AE100 has just died.

J

Jonny1973

I switched on my AE100 tonight, after a couple of minutes the picture went black.

I turned it off and then on again, the PJ started making a pulsing noise, when the picture appeared it was very dim and pulsing too. Now its so dark, i can hardly see whats happening.

Both the temp and lamp leds were on. The PJ has 834 hours on it. The lamp has only ever been used in low mode.

This is my second AE100 (May 2002), I got it as a replacement in November 2002. My first (Nov 2001) had colour problems when I returned it in August 2002.

Luckily my warranty runs until November 2003, instead of February 2003, which is when it ran out on my first PJ. I made Audiovision put this in writing.

Am I unlucky? Is it the lamp?

Is this the Red LED of Death???

Hi Johnny,

Sorry to hear you've got probs - Doesn't sound like a power supply prob to me - that's a bit more sudden and definite. Could be that the bulb is not igniting properly, mine had that problem - a replacement bulb sorted it out, or it could be the ignitor board (less likely, imo). One way or another its one for Panny to sort out.

Hope you get sorted out.

Sean G.

Hi Jonny

Bad news m8 :( I am starting to worry now as I have never seen such high hours on a failing AE100, its usuall for them to fail in the first couple of hundred hours.
I am now approaching 1000 hours on my Nov 2001 model, I seem to be the only person with a AE100 with this date stamp.

You could try removing and refitting the lamp, i have done this and its quite easy, just follow the instructions in the manual.

Audiovision have given me my broken PJ back and given me a number to ring.

Panasonic Tech Support
Tel. 08705 357357

They said that Panasonic will either swap the PJ for a new one or loan me a AE100 until mine is repaired.

Panasonic support are dreadful.

I got passed from one person to another, then spent ages on hold.

Finally got the right department, the guy got part way through my details and cut me off.

Originally posted by Timh
I am now approaching 1000 hours on my Nov 2001 model, I seem to be the only person with a AE100 with this date stamp.

My Nov 2001 model went back in August 2002.

Originally posted by Jonny1973
My Nov 2001 model went back in August 2002.
:eek: so Nov 2001 models do die :(

Originally posted by Timh
:eek: so Nov 2001 models do die :(

Yep, it had a prism problem (yellow middle, purple edges of pic)but still worked.

I don't know how long it had been doing it before i noticed. I got the PJ on the 6th February 02 and noticed the problem in May 02 during the world cup.

I'd done 1000 hours, i think.

Hi Jonny

Some time ago I did the service menu test to check for the colour uformity problems and found none.
But...... Last night my brother came for a visit (owner of Sanyo plv-30) I gave him a quick demo of LOTR, and he spotted a purple tinge to the left of the screen, i coudn't believe this as I had never noticed this before :( wish i never gave him a demo now :mad: Strange as it cannot be seen with the test screens up.
its to late now as its out of Guarantee.
I watched Smallville last night but coudn't spot any purple to the left of the screen, i guess it shows up more on dark scenes like LOTR.

Hi Tim,

I noticed the colour problems on the misty mountains part of the LOTR prologue.

Mine did show on the test screens. I assume you mean the red, blue, green, white screens under the service menu.

I was in a local club a few weeks back, their projector was really yellowish. I wonder if cheap projectors have a plastic prism (which warps) whilst more expensive ones use glass. Just a guess.

Mine did show on the test screens. I assume you mean the red, blue, green, white screens under the service menu.
Yes, they are the test screens which look fine on mine, it showed up on the Mountain cavern scene, pretty dark scene's with low colour. Stange as you think it would show up on bright scenes like on Vertical Limit which I watched recently with no problems, I guess I will have to do more testing, or maybe I shoudn't :confused:

Spoken to 10 muppets at Panasonic and an engineer still hasn't called me back.

It's been 2 days since I first called them.

Hi Jonny,

I have recently had mine repaired, and was passed from pillar to post until someone informed me that I needed option 1 from the first menu, even though IIRC it indicates TVs, VCRs etc and is quite specific, omitting PJs. Opting for 'other products' seems to randomly connect you to any extension from what I could gather.

My unit was collected the day after I called, and I have just received it back 8 days later, with one new PSU.

They didn't have any loan units available, and even asked if I wanted to wait until one was free, which I declined as there was no point holding onto a unit which didn't work anyway :confused:

HTH

Charlie

Originally posted by charlie
Hi Jonny,
They didn't have any loan units available, and even asked if I wanted to wait until one was free, which I declined as there was no point holding onto a unit which didn't work anyway :confused:

HTH

Charlie

I don't think they really have any loan units (or maybe just one:) ) because everytime someone reports a fault they have always posted on this forum that no loan unit was available:confused:

So just for fun, has anyone on this forum actually ever had a loan AE100 from Panasonic without waiting for months?

Citylink should have collected my PJ yesterday but didn't show.

When I spoke to Panasonic on Thursday, they didn't have a loan unit available.

I was also asked if I wanted to delay the repair until a loan unit was available. I said no, but perhaps I should have accepted the offer: my AE100 is still working perfectly well, apart from the central-image degradation, and I could have lived with that for a time.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Got my PJ back today (10th April), 8 days after the courier collected it.

The invoice confirms that the PSU has been replaced. At a cost of £0.02p for the part and £100 labour (£50 per hour). ?????

I have nothing to pay of course, my PJ is under warranty.

Originally posted by Jonny1973
Got my PJ back today (10th April), 8 days after the courier collected it.

The invoice confirms that the PSU has been replaced. At a cost of £0.02p for the part and £100 labour (£50 per hour). ?????

I have nothing to pay of course, my PJ is under warranty.
That gives me a good idea what mine will cost to fix then, (if the psu failed) as mine is out of warranty.

Thanks jonny

Johnny1973,

Did the invoice give the part no., if so would you you post it here so folks would know what to get ?? The insides are modular, so if its a small circuit, or a plug in module, someone out of warranty could do the fix themselves.

Glad you're back in action.

Sean G.

Yep. As I said before in another post. I blew a very small capacitor on my previous pj (around 2p as well) .
Unlike the world of computers though, where a very good mother board will set you back around a £100 (So in essence it's not worth repairing). With my old SV10 a replacement drive board was quoted at around £550, and there's far more to a Mother board than to PJ's drive board.

Here's what the invoice said.

Qty, Part No, Unit Price
1, TNPA2361KIT, .02
STD, COMPLETE POWER SUPPLY, *************
2, Labour Hour - Basic, 50.00

Repair Charge, .00
Amount Payable, .00

Notes:
Replaced power supply. Tested ok.

Hi Johnny1973,

Thanks for that...... I reckon that the ".02" is unlikely to be the cost of the power supply :( , as the following extract from Panasonic USA's parts list for the AE100 suggests:

TNPA2361 PC BOARD W/COMPONENT 82.58

it doesn't say so explicitly, but I figure this is the power supply circuit board @ $82.58. Now the interesting (anorak !) part is the word "kit"...... I wonder does this mean that Panny issue a repair kit to their Service Centre to replace the component on the power supply which pops ? The fact that they indicate that the power supply has been replaced would suggest not.........

Tim........... not intended to POYP, :blush:

See ya,

Sean G.

Edit: If you want to see the parts list, go here ... the correct model no. to key in is "PTAE100U "

Tim........... not intended to POYP,
No problem :)

Where's the Millenium man ;) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom