1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 on the ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dominic, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Having put my panny on the ceiling with my DIY mount, i have a minor problem, the mains lead.
    Many of you have no doubt done this already, and i tried a quick search on the forum but cant seem to find details of where to get a longer power lead, or the 3 pin connctor and i will make my own.

if anyone has any ideas or stores, online or otherwise let me know

thanks

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    From the room above lift the floor boards and run a new outlet from an existing outlet.

run twin and earth from the back of the existing outlet to near where the pj is then mount a new wall socket to the joist. plug yr pj power cable in and drop through a small hole in the ceiling.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00070.asp

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The only problem with this is that if the fuse goes in the plug you will have to lift the floor boards again...

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    The other option then is to mount a fused outlet into the ceiling above the pj or the fused outlet in the room above on the nearest wall.

Its no more difficult to do and either way you need to take the boards up anyway so may as well go with the fused outlet.

PIC

How To

5. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmmm.... I live in a 1 bedroom ground floor flat and will be wanting to ceiling mount the AE100 (when I eventually get one)

I hadnt really thought about the issue of connecting the power supply...

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Use a beam detector to find out which way your ceiling beams run, then make a small hole above the pj make another small hole between the ceiling and wall and providing there isnt lots of fiberglass insulation you should be able to push cable along your ceiling. Do similar down wall then run behind skirting to nearest pp.

You may have a problem with the ceiling as it is probably filled with a sandwich of fiberglass and gypsum board.

Can't remember if this is because of fire laws or if its just for sound proofing for you neighbours.

7. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just get an ordinary extention lead and simply plug PJ into it ( you could always hide it) by far the simplest method

8. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for the reply's

JSW
    cant really lift the floor boards, i have fitted wardrobes above in the bedroom right where the pj is. :(

The idea of through the ceiling and down the wall is a good idea but my walls are solid brick, house built mid 80's so no plaster board / dry lining :( ( still doesnt help the fact that the lead is 2m too short)

My only real solution is one i had already thought about is run some 2.5mm2 up the wall ( truncked) then install a high level fused spur. its a workable solution and looks okay in a pub / club environment, but in the lounge it will look pants.

The other option i could use is to cut and shut the existing cable, but i dont really want to if i can buy/make a longer one

why why why didnt panasonic give us an extra 2 m on the cable, it would have cost about 30p i would have paid it.

:mad:

9. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people are gonna flame me for this but I simply snipped the power lead, soldered a new longer length to it, carefully insulated it with black tape (so you can hardly see the join) and then mini trunked it down to a wall socket. Looks fine.

You can get all tied up with 13amp junction boxes and the likes, but carefully soldered (or twisted for the lazy) and insulated joins are fine if they are in a place that is not going to be accessed or is not subject to movement (i.e. my join is up in the mini trunking).

p.s. Some chap here posted pictures of an MDF bracket he made. I copied all dimensions (except the vertical drop) and got the timber cut at a local merchants for £4.00. Screwed it all together, screwed to ceiling and painted satin-wood white. Looks grand, cost next to sod all :) Never had to lift the floor boards (screwed to ceiling with 2 long wood screws - I could hang off it)!.

10. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Perhaps you'll beat everyone to it, with this type of install;)

I can't speak, got my dad to lift the floorboards and fit a wall mounted fused socket upstairs for me.
    Did wire my screen in myself though, and have since got shocks off it when using...:(

11. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the wiring of the socket isnt a problem or even cutting the cable and joining in a new piece, just wondered if somewould pop up and say try

http://www.decent_length_powerleads_for pannyptae100.co.uk

still no worries ill get my cutters and soldering iron out. Mini trunking already in place.

:D