1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 'buzzing' at power-up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dvdeviant, May 28, 2003.

1. dvdeviant

dvdeviant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had an AE100 for almost a year. It was sent away for repair last August for colour uniformity problems and was fixed around December although I've noticed that the bottom of the image is slightly brighter than the rest which isn't too intrusive - so I just live with it...

Anyway, for the last couple of months, every so often when I power-up the projector it makes an odd 'buzzing' sound for about two seconds and sometimes (2, maybe 3 times) the lamp doesn't turn on and the green power LED starts flashing. Normally, powering the PJ down (after running through the 'high' fan cooling cycle) and back up again fixes the problem. The buzzing happens more frequently than the bulb not coming on.

Anyone else had this occur? I wonder if its something to do with the power supply - maybe something to do with the power supply modification that was supposed to have been made to projectors manufactured after April last year.

Also, has anyone else gone for the extended warranty that Panasonic offer - I'm starting to feel tempted by it as I don't feel like springing for a new projector just yet or facing a large bill if the PJ fails just out of warranty...

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    dvdeviant,

Spotted this thread a while ago but forgot to come back to it.......

When I first got the AE100 it would "take its time" firing up, from time to time, with a flashing green light for a second or two. I'm not sure whetherthe "buzzing" sound you describe is from the power supply side of things, or is similar to a "whistling" noise that mine always makes for a second or two (I think from the fan).

Mine never failed to fire up (unhappy choice of words !), maybe you should think about getting it checked out by Panny, or getting the extended warranty to stay on the safe side.

Sorry can't be more help...... it's a bump anyway - some of the other AE100 members might chime in.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. dvdeviant

dvdeviant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whistling noise you describe is on mine too. The buzz is in addition to it (almost as though the fan is catching on something briefly - maybe the best way to describe the noise). The whistling was on the loan unit that I had during the previous repair (loan number 9 iirc - showed colour uniformity problems after about 20 hours use!).

The fact that my PJ took about six months to repair may mean that Panasonic might be lenient towards me if I get a problem a couple of months down the line...

The extended warranty does look tempting though!

4. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the Mercury lamps used in projectors require very high voltages to fire them up, dropping to much lower values once they are lit when the Murcury has vapourised. The noise your hearing is probably this high frequency arc that takes place within the lamp while starting.
    It sounds like the lamp is taking execessively long to fire up or there is insulation breakdown taking place somewhere. Most PJ's will make several attemps at firing up the lamp before they quit, often with some sort of error flashing LED.

This seems to be a common problem on a number of projectors, my old Tosh MT1 went through a phase often refusing to start at all, but then seemed to cure itself. Odd that.
    Can anyone add more on the Science behind the lamps?

Technophobe

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just agree with Technophobes post - both my AE100s made this type of noise on start-up.

It's the lamp firing (or "arching").

Not a problem (at least not on mine) & expected on most PJs. My HS10 also makes a similiar noise starting.

Might let you have a better night's sleep :)

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would still be interested to learn a little more about these lamps, for example why do the quoted lamp lifes range from as little as 1500 Hrs up to 4000 Hrs and above?
    Is it simply down to under running or are there other factors involved? Above all why are they so darned expensive?

Any manufacturers or suppliers care to comment?

Technophobe