1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ae100 finally goes pop

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KevinR, Mar 11, 2004.

1. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well it was expected after reading similar fates on here. My ae100 reached the grand old age of 21 months old before the dreaded pop seconds after power on. Checked threads and read that Panasonic are pretty good, they will send a courier to pick up and the psu fix isn't expensive, someone even had their's replaced for free outside of warranty.

Till its my turn of course. No such luck - apparently I send it at my own cost, there will be a £50 charge to provide an estimate, if I go ahead the £50 becomes part of the cost. Oh and there is a delay for projector repairs at the moment. Just to make me feel better I was told 'its probably down to cold weather at the moment!". "Is it not the inherent power supply problem with these projectors? "says I. Cue pause and general mumblings.

I don't know how many hours were on the bulb but I don't really use it that much. I don't suppose there's anyone else had this happen outside of warranty, if so - how much?

2. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are you dealing direct with Panasonic UK, or one of their servcice agents?

The number I called to have mine fixed was: 08705 357357, which is Panasonic UK.

There was no explicit charge for shipping, which they arranged through CityLink, both ways.

They charged £29.79 parts (TNPA2361 PCB - i.e. the PSU PCB) plus £50 labour + VAT on both.

Obviously, this was an out-of-warranty repair.

--- Dave

3. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used 08709 070909 which I found on a thread here. I tried the new number and they will now collect it in two days, charge £64.63 (postage and inspection), fix (price unknown) and return. Much better service, despite the on hold Kenny G does 'captain of her heart' music.

Thanks Dave - much appreciated :smashin:

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Kev

Do you use the PJ outside? what the fudge is that "cold weather" all about mate? I figure we all have central heating??

I have not heard about PSU's failing on these - is this common? I'm sorry to hear aboutyour probs though - I hope mine doesnt stop!!

Is it worth trading in for a moer up to date model? I have only used mine for little over 300 hours, I would hate it to go pop with such little use.

Cheers

Tone

5. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tone

Never been outside in its life! Maybe it gets cold through the night when me heatings off like. If so I think there is a niche in the market for some Totes Projector Toasties to keep em warm on these cold winter nights. Personally I think it was a bit of a 'nowt to do with us' reply - it couldn't possibly be a design fault by Panasonic now could it.

Its quite ironic that it was only last week I stumbled across a thread highlighting the problem and then wham, mine goes belly up. Try a search for 'AE100 pop' and weep.

As for upgrading, well i'm quite happy with it as it is, or at least I was 'pre pop'. Who's to say newer models are that much more reliable. I haven't been bitten by the upgrade bug at all. I run it through a HCPC so I can't justify more major expense for what will probably be little gain. I know people go on about improved black levels, contrast, resolution blah blah and all that stuff but I just enjoy(ed) a i)bloody good and ii)big picture - quite simple really. Maybe the AE900 when it comes round.......

Of course you could trade up but I think the second hand value will be reflected in the suspect reliability of this model. i'll give you £100;)

6. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hmmmm lemme think....Nah!

I aint upgrading mate! I am well happy with the results Iknow I may (as you said) get a slightly brighter pic and blacker blacks but the AE100 is a good pj and I have only 300 hours on mine so its got some life if the bulb lasts the quoted 5000 and the psu dont go pop and weep! lol (touch wood)!

Cheers

Tone

7. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update for the interest of future AE100 owners who suffer a 'pop'.

Panasonic eventually returned my projector fully repaired for no extra charge. Is it now recognised as an inherent problem?

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Hope not - I got a second hand AE100 recently for a second system. It got 1800 hours in low lamp mode, can somone confirm the lamp life? I think it is 2000 hours high lamp and 5000 hours low lamp.

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The hours you stated are correct, but they are maximum hours, theres no guarantee that they will reach them.

10. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

Same thing happened to my 2 yr old AE100. So I called the number above, and they also told me it would cost £64.63 to book it in. So I'm calling them in a bit with the serial number.

Was the £64.63 refunded when they returned it as fixed?

11. sks

sks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AE100 psu died after only 9 months. Sent it back to Komplett and upgraded to AE500.

12. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Punce

No they did not refund the £64. My AE100 had less than 300 hours on the bulb when it died. :mad:

13. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there sks

You say you sent yours back to Komplet? Did you not deal with Panasonic at all? My AE300 went pop after only 2 months and about 260 hours. I also brought mine from Komplet. I'm happy with my AE300 and am not looking for an upgrade (but if there're offering...), i'm just interested in your experience dealing with Komplet compared to others dealing with Panasonic.

14. sks

sks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dealt with Komplett because I didn't realise Panasonic would deal with me direct. Komplett were good with me but I had to chase them up, otherwise it would have been sitting on their shelves for months I reckon. They credited me what I originally paid for the 100, only because (I guess) they can't get any 100's anymore and a repair would have taken months. So I had to pay the extra for the 500. Personally I'd have preferred the 300 because the extra features of the 500 were not worth another £450 to me on top of the £700 I spent last year on the 100. I've only had the 500 for 2 weeks, its got about 20 hours on.

15. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Right then, I called that number again to book it in, and they told to me call a different number that deal with domestic appliances 08705 357357.

