1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ae100 £1084

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Oct 2, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
  2. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't forget the VAT mate ;) although hopefully for your sake barclaycard will.

Or have you alread got way with it you lucky bugger???

Tim

3. balgar

balgar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got my panny from www.go2camcorder.co.uk it was manufactured in July of this year and has been running for 2 hours :)
    It took over a week to get here but price was cheapest i've ever seen it anywhere.
    I'm new to the world of projectors and i also made the mistake of buying a pull down screen that is 51" wide - it is WAY too small ;) i've sinced ditched it and projected instead straight onto my wall which is fine for now until i make my own.
    My first impressions were ok - i was using an s-vid connexion from toshiba sd220 - the pic quality wasnt all that good, i then tried the x-box and was VERY impressed especially as i havent even got the high definition kit!

Anybody want to buy a screen ;) ?

4. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We have been offered stock by the said company, but were not sure of their origin and therfore may not covered by UK warranty! They may of course be UK stock but seings as the company has German roots I am not sure

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my AE-100 from hificomponents in Germany, the parent company of go2camcorder I believe.

It was a European model, fully covered by warranty here in Ireland.

That's a pretty damning statement coming from one retailer against another (even if you are an advertiser here) . I do hope you can "back up" that statement or be prepared to pay the ensuing damages if not.

Very disappointing to see such a statement from what was regarded