1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE100 & AE300 Internal Temperatures

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Jul 17, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Those that have followed my AE100/300 threads will probably know that my AE100 probably died of Heat soak and that I got an AE300 with the refund. I was thrilled with the quiet fan on the 300 because it meant I could actually run the fan on high permanently and the fan volume only increased to the level of the fan on low on my old ae100, thus hopefully protecting my 300 from suffering the same fate as my old PJ.

The temps I'm getting with the the 300 with the fan on low were 70(internal) and 170(external) and with the fan on high they are 95(int) and 170(ext). Great I thought, a whole 20 point decrease in temp (taking into account the well known fact that as the reading increases in numerical value the temp is actually decreasing). The thing is though that I came across an old pic of the self check screen from my ae100 and the 2 temps were 150(int) and 170(ext). Now either this means the internal temp of my Ae300 is 50 points higher than my old AE100 and Panny have sacrificed internal cooling for the sake of reducing fan db's on the 300....or......they are using a new measurement of temps on the 300.

Anyone got any idea, which might be the case??

Im a little bit worried now.............Though I suppose it will give me an excuse to get an AE400 next year!!:D :D

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you'd care to send me your AE300 - I'd be glad to "open her up" ala HS10 stlye, & give you an opinion :D

The AE100's temp monitoring was abysimal - just 1 internal temp diode (the other just inside the filter intake).

Looks like the AE300 is exactly the same :eek:

Can't answer on the relative temps - maybe some info's been posted at avs...

I do think Panasonic have compromised on cooling for silence & predict (hoping I'm wrong) that there will be problems with the AE300 over time/ during extended viewing periods.

Hope that fire extinguisher you ordered isn't needed Keith :rotfl:

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Needless to say that I'll be the guinea pig as I've already overtaken all the AVS AE300 owners on the hours front already. 470hrs and counting!! :D I've decided I don't mind being without a projector for three months of the year. If Panasonic want to give me their latest PJ for free every year for extended runtime testing.....then thats fine by me!! :D :D

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Holy God :cool:

11hours per day, every day since
    :clap:

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Jaysus, I thought I had it for longer than that!! :D

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

Having seen pictures of your set-up, the fact that you've got the AE300 upside-down on a shelf probably isn't helping the internal temperature - if the pj was on a ceiling mount, there would be more air circulating around the casing. I ain't being a "prophet of doom" but I reckon you'll probably be knocking on Panny's door for an AE400, right enough; I don't think projectors in this class are designed for continuous extended running - I could (and hope I am) well be wrong, but I agree with Kramer on the simplicity of the internal design - one fan in, one fan out, and the "silent running" mode for me point to something that was designed for "occasional" use - a few hours at a trot for movies, football etc.

470 hours ????:eek:

All the best,

Sean

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You know my situation guys. 3 other siblings all wanting their alone time with the PJ :rolleyes: Anytime I bring the extended use subject up with them I get, "Don't worry Keith We'll pay our share of the next PJ when this one blows up" They bloody better!! :D

I might try a little experiment Sean, though it'll ruin my perfect alignment that took me ages to get right! I'll put it right way up and leave it on for an hour and then check temps.

Otherwise I might have to seriously consider LTJ's water bottle cooling solution!! :D :D

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I remember when I had an AE300 on demo and the top of the unit, after just 15-20 minutes, was almost too hot to touch. There is absolutely no way this thing is designed to be sat upside down on a shelf as in your pics.

I'd make sure Panasonic don't get to see those pics :)

I guess with 11 hours run time per day (insane :eek: ) you certanly don't need any heating on in that room.

Have you considered adding some ventilation holes in that shelf just to get some more air around the case?

9. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well its actually raised about a centimetre up off the shelf by 4 foam bungs so its not in direct contact with the shelf. Looks like I might have to consider some external methods of cooling the unit. Maybe cut a hole in the shelf and mount a PC fan blowing up at the top/base of the PJ with memory heatsinks thermal pasted onto the top/base.

I know I joke about the hours issue and I do realise how insane my PJ usage is but as I said there is always someone who wants to use it. If I was living on my own it would probably be used 5 or 6 hours absolute max cause I do have to go to work!!, though the casual thread browser might assume I'm an unemployed couch potato considering the amount of hours used. :D

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would placing a piece of duvatyne in front of the PJ (on the shelf) help by reducing the reflections and improve PQ?

11. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Stop being silly_nathan :D

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I just rechecked my hours and its actually 440 which means 10 hours per day. Still 'insane' though:blush: thats two or three cycles though. Its usually off for an hour or two in between at least.

I carried out the experiment tonight with the fan on high as it always is with my 300 and the unit had been on non stop for about 6 hours. If I remember correctly my AE100 was very hot to the touch over the whole top surface when in use. First I checked the temp of the black base (which as you remember is the top when my 300 is in use) With me facing the PJ and the lens and intake fan on left -

front left (lens/fan) quadrant - cool
    front right quadrant - luke warm
    back left quadrant - cool
    back right (bulb) quadrant - warm as opposed to very warm or hot
    Then I turned the PJ 'right' side up, left it for 30 minutes and then performed the same temp check on the 'real' top of the PJ (with the buttons)With me facing the PJ and the lens and intake fan on right -

front right (lens/fan) quadrant - luke warm
    front left quadrant - cool
    back right quadrant - cool
    back left (bulb) quadrant - warm as opposed to very warm or hot

So there seems to be some shift in air distribution inside the unit depending on orientation. No outside surface of the PJ felt anywhere near as hot as my old Ae100's whole top surface.
    The onscreen temp reading went from 92 to 93 after 2 or 3 minutes and stayed static for the rest of the 30 minute test period with the PJ in coffee table orientation.

I then turned the fan on full which sounds like a jet taking off and over the space of about 6 or 7 minutes the temp went from 92-93 to 111 and didn't get any cooler after that.

So.............what do I make of all that. It definately feels nowhere near as hot as my old Ae100. So is it a new measurement system. The fact that the external temperature (intake fan) reading is the same for both PJ's would seem to indicate otherwise, whereas the only explanation for the much higher internal reading on the 300 and yet much lower outside PJ surface temps seems to me to be the measuring system. eg they've gone from celsius to fahrenheit or something like that.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah I was being serious!

If a PJ is sitting on shiny surface, any light reflect from the surface back onto the lens (could) effect the projected image.

Therefore placing a piece of black cloth directly in front of the PJ will probably improve PQ.

Try it, use a black T shirt or something.

14. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You're still being silly_nathan! This has got nothing to do with PQ its about temperature me oul flower................Damn I fell into his silly trap :D:D:D

15. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we have a new guinea pig!

Where I work our Panasonic A300 is on constantly from 9am until 6pm.
    We have had it since about March - ish.
    It now has 560+ hours on the bulb which is running on high mode.
    I'll keep you informed on any updates!

16. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Otherwise I might have to seriously consider LTJ's water bottle cooling solution!! "

Blimey you are desperate

Oi Calibos,, you may mock......

Here in London the weather has been very hot plus high ambient evening temperatures.
    I'm still using a hot water bottle which is chilled in the fridge at around 5c. This is plopped on top of the heat sinks ( by the way I've never suggested using a thermal paste)

I've tried the bottle in frozen state but as Sean suggested some time ago condensation can be a problem.

All in all though still running the external fan, which as you may remember draws air through a filter. I actually place one of those picnic icepacks before the filter to cool the air as it's drawn across.

Unconventional? Yes. Fool hardy? Well nothings happened yet that smacks of disaster.

I'm now trying to find a way to defrost the dinner and keep the PJ cool.
    Very green...
    The only problem with this approach the lenght and content of the programme material becomes very relevant.

Eg Watching Englands opening batsmen in a test only gives you enough time to defrost a sausage.
    Whereas if you want to defrost the Sunday joint you have to sit through some two hour epic- Ben Hur or El Cid.

I did use a vegetarian quiche that needed defrosting for tea the other evening. For that I had to endure "Gone with the wind"

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lawrence,

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Nice to see you back !!!!!!

Sean G.