1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae100, Philips video sender and Sky - how?!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stormywhether, Jul 21, 2003.

1. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I'm still in the honeymoon period with this fabulous projector (positive adjective crazy, in fact).

I got the Compacks DVD working with prog scan, which is pretty nice compared to the Wharfy I just gave up...

The Xbox works mmmkay through composite...

But I just can't fathom how in botherations I can get Sky working on it!

We patch the Sky signal up from the lounge into the bedroom next door to the projector room, through a Philips video sender which has Scart out. No problems there.

The missus wants a spare Philips receiver to put in the projector room, but just to test out whether it would work or not I grabbed the Scart to RGB dingbat that comes with your Xbox, plugged in some RGB leads and patched that into the projector.

Nothing. Absolutely zip.

Figured this would at least gimme a picture, but no.

Saying that I tried this method as opposed to straight Scart to connect the video sender through to the bedroom tv and it didn't work there either.

Can anyone recommend the best way to connect this video sender to the projector? Bear in mind I'm not quite ready to get an RGB to component convertor, etc - I just want to use a cable. Scart to what?

Thanks a million, hope you don't mind me rambling. These Forums are absolutely wicked!

:smashin:

2. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - maybe I got a little confused back there - heavy day at work.

Alls I want to do is get a suitable lead to connect the Philips video sender to me projector. At this point image quality ain't the issue - it's getting any form of image at all from the sender!!!

Thanks mucho eh?

3. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know about AE100 but i use a phillips VL1200 to send sky from my living room to my converted garage. I have a scart to phono connections going thro my pioneer DVD amp system . With video output via composite to my PJ. Works a treat. Ok not best quality but for the little TV i watch it does the job.

4. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks rooster - although you've even gone a little over my head there!!

So the scart to phono lead - that has the conventional scart head on one end, and the yellow, white and red plugs on the other, right?

And the video output via composite is just yellow, white and red on both ends?

Sorry - I figured I was getting accustomed to all this av talk but all I've ended up is taking me back to basics!

Really appreciate your help.

5. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stormy i should have been a little clearer . I have video and Audio connections from VL1200 going into my Pioneer via phono plugs.(Scart to phono with colours as you described , two audio , one yellow video lead) The audio is then output from this to speakers and video also output via composite phono to phono lead to PJ. Not sure if you could take video straight from Video sender and plug it into AE100 via phono and redirect audio to an amp.

Have to stress i have an HS10 so things will be different

6. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aie, and the composite phono to phono is just the yellow lead then? Connections on the back of me AE100 are composite (the yellow one, I assume), component, S-Video and VGA.

7. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes yellow lead will be composite in a scart to Audio/video lead.

One thing to note my video sender has 3 different channels . I had to find right one before getting the sky picture. Basically i had a play with a portable tv in the garage before hooking it up to PJ.

8. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rooster - that's exactly the video sender i have!

How do you mean, it's got three channels? You mean the switch on the back? I thought that only related to the actual "sender", so that the sender and the receiver worked on the same channel?

I assumed that because the receiver was getting the Sky picture okay in the bedroom, that it would be okay in the room next door.

So just to clarify...

Scart to yellow, red and white plugs to connect Philips gadget to amp.

Yellow to yellow (can you buy just video-only) phono from amp to projector (if it works like your amp)?

9. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are getting sky in one bedroom then you are on right channel. So dont change it.

So in your case send red and white leads to audio input of amp and yellow to video in and use a single phono lead . Doesn't matter what colour from video out to PJ.

As i said you probably could send video straight to PJ if lead was long enough but i have PJ on ceiling so thats why i route it thro my amp as well

10. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Heres how my PJ can show Sky:

I've got my Sky plugged into my Argos Scart switcher (This one - http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...10001&langId=-1&catalogId=651&productId=38573). and then a scart to my TV.

I then by trial and error plugged the yellow composite lead into the switcher box and into the sending part of the video sender.

The recieving part of the video sender is then connected to the Panny AE-100 via the yellow composite lead for the picture and red & white phonos for sound going into my stereo for the sound.

I then select VIDEO 1 on the PJ and I get Sky. The picture isn't great but I'm not sure if I will watch enough Sky on it to warrant the £140 for the RGB convertor.

Hope that helps

11. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sort of. I don't understand why you have to plug in the yellow lead into your receiver though - I mean, I thought the receiver only had Scart inputs?

Why can't you just leave the actual sender out of it, and only make changes to the receiver (scart to phonos to the amp, yellow composite from amp video out to PJ video in)?

12. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I'm using a different video sender to you then. Mine is the Welltech one which only has scart adaptors (yellow, red & white into it).

13. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello all,

I have the very same dilemma and also thought of the J.S. RGB- Component converter but after e-mailing John he told me the VL1200 cant transmit RGB so the converter wont work, pity because it surley would be better than composite for watching Sky which is not that good on my HS10.

I have seen scart- component leads for sale but they had no audio outs for the amp but I did think about opening up the scart plug and connecting up the audio pins and run another set of wires separately to get the sound to the amp.

Does anybody have a full wiring diagram for scart connectors just to see what is connected to where.

Klippie.

14. Dipman

Dipman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stormy,
    I've got the same problem as you, but I solved it exactly the same way as Rooster. The picture quality is ok but a little grainy, but its cheaper than a second sky box and subscription!

Dipman

15. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To make matters worse I referred this dilemma to a mate who told me that the VL1200 DOES output RGB and so I went and ordered an RGB to S-Video convertor from maplin.

I'll let you guys know how I get on!

16. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Klippie, I'm afraid you've been proved right!

Oddly when I plugged the Scart lead into the convertor, I could get audio but when I took it out, absolutely nothing.

Annoying thing is I have to send it back to Maplin, right, but they levy a 20 per cent restocking charge on all returns!!!

Is that legal? I thought there was a seven day distance selling regulation which said you could return it without charge, or something?

17. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    stormywhether,

Try taking it back to your local branch they should give you the full amount for a refund or even a credit note.

Maplins are usually fine for taking gear back.

Worth a try.....

Klippie.

18. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Klippie - talked to some decent geezer from Maplin on the phone, outlined the problems and he seemed to think they wouldn't charge me for the return.

Anyways I'm still chewing over exactly how to get Sky on the PJ. My latest idea is just to run some cables direct from the digibox downstairs, up the stairs and into the amp/PJ.

Question is - what leads would I need for this? Can I just run a SCART to three phonos straight into the amp?