levels and mainly talked about for speaker cable..saying that a directional cable would not simply not work if plugged the other way round, I dont see how that's possible as there's no switching inside an s-video cable.

You'd have to have some form of active electronics like a diode or something for a directional cable to work. Test it out with a multimeter.

Originally posted by Ekko Star
:thumbsdow

Sorry, but can't say that's true cos I do indeed myself have a directional S-Video to S-Video mini din cable. It is also clearly marked with arrows showing the path the signal should follow.

Hooking up an NS900 or an SD900E to an AE100 with the cable arrows the wrong way around, simply results in black screen.

Sorry I have NEVER seen a directional s-video lead as suggested previously you'd need some extra hardware in the cable to even get this effect which would in all likelihood be potentially more detrimental to the picture quality than having a normal bidirectional cable.

Svideo lead consists of two simple circuits mapping to the same equivalent pins at each end. Its no more complex than a stereo phono cable.

I have seen plenty of cables with arrows on them indicating preffered direction . I even have a couple myself and can only assume the companies concerned have got some sort of tax incentive from the eu to employ someone to mark them up this way for all the difference it makes.

I'm not saying I don't believe you but could you check the cable again. Hell send it to me and I'll check it and send it back to you and eat my words in necessary.

Sorry if this has gone OT.

Bert no offence taken about the language thingy assumed you thought I was maybe sitting in Rome :)

I going to try out the tiosh today sure it will work also got component cable now so will be trying that 2 .

Thanks for all the help.

Ps. As far as I new S-Video was not directional.

:smashin:

I'm not saying I don't believe you but could you check the cable again.

????? I'm not the one that needs convincing here !!! It is as I say it is, otherwise I wouldn't be posting such info here.

Believe it or not, but you learn something new every day in this game.

;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom