1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 and VGA help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nwgarratt, Dec 9, 2004.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I have searched but had trouble getting the info I needed. There was a 1:1 pixel mapping link but it didn't work.

I want to experiment in connecting my PC to my AE100 and play DVD's from it. How do I set it up?

I intend to get a 5m VGA male to male cable. Will I need to use a switch box to get both my LCD monitor and projector working at the same time?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Ok, a bit of progress. I found hoglet's 1:1 mapping advise.

Is it really necessary to use powerstrip? Can I just plug the computer to the projector and switch on?

Does the mapping improve the picture?

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You don't have to use powerstrip - you can use an 800x600 or 1024x768 standard resolutions - the AE100 will synch to those resolutions just fine and you can see what it's like, but you'll get far better results using powerstrip and the correct timings to get 1:1 pixel mapping - it really does improve the picture. I'm not impressed with the AE100's ability to scale standard resolutions, having used 1:1 mapping pretty much for all of the time that I've had it.

Sean G.

4. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can avoid powerstrip if you have an nVidia graphics card as the latest drivers let you define custom resolutions in much the same way powerstrip does. As soon as these were available I ditched Powerstrip and had a much more stable set-up.

1:1 mapping is noticably clearer than anything else on the AE100, if you check the manual Panasonic states the picture quality is highest at 848x480 ( or something similar ) resolution. This is how I ran my AE100 and it's definately how to get the best out of the projector.

Cheers

Simon

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Thanks for the replies. I have a Nvidia MX440 Gforce 4 card.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I have just updated my graphics driver and I can know select the 864 x 480 resolution. I think I will ditch powerstrip especially as it requires purchasing.

Does anyone know any decent vga cables?

Will a standard vga cable be sufficient?

Thanks.

7. Bill

Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Thanks for that link. I might have to go with the cheaper Premium cable rather than the gold version.

9. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Get a standard VGA cable, as short as you can live with, and you'll be fine. I ran mine with a 15M one that cost less than £20 a few years ago. When I upgraded my projector I switched from this cable to a Lindy DVI-D one, as the new projector accepted this, and the difference was noticable but not great - I put that down to DVI-D vs VGA rather than the cable.

Cheers

Simon

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I think I will get a standard cable as I have a feeling it will be more of a experiment rather than something permanent.

Thanks for the replies.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    RGBHV (vga) is quite robust and you don't really need a fancy cable over even long distances (just a decent one).

Powerstrip comes with a very generous trial period (all you have to do is exit an ever increasing duration pop up when it loads other than that its fully functional.). It is only about 15quid to buy though and I feel if it improves your picture substantially thats not an exorbitant amount.

Some driver versions allow the selection of 856x480 without resorting to powerstrip . (its actually a fairly standard resolution these days)

You should go 1:1 on the ae100 otherwise it loses a lot in quality.

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I have won a standard vga able of ebay and am really just interested in getting it working. I can look at picture quality later.

Am I correct that all I need to do is change the resolution (using Nvidia driver probably) and change cables over. Then attach the cable to the projector.

I am looking forward to seeing what WinDVD is like. It has a widescreen monitor setting should I set it on?

Also, is it possible output HD standard (720) to the projector? Is that what the 1280 x 720 resolution used for?

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, that's it.......

Are you asking about Windvd ?? I normally set the software player (Powerdvd6 in my case) to "Keep Aspect Ratio". If you're asking about the graphics card, then if it has an inbuilt 856x484 res, it will know it's pointing at a widescreen monitor (ie the AE100)

You can send a 1280x720 res to the AE100, but imo you'd be better of leaving it at 856x484...... the extra detail in a HD signal will be scaled into that res by your graphics card far better than the AE100 could do it, so you get the benefit of that and of the image clarity that results from 1:1 pixel matching.

I don't rate the AE100's ability to scale different computer resolutions, tbh, 1:1 pixel matching at 856x484 (or 848x480, a near match) is the best option. If you're running a pc there's no reason to run any other res.

Sean G.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I got the cable in the post and done a hour test with it.

So far, I am impressed. I ran powerstrip as when I used the nvidia drivers, the desktop came out slightly fuzzy. I notcied it as well while playing a DVD.

I ran WinDVD with the widescreen monitor setting on and it looked right.

Would it be ok to do the following?

If I connected a VGA splitter (one of those Y cables) of the computer. I then attached the monitor permantly on one end. I will be leaving the VGA cable attached to the projector and thinking of just attaching the other end of the cable to the second end of the splitter when I need it. It will save having to pull cables off the projector and the PC.

I also noticed that the pciture shifted a bit after leaving WinDVD. The H and V position changed slightly on the projector

I can see why someone might want a dedicated HCPC.