Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AE100 1 stuck pixel getting replaced by panasonic

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sandman, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    I am new to projecters and as most of you know bought a AE100 last month from Robert Whyte. Anyway it has a stuck blue pixel and I had been told and researched myself to find out that panasonic allows three stuck blue pixels before it will replace the projector.
    I thought I would give them a phone and see what they say anyway. Last night I phoned the product support number and was told that indeed unless I had three blue pixels there is nothing they could do for me. The helpful guy did however siggest that I try their customer support number as they might be more helpful. I phoned them this morning and they were great. Anyway they gave me the choice of returning it to the shop and telling them I had been promised a replacement or having my unit collected from my office. I opted for the latter as I am a busy man. They are collecting it on friday. I will keep you updated.
    oh yeah, the reason they will replace it is because it is only a month old (so Im told).

2. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I also dealt with Robert Whyte recently when I purchased and returned a Sony HS10.

1st projector returned due to convergence fault within a few days; replacement provided immediately but was also returned within a week after the HS10 lamp light came on and refused to start up.

Robert Whyte were excellent to deal with under the circumstances. The PJs were graded stock at £1399-Sony still offer a full warranty on these - I opted for a refund- which was promptly provide by Whytes.

It would have been a bigger hassle if dealing by mail order, but I live not far from Glasgow and was able to visit the shop to discuss the problems and get the exchange and then the refund

Maybe I was unluckly to get two dodgy units, but I will buy another PJ in due course- probably from Robert Whyte-although tempted to wait and spend a bit more on a new HS20.

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I wonder what manufacturers do with all those dead/stuck pixels.
    I think most of them are eco friendly and recycle them !!!

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    I wouldnt be surprised if they passed them on as refurbished products.

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    Well the repaired projector arrived at my house at 9.15 this morning. I have not switched it on yet as I had to leave for work but will fire it up tonight.
    It came with the repair reciept itemising what they did and how much it cost to fix.
    Replacement optics £596.00
    Labour £50
    It also said they realigned the shading or something like that.
    Anyway they spent £646 fixing a machine that can be bought for £599. Seems strange they didnt just replace it.

6. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    Fired it up last night and was very pleased at first to see no dead pixels. However, being the person I am I decided to have a closer look. I set it to show a black screen and stood close to the screen. I was shocked and disapointed to see that there are now 4 partly stuck green pixels. Only a quarter of each pixel (half on one of them) is stuck on green. I hadnt noticed them when watching the tv or a dvd but on a black screen they are noticable.
    This isnt nearly as bad as my one bright blue pixel in the middle of the screen but shouldnt I have a completely stuck pixel free projector? Should I send it back and risk getting it back with worse stuck pixels or should I be happy that is is better than before? Does anybody have an AE100 with no problems whatsoever? What are the chances of getting a problem free repair this time or was I just unlucky this time?

7. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sandman
    send it back! you'll find yourself being distracted by them once you know theyre there...