Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

[AE100] Blurred moments

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Punce, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just been watching a few DVD's through my HCPC (amazing).

One thing I noticed while I was watching Shrek, with my little nephew and niece, was that when the characters are quite big in the picture, the sharpness is perfect, but they appear slightly blurred when they are smaller (ie - a zoomed out camera angle)

Sorry, I'm having a real hard time to explain what I mean here, should have listened in my English lessons at school! :clown:

Any ideas?

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Hi Punce. I was watching Shrek over the weekend & didn't notice anything weird. Will take a closer look tonight. Which region is yours? Mine's R1. Have to say, I reckon that film looks stunning on the AE100!

Just thinking though...perhaps it's a factor of the pixel structure...? Smaller parts of the image will be less defined due to the way LCD panels work, I guess.

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I suppose that could be an answer :(

I also have th R1 version.

While I'm on the subject of regions. Could someone point me in the right direction how I can change the refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz or 50Hz in Powerstrip for PAL discs?

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Punce

This sounds like the pixel structure loosing detail in the background, I believe most LCD projectors suffer from this, Maybe you should have got a DLP ;) but then you would have to suffer bad migranes.
    I first noticed this on Jurrasic park r2 in s-video, it looked better in componant, and was even better still from a PC.
    I have still to watch Shrek on the PJ, I will have to spin it and keep a watch out in the background, maybe you could pick out a perticuler scene for us.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont forget that your source is standard definition which was never designed to be blown up to such a size. The first thing to suffer is high frequency detail (which is usually the background if it is in focus)

Someday (not so far away I believe) DVDs will become high definition and this effect will be vastly reduced.

Of course, AE100 owners wont be able to notice the difference... :clown:

El

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

Yeah, we all know about blue laser disks and all that but give me a break. The film/hardware manufacturers are not going to tell the buyers of all the 10's of millions of DVD players and disks that, "ooh we decided to bring in a new high capacity high def dvd format and you're all going to have to buy new players and disks..sorry". DVD in its present form will be the main standard for the next decade at least. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see hi def disks and tv but unless the powers that be subsidised the purchase of the new equipment, then from a customer relations point of view, the introduction of a replacement dvd format so soon is not gonna happen. Its like if Sony decided to release a Playstation 3 a year after the launch of the PS2 and stopped making PS2 games because of Microsofts new Xbox. The new PS2 owners would be irate. Hi Def dvd aint gonna be mainstream so "this effect will be vastly reduced" for those that can afford the equipment

Of course not we never said it could. We PT-AE100 people bought it for one of three reasons becides its obvious merits and value for money.

1. Cant afford a dearer projector right now

2. aren't willing to spend double, triple the AE100 price for 5%, 10% improvements in pq

3. Are enjoying a quality, cheap projector now while waiting for new tecnologies with worthwhile PQ improvements coming along at reasonable prices.

Jesus EL Indio, you're like Jones Rush. The eternal sceptic( of the panny's abilities).

:D :D

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Nice one Keith :D

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Heh...Panny owners of the world unite!:D

Punce...I watched Shrek last night...and only noticed a tiny bit of the pixel structure issue that we all know exists. This is probably because my screen is not huge...about 7ft diagonal. Obviously, the bigger the screen, the more visible the effect will be. Running through a HCPC might help, simply because each pixel is reproduced as best as it can be, and what with the slight defocus (to avoid screen door) that I use, I don't perceive much loss of detail at all.

9. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I do use a HCPC. DVD through s-video sucks IMHO.

I really need to get my head around dot clocks, phases and powerstrip settings, having problems with it at the moment - any good place to get started?

10. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah, I've used them settings, but I have a difficulties in changing the settings. For instance, when I'm changing the Back and Front Porches, sometimes it won't take the value I'm giving it, and resets to a default number, and sometimes when I change other settings, I lose the picture totally, then I have to press <ESC> to get the desktop back, and then play again.

I also want to have different settings for PAL and NTSC refresh rates using shortcuts, but having problems there too - I'll have no doubt more trouble tonight when I try again. Might post on the AVSFORUM as they seem to have played with Powerstrip quite a bit!

Cheers

12. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Punce...there's some software available called DVDAutoRefresh. It automatically recognises whether the current DVD is PAL or NTSC, & switches between Powerstrip settings for you. I haven't used it yet, but I've heard some good things. You can get it (so to speak) here.

I've also had a few similar issues with Powerstrip settings. I've just left them as close as I could get & all appears ok.

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    A close up of a face fills more of your screen, so it also fills more of the LCD panel. This means more pixels are used to make the image = higher definition.

A wide angle shot contains lots of smaller images. Each image is composed of fewer pixels. Less pixels = lower definition.

Your TV works in the same way. Sit close to the screen and look at the same scenes, the same thing happens here. You just don't notice it as much at normal viewing distances because the TV screen is smaller compared to the projection screen.

Regards

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not talking about using new hardware, I am talking about using a different encoding method.

One of the bodies that regulates DVD voted recently NOT to move to blue laser but to move to Mpg4 encoding for hi-def on a standard 9gig DVD.

This would mean same players, same medium, different decoder chip set. It would also be a massive victory for Microsoft.

Talking of which, most people already have a hi-def output device in their homes ie. their computer monitor. And who makes the software that runs on that screen? Spot a connection?

Hey, dont be so uptight!

Some people believe that the possessions that they own/buy somehow reflects themselves as a person, and therefore go all defensive when someone critises that item (which BTW I wasnt). Thats just silly.

The real idiots are the people who buy the Sony VW11-HT, only to play DVDs....:clown:

15. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    :D :D :D I'm sorry El Indio but you really are talkin a load of cr*p.:D

Mpeg4 is a 'lossier' encoding method. Smaller file sizes all right but picture quality is inferior to mpeg2 DVD. DVD players won't be able to decode mpeg4 either. "different decoder chipset" Yeah get an expensive new chipset fitted in your player or buy a new player altogether. Like I said in my previous post. "It ain't gonna happen." And how is it a massive victory for Microsoft. What in the name of god do they have to do with anything??? We are not talkin about PC here, were talkin about standard dvd players.

Your monitor isn't a hidef output device, your PC is. If by hidef you mean the high resolutions it can output. The only way you get real hiDef. ie Hidef tv(only broadcast in the US and Japan) is if you fit a hidef tuner card. As far as I know Microsoft have absolutely nothing to do with MPEG1,MPEG2,MP3,MPEG4,HI-DEF TV or VIDEO. So what connection are you on about??

You seem to portray yourself as someone knowledgeable and with insight or inside knowledge even. As far as I can tell you just seem to be talking through your Ar*e!:D

People we have our new Chompy/Charles/El Indio:D

16. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact of the matter is this - The current MPEG2 DVD encoding method will NOT be changing anytime soon. Not to MPEG4 or the proposed 25GB HD-DVD discs. I hope to hell they don't go with MPEG4.