1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 faint vertical banding on picture

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by johnm60, Mar 18, 2002.

1. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just got my AE100. Been testing it most of the weekend. Mostly pleased with it except on two scores.

Firstly black levels aren't as good as I expected, but I am sure I can live with them.

The main area of concern is the presence of faint vertical banding in some parts of the panel. I have tried this on a number of different sources and it is always there. Its becomes quite distracting because your eyes follow these marks rather than the picture content.

I thought it might have been the crappy scaler through the S-Video inputs, but then setup a Radeon-based HCPC and set the resolution to 858x480 using Poerstrip. I got a very sharp picture, but the Windows default desktop is not perfectly even in brightness. This effect is not all over the panel but in serveral areas only. It is as though some of the columns of the panel are not as linear as others - this cannot be seen when the panel is fully driven, but mainly on the mid and lower brightness levels.

I have heard complaints about "screendoor", but this is not it - the overall pixel structure is really unobjectionable and if this were screendoor then the effect would be the same all over.

Any Panny owners seeing the same thing? I need to know whether this is a fault or this is just the way it is.

Cheers
    Slightly dissapointed
    John

2. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I got mine at the weekend and having watched a few different things from different sources (composite/s-vid/vga) I can agree with you on both points. The absolute black level on this projector is not really what I imagined it would be, but I have to admit in itself this isn't a massive concern to me... and no doubt can be improved through use of a filter.

With regards the feint vertical banding, I also get it... I've heard a few different people mention it over at avsforum and though I don't consider myself a picky owner, I do notice it, mostly on horizontal panning. I don't actually notice the screendoor from about 2x screen width away but I do see this banding.

That said though.... I love this projector. It's the second projector I have owned and these minor grumbles aside I think it gives a remarkably good picture. My old NEC MT1030 (xga business projector) can't come close to it.... colours are better on pansonic, contrast is better, noise is much lower, it's physically a lot smaller. I'm staggered by how far things have come in the last few years and have to say I don't regret my purchase at all.

Should also give a mention to Mal Titmus at Smallworld in Birmingham who despite not really being set up to show off projectors went to quite a bit of trouble to demonstrate it for me and was very patient with my mucking around plugging laptops into it etc.

-Ian

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems a bit strange, what screens do you both use?.

4. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grey painted wall at the moment... certainly wasn't an effect that was visible with the older projector and I don't see it all the time... just occasionally

5. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My screen is also a cheapskate MDF effort (for now). I have checked that this is not screen marks - as when I move the PJ relative to the screen, I see the banding move with the PJ.

6. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Click on this link

Plenty of info there, good idea to use the search facility, sometimes you get what you're looking for ;)

7. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yes, thanks. The stuff on this thread is very similar - especially the shot of the green panel - except on mine it is only on some parts of the panel.

I intend later to try some test patterns to see if it is on only one
    of the panels.

The thing is, is this a fault, or does every AE100 have this to a certain degree? Would I be wasting my breath to ask to return it?

John

8. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I take it you've tried all the things they've mentioned in that link, like keystone etc?

I'll have a look tonight or tomorrow night on mine, to see if I have the same.

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while back when quite a few people were snapping up the cheap VPL-CX1's a few noticed this kind of problem on their projectors. This problem was'nt on mine and others in this forum (I think it only affected two vpl-cx1 owners) and Im not sure what they did but it looks like a faulty panel if you ask me.

I may be wrong but the people who had the problem had older bios revisions on their projectors :confused:

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also I remember someone posting that they changed their VCOM setting which made the vertical banding dissapear

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would have to say I do not get any vertical banding, but I can see on the odd occasion, some video proccessing, that you could class as vertical lines, it really is faint, and only noticable on bright sky scene's.
    I did test my PC briefly using a creative dxr3 mpeg2 card for dvd playback, this did have the vertical banding, but I put it down to the Dxr3.
    When useing a HCPC you do have to set the Dot clock and Clock phase on the projector, seev page 36 in the handbook, a contrast setting test screen would help with this.

12. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry, whats JCOM setting?

If the banding was consistently across the screen then I might think it is some kind of setup/clock timing issue, but as it appears to be in some places only, then the worry is that it is one of the panels.

13. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Same as Tim, I can occasionally see very faint banding through my HCPC, but I've only played around with Dot clock, not phase setting, so more tweaking may sort it. I don't really consider it an issue anyway, to be honest, it's very very faint & isn't visible often.

So, Tim, when are you gonna sort yourself out with a nice HCPC? :D

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I am tempted, I am getting myself a new case this week, Just seen an AMD Athlon 1400 for £93, how's that sound?
    Currently running AMD k6 333. Oh yes, i will need a new board as well, or should I hang on and see how the Nintaus player sound's
    :confused: :confused: :confused: oh my head has started to hurt.

15. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You know it makes sense! :D

Check out E-Buyer for AMD prices...the 1.4 T-bird is a little less than you've been quoted. I swear by ASUS boards, but it's horses for courses really....get something that supports DDR Ram & a nice fast ATA (100 or 133) & you'll be cooking on gas. You could also buy my M-Audio 24/96 if you like ;)

Finally, if you want to throw more dosh at it, you can get some quiet fans/psu's etc from here

The way I looked at it was like this....I bought the best bits to put into the PC, coz I'm saving money by selling my Pioneer 717 DVD player, Musical Fidelity CD player, and also doing all the processing on the PC, so no expensive TAG to buy. Works for me anyway :D

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Mark

Thank's for the link's, e-buyer do have some good price's, I shall have to think about it now.

17. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    hello I've been following all the various threads regarding htpc and the various benefits...I checked out the website recommended by Shockabuku..and it left me with more questions than before but I'm still very intrigued..I'm a mac boy at present (for my work) and consequently know diddly hehaw about pcs..how would something like the HTPC Intel Celeron 700 (£698.60) compare with a similarly priced dvd player..would you need to buy a monitor too or could you do you're various set up functions etc..through the s-video connection to the tv/projector?
    It smacked a little bit of gimmick to me..but then as I say I know diddly hehaw..
    Would anyone care to enlighten me..?
    My 1st concern would be having to have a full pc set-up in the livingroom (I'm currently banished to the spare room) but if this type of creature was an upgradable beast then I would definitely consider it..anyway..all opinions welcome..many thanks

Berth

18. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just to get back to the thread, sorry.

The easy way to tell whether you have what I cal banding is to set the background to "Gray" in the options menu, when there's no signal present. I would have expected a perfectly even grey picture, but on mine I get areas that are brighter and areas that are darker.

Anyone care to report back what the grey background looks like on their PJ?

Cheers
    John

19. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Bertha, rather than hijacking this thread, we can take the HCPC discussion over to the HCPC forum if you want to recreate that post & I'll be happy to help...? Quick comment though...don't pay that amount for a Celeron 700 system!

20. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    If you don't already know that much about PCs then I wouldn't recommend going the HTPC route unless you are prepared to spend the time learning and making mistakes. ie. You are interested in getting into them. For someone who just wants to watch DVDs it makes much more sense to buy a decent player.

BTW: 700 quid is waaaaay too much for a Celeron 700 PC.

Gav

21. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    sorry all - I'll try & learn a little more before I start a new thread....cheers

Berth

22. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no need to say sorry here...

if you checkout www.avsforum.com they have some good threads about htpc and some good FAQ's which are worth a read.

At the end of the day its best to list what you need the HTPC to do, then people can suggest all the components you need to build the PC.

James