1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 at bargan price or pay the extra for the AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by muzz10, Apr 25, 2003.

1. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ineterested to check if anyone has owned/used both these models and what there advise would be.
    Is the AE300 worth the extra £850 (£760 for the AE100) or is it better to get the AE100 and use the savings on a decent screen. The use would be movies / sport in a purpose built home cinema.
    TIA
    :laugh:

2. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Muzz,

As an Ae300 owner I can heartily recommend this projector as picture quality (particularly from DVD) is superb.

I havent owned an AE100 but have seen it demoed and the picture quality is definitely inferior, though that isnt to say its bad - vertical banding and screendoor are more apparent.

However, at that price it is a stonking deal for the money and I couldn't honestly argue that the AE300 is twice as good but even at twice as much it is still very good VFM IMO.

You really need to get a demo of both to judge for yourself - other options to consider are the AE200 and Sanyo Z1 which are at an in-between price point and seem to be well-regarded on this forum.

Personally, I spent a long time considering all of the above (and the more expensive Sony HS10) but chose the AE300 and havent regretted it - I saved a bit of money by building my own screen using blackoutblind material.

Good luck with your choice......

3. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've owned both the AE100 & 300.
    Personally, upgrading to the AE300 was justified, as the picture quality was so much better.

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I agree with the Z1 comment. I got one and like it a lot. The AE300 is better, but not by much and my Z1 was £1269 all in (including dead-pixel check). It's definitely worth considering if money's tight.

From what I've heard, the AE100 isn't that great, and has had some serious reliability issues.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Muzz,

Not necessarily disagreeing with previous posts, but would recommend that you see both PJs in action before you choose - while all our opinions are valid in one way or another, you should let your own eyes judge whether the difference in price is justified.

All the best,

Sean G.

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    if this is your first pj - I would suggest you go for the cheap ae100 - keep your fingers crossed that you get an enjoyable couple of years viewing out of it and then go for the ae600 - when it comes out..or invariably pick up a dirt cheap ae300 (by then)..

:D

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE100 is unbelieveable value for <£800 :eek: Most here paid nearly twice that & still viewed it as a steal.

Laws of diminishing returns kick in here - big time. Your first PJ - definitely consider the AE100 (get to see one in action first). If you've got a bit more to spend, definitely look at the ZI/AE300 (in that order).

As to whether the AE300 is worth twice the price of the AE100 - well, that's a tough one, & ultimately only for you to decide.

Best of luck with whichever PJ you choose ;)

8. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projector technology is moving fast forward.

I haven't seen the AE100, but I own AE300 and it's performing very well for the first projector role.

Why buy old technology when you have a chance now to buy the latest here in UK?

I'd say go for AE300, you won't regret it (or maybe only when AE400 comes out ;)).

All the Best,

Julia

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    muzz10

I was in exactly the same possition as you and it was a massive pain trying to decide what to do!!

In the end my decision went like this:

Panny AE300 - £1500
    Screen - £100
    HK DVD25 dvd player- £300 (with prog scan etc)
    Cable - £20

Total - £1920

Panny AE100 - £600 (demo unit from RW)
    Screen - £100,
    Cable - £20
    HK DVD25 - £300.

Total - £1020!!

Can you guess which way I went in the end??

10. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You didn't HAVE to buy a prog scan player though...?

11. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont HAVE to buy any of it though do I?? (Plus my current DVD player doesnt have component outputs)

I was using it as an example of the fact that I have bought a complete setup for £500 less than the AE300 costs.

Showing that for ME it was not a hard decision!!

12. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Comparing PJs (or any product) at different pricepoints is never straightforward is it?

If your purchasing decision was purely based on cost then it'd be a no-brainer! However, the question is how much do you value the extra picture quality of the AE300 over the AE100?

Does it give an £800 better picture? Who can answer this, it really is a matter of personal preference and why it would be wise to see both in action before deciding.

Of course there are other factors involved here - the 300 (american and japanese versions) seem to have a much better reliability record than the AE100.

Personally, for me it was a similar decision but between the AE300 and the Sony HS-10. I chose the panny because I didnt value the extra resolution of the Sony at the £400 - £500 price difference

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would view this questiomn as being a function of future plans. Do you intend to buy one machine and keep it for 5 years? Then get the better one! But if you are using it as a step to a better system in 6 or 12 months, then get the lesser machine, you will see less depreciation and consequently can concentrate on a better future purchase

ad

14. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments on this thread which will be useful to others with the same choice to make as well.
    I'm going to check the AE100 out first and if I'm happy with the picture then the bargain price is the go. I would usually just go for the latest/greatest model, but in this case the older model will do fine.