1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ae100 and DVD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by miniroll171, Jan 16, 2003.

1. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I got my new Panasonic Ae100 projector last week and am slowly getting my room re-aranged for using it. I've got the 70" floor standing HomeScreen from the Widescreen centre and am getting a shelf made for me to put the projector on. The only thing I have left to sort out is a new DVD player.

At the moment I am using an old Pioneer DV530. This player has an RGB scart but no component out, so I will want to upgrade. I have tried the projector on this player using the digital out to my Marantz SR4200 amp and the three meter Svideo lead that comes with the projector.

All looks fine apart from I notice slight lip sync issues. Might this be because my Svideo lead is 3 meters and the audio cable is only 1 meter?

The two DVD players I am considering are the Toshiba 220 and the philips 963.

Could anyone who has one of these players and the projector let me know if you get lip sync problems? I read somewhere that progressive scan can cause lip sync problems as it take longer to combine/send the frame?

I don't mind going for the Toshiba 220 and losing the progressive scan if the lip sync will be better?

Thanks for any info
    Neal

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't expect you to get lipsync errors with your current player unless its known for this type of problem (like the older pioneer 717).

just out of interest, you have reset all the speaker distances/ delays on your amp since getting the projector?
    if you previously used the amp with a TV, you would have had different settings? worth checking anyway.

all the reports of lipsync problems with the philips seem to be from plasma owners AFAIK...so maybe a specific problem with these and not just the 963.

as is, in comparison to the tosh220, you could always use the 963 interlaced if you found you did have a problem with it.. certainly not reported by other AE100 owners in similar combos.

there's also the tosh 520e which RS have for approx £179 if you want a cheaper player that gives you the chance of doing progscan (though NTSC only).

3. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you are right! It must me my DVD player or the DVD. I noticed it when watching the special hidden Two Towers trailer on the extended version of LOTR. When I watch the bit where the King is doing his speech while putting on his armour, the lip sync is well out! It might be this disc or maybe my player, will have to check some more films later.

I guess I would not have noticed it before on my 32" screen, but now it's blow up to 70" it's very noticible when he speaks :)

Thanks
    Neal