I talked to a guy there, and mentioned the problem and it looked like an inherent problem, so he arranged for it to be picked up the next day. No mention of any cost.

Next day, a guy knocks on my door and whisks it away.

A little over a week later (today) my repaired projector arrives at my house :clap: It says on the sheet that they have replaced the power supply and fuses, and given a good clean inside. Total cost = £0.00 :thumbsup:

Thank you Panasonic for a 10/10 service

16. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a lottery this isn't it. Your case is identical to mine Punce yet I pay the £64, hoglet even more. The way this is going they'll be giving us credit for this repair :rolleyes:

17. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar experience to Punce. Mine took a little longer (2 weeks) so I gave Panasonic a call last Friday and was told it was already on its way. Received it this Tuesday with what I think was a very minor dust blob, all gone. Not much time to play with it yet, with all the football on at the mo', but A+ for panny :thumbsup: great service.

Fingers crossed there as welcoming next time, as i'm sure there'll be a next time!

18. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Oh joy, my AE100 went pop this evening. 147 hours on it (that's not a typo!). Mine has a build date of Nov 2001 (one of the early models), but it's been boxed up & unused for the past 18 months. It was working fine last week though, so it wasn't due to the storage. Hoping for a free repair when I phone them tomorrow...

19. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Just had an interesting conversation with a chap at Panasonic (08705 357357). They're well aware of this forum, and this thread in particular. He didn't actually go as far as acknowledging the psu problem, but let's just say it looks like I'm getting mine repaired at no charge ("due to the low hours on the clock"). Great to see a company keeping an eye on their customer community via forums like this...it would certainly give me confidence to buy from them again.

20. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think that might be the reason of having a free repair ...low hours on the lamp!
    you would imagine that the power supply would last a heck of a lot longer than the 1st lamp, let alone a couple of hundred of hours!

21. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yeah, that's the reason I was given for having a free repair. Seems that these units can fail at any time with the original psu. Some people have reported low hours like mine, some manage to last for a few thousand. Sounds like a classic case of a company making a call on which is cheaper...do a full product recall or multiple break/fixes. I wonder at what level of hours usage they'd start charging for the repair. hrmm. Still, I'm more than happy with the way Panasonic have dealt with my problem so far. Finger's crossed the repair doesn't take too long.

22. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Blimey, long time no see Shocka! :smashin:

Hope you get your repair turned around quick.

23. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hello matey. I've been out of the scene for a while...not been able to use any of my av kit for the past 18 months due to living arrangements. We've now moved into a 4 bed detached with a nice big living room, & I've persuaded the boss to let me use a pj in there, so I'm firmly on the av wagon again. Huzzah! :smashin:

24. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to see you back Shocka :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the repair.

:smoke:

25. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Kramer mate! Good to be back...Mr Moderator :hiya:

26. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So they're keeping an eye on this thread. In that case.....

Dear Panasonic

Can you please refund the charge you made to fix the power supply on my 256 hour AE100. - see earlier in thread.

Please

PS i bought one of your plasma screens aswell

and it was a close call for the hoover

and i bought a clock radio in 1986 - still works n'all

PPS and don't forget hoglet

27. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems with my Panny's power supply yet after 17 months, touch wood!
    However what is Panasonics position on this problem?, I've seen people mention "cold weather"!. I've always supplied my panny via a 500 VA isolation transformer. These devices are meant to help protect equipment and produce a cleaner power supply. So I'm just wondering if the problems down to powersurge/spikes on the 250 volt ac supply? Just a thought. Mind you there's a whole industry out there now on mains conditioning/cleaning.
    Here's one I made earlier
    http://www.russandrews.com/sitemap.html

Lawrence

28. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well it seems i wasnt as lucky as some of you guys. had my ae100 for a shade over 2 years when it the picture started dimming and 'pulsing' slightly before going black. Fan still on, with orange blinking light. Rebooting gave a faint picture with similar pulsing.

Pansonic UK picked it up at a cost of £54 and have this morning sent me a bill for £252.60 for the replacement of a 'PC Board W/Component' whatever that is.

I thought I had a similar problem as everyone else and would get it repaired cheap.

No such luck.

:thumbsdow

29. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Christ!

Thats a lotta money for a fix on a PJ worth about £400?!

Mine is on its way (it hasnt broken down - selling it) this weekend after 20 months of good service. Its got about 520 hours on it, a good mate of mine has been after it for a while so I have finally bended as I wanted something a bit more resistant to ambient light conditions.
    I just hope (and touch wood again) that my mate gets good service from it.

I will then be in the position of going off and demo'ing some new units. I plan to wait a couple of months and buy a new PJ for xmas, if I can actually wait that long!

I am hoping I'll get an AE700 but really hope that my unit doesnt fail.

Good luck in your repairs!

Tone

30. jumpt_upmunky

jumpt_upmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi guys,
    My ae100 went pop a few weeks ago and I've just got the estimate back from panasonic. (out of warranty)

the traditional £50 labour
    but they're charging £74.67 for the psu (TNPA2361) :thumbsdow

from previously in this thread they were only charging £29.79

and on top of that £15 handling
    plus £2.20 for a couple of fuses.

anyway it all totals £166.

So just as a heads up the whole 'going POP' process has got a lot more expensive!