1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 Help! VGA or Component?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by benji_m, Apr 19, 2002.

1. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I finally went for the AE100 and have been puzzled ever since about how to connect, to start off using s video but after seing some posts on the forum decided to use my PC's vga connection. Wow! what a difference? is this because I am feeding it its native resolution? Is a HTPC the way to go vision wise? this contradicts everything my dealer told me? Please give me the real truth - my DVD player doesn't have component outputs so that is out.

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, nothing beats a HTPC but make sure in the picture menu of the projector that the signal is reported as WIDE480 or WIDE720.

WIDE480 fits the LCD panels with no scaling but isn't supported by all graphics cards. The best cards are the ATI Radeon's (apparently).

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    VGA Wide 480 certainly seems to be the sweetest. However, an HCPC, even with a 'cheap' Supergrace Radeon VE is noticeably better than my recently acquired Nintaus DVD player which also has wide 480 VGA output.

So, if it isn't too inconvenient, I reckon the PC is the way to go. Having said all of which, watching Grand Prix even via composite is just great!

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could buy a transcoder which has a component to RGB conversion through a VGA socket.

Apparently this delivers yummy pictures for little extra cost.

You need a DVD player with component, like a cheap Tosh and I think about $300 for the transcoder. Apparently its amazing.

Regards

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Great, Thanks for that! Now I've just got to figure out how to make my pc a little less noisy! I think i may change my GF2 for an ATI or Matrox dual head, or do you reccomend a dedicated MPEG decoder card? ahhh...confusion! ALso any AE100 owners that may be reading I had a chance to talk to the Panasonic Area sales manager for my region 'off the record' about reliability problems with this projector (your posts kinda scared me!) he said that although the defect rate seemed to be higher than normal the levels were not 'epedemic' and no alarm bells yet at panasonic!

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HTPC :eek:

I also have the Nintaus, but the HTPC is way better.

Once you've seen the pic with HTPC (as you have), you'll never go back :D :D

Get a cheap TV capture card (I'm using Pinnacle's PCTV Rave), through dScaler & "bob's your uncle, Kate's your aunt!"

To quiten your PC try quietpc.co.uk, their quiet PSU is the business. Not vital to change your processor's fan, as it is the PSU fan that produces most noise.

Enjoy :D

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I second Kramers remarks about Quiet PC.

I'll attempt to answer some of the other questions.

To avoid unnecessary expendditure I would begin by silencing the PC to your satisfaction. Stick with the GF2 at first and assuming it will handle Wide 480, see how you like the results. If you can't get Wide 480 or it looks terrible after tweaking, then worry about a new graphics card. Which one will depend on what else you use the machine for. (Radeon arguably better for 3D, e.g. games, G550 for 2D)

Assuming your PC has a 700Mhz or above processor I wouldn't even think about a hardware MPEG decoder. You'll get better results decoding in software.

I'm assuming you have a soundcard with an S/PDIF output? (For passing the DD or DTS stream to your amp) and Powerstrip (to change the resolution), a software DVD player and one of the region changing applications?

Together with Kramer's other suggestions, the capture card and Dscaler this will give you a really good start. If you get really hooked, you can play about with the various DVD applications etc. in search of the ultimate picture.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And that search for the ultimate picture is a major cause of frustration for me right now! I'm getting a decent picture but I'm sure it could be better and I'm not sure what I should be tweaking to improve it. For starters is it generally better to have hardware acceleration on or off with Power DVD xp (Radeon 7500 btw)? With it on I gather the brightness/contrast/colour etc is adjusted using the overlay controls in the Radeon card settings, with it off those are adjusted using Power DVD video adjustments.. For those using a HTPC (and if you're using Power DVD especially) what settings have you found yield the best results? Hardware acceleration on or off, what do you have the brightness etc set to either in Power DVD or the Radeon overlay panel?
    Like I said I have a good picture but I'm not sure how much improvement there is left and what to do to acheive that improvement so any advice would be appreciated. I guess once I get my DVD player hooked up to the projector and see what that looks like it will give me an idea how good or bad the HTPC results are...

Cheers
    Andy

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andy,

To be perfectly honest I was so happy with the picture I obtained using hardware acceleration and the default settings (In conjunction with the recommended Power Strip settings) I haven't so far bothered to investigate further! I'm enjoying watching movies and as the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.' That said, when I have the time I do intend to investigate further and to try the Theatre Tek player. Meanwhile I'm sure there are others who will enlighten us both further.

10. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I borrowed an AE100 for a weekend, ran it off component from my Sony 725D then from my PC using a GF3 and Wide480 !!

VGA all the way, night and day difference...

HEADRAT

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find I have to bring the brightness down quite significantly on the overlay settings for the best picture. What is annoying me is that I have to reset it every time I reboot my PC, does anyone know a way of making the overlay changes permanent?

Cheers
    Andy

12. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Andy...you may find that leaving the overlay settings at default & turning contrast down on pj works. I have my Panny set to -32 contrast (yep -32). It looks weird at first if you're used to a brighter image, but give it a few hours & you realise just how much more detail you're seeing...and strangely, the perceived contrast is much greater (blacks are almost black). A much more "filmic" image imho. Of course, this is only effective if you've got a light controlled room. Worth a try.