1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 Color Uniformity problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by xander, Jul 1, 2002.

1. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been running my AE100 without problems for about 200 hrs on low lamp now and while watching AI the other evening noticed a slight green tint in the lower left corner. After the movie I investigated further and discovered that the greent tint was evident in the lower left and upper right corners and that a red tint was evident in the upper left and lower right corners. This is most noticable when setting the back color to Gray and taking the input signal away (leaving an overal 16x9 gray screen).

I've notice on other forums that some of the more expensive LCD models allow you to adjust this (called polerization?) but I have not found a way to do this on the AE100 yet. Looking at the Red, Green and Blue panels individually (from the service menu), I cannot see anything wrong.

Does anyone know how to fix this in the AE100 or is it back to the service centre? It doesn't bother me in all the movies but in some it is really apparent.

TIA

2. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update: I spoke to my dealer today, who in turn spoke to Panasonic and although they were not aware of this problem before, they currently have an AE100 unit in for repairs that have exactly the same problem. They have ordered some "parts" (?) to fix the problem and have asked me to hang onto my unit while they determine whether the "parts" will fix the problem on that unit. In two weeks time they will lend me a unit while attempting to fix mine. If they can't fix it, they will go to step 2 (whatever that is - new unit?).

This arrangement suits me since we have school holidays for two weeks now and the PJ will be working overtime during this period.

Thus far I am satisfied with a very professional response from Panasonic (via my local dealer).

Also, having said that my unit does not suffer from vertical banding, I've just noticed faint vertical banding for the first time last night (in a blue sky scene). Seems that the two problems both started at the same time (ie after 200hrs low lamp)...

3. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you shure it is not just dust on the lens? That will make small green marks smaller than a pixel on the picture.

4. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, I'm not actually sure that it isn't dust, except that when I look at the R, G, B panels individually, they look perfect. The fact that Panasonic reported that they were having a unit in for repairs with the same problem (and that they have ordered a "part") together with the fact that on the other large avsforum people have reported the same problem, leads me to believe that it might be more than dust.

I could try the compressed air can trick, but would rather wait for Panasonic to look at it. I guess I would be happy in a way if it was only dust, although that would mean that one has to clean it every 2 months on the inside...

I will report back in 2 weeks.