1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 from Europe?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Joshm74, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was wondering if its worth buying the Panny AE100 projector from Europe as I hear that buying from the continent can often be cheaper.

Anyways, I have found a german online retailer that sells the projector for 1700 Euros which equates to about £1100 (inc Delivery). This is a great price as the cheapest I have seen here is about £1280.

My question is, are there any differences between the UK models and the European ones (in terms of electrical requirements, warranty etc) and is it generally safe to buy something like that from abroad? My main concern is warranty - will it be respected over here?

Thanks

J.

2. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well,

you can get it delivered for £1219 by a forum sponsor (DiscountTV)

As has been said many times do you really want to risk getting something that has, apparently, a higher than usual defect rate where you might end up shipping it back to germany etc. Your £120 saving would be eaten up very fast indeed. Additionally I think some places in UK will offer a dead pixel check etc.

Your money but that is a £100 save I think could well end up costing you.

Just MO of course, hope wherever you buy from you get a good'un

Tim

3. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that it didn't matter where you purchased the product from as in the event of a fault you would simply phone Panny and they would refer you to their nearest authorised dealer...is that correct?

If not then having to send it back to Germany in the event of a fault does not sound appealing, especially with the AE100's track record!

Having said that I wasn't aware that I could get it for £1219 from here...many thanks for that :) For that money it doesn't really make sense to risk going for it abroad...cheers!

4. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    haha, you'll be in for a long wait! I gave up after waiting 11 weeks, even after a promised 'big delivery' was imminient. Alot of people are also waiting similar times.

It may be a good price but at what 'cost'? I ended up paying an extra 90quid to be able to walk into a shop and pick one up there and then. And glad I did too!

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What shop johnny?

6. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    11 weeks?!! Damn that is a long time to wait! Are these guys having problems sourcing the hardware?

If that's the case I may have to look elsewhere...will give them a call though to check stock...

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

(Just noticed that www.hispek.com do it for £1269 which aint bad either - but its out of stock there too :( )

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    http://www.gultronics.co.uk

do it for £1239 and they have it in stock and always have had regularly. I always see at least 3 or 4 new boxes in there everytime I pass them by. Good authorised Panasonic Dealer from my dealings with them.

:)

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    That is correct BUT this may be the start of much aggravation. I fell foul of K****** on this subject.An appliance developed a fault,the retailer was 300 miles away and ******d directed me to the nearest authorised dealer.He was not in the least interested or sympathetic and the manufacturer couldn't care less at this point.Tread carefully.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re Discount TV, I've been on a "waiting list" since 10th May, naerly 14 weeks, so I think that's a joke. Especially when they can be had far sooner than that.

But re a European buy, especially regarding this item, do a search for components.de under my name.

I wouldn't go there. Trust me, I did :mad:

10. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PRC in Forest Gate, East London. See there adverts in HCC for more details. Also Guiltronics as other people have mentioned who have 3 shops, 2 on tott court rd and one on new oxford street.

Average street price is £1299 now.

11. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the responses and great advice guys. I think I will stay away from a European purchase due to the potential problems mentioned, and the fact that there is no significant saving to be had anyway.

I will also give Discount TV a miss too...Gultronics in Tottenham Ct Road is perfect for me in terms of location and price! Dont know why I didn't think of going there in the first place...!

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Go to the New Oxford St Gultronics store, much better and quieter there.

Ask for Roy, top bloke, great at haggling prices as well. After all a purchase don't seem right in that part of town without a good haggle over the price !

If you're pedantic and a guaranteed sale he'd probably do a pixel or whatever check you like to keep you happy.

If you decide to get it, welcome to the club. It's one fantastic PJ.:D

13. Joshm74

Joshm74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! Haggling was actually the first thing that crossed my mind when I thought of the Tott. Ct. Rd branch. I will try my luck with the New Oxford St one and see how far down I can bring them or how many freebies they can throw in ;)

Thanks for the advice Ekko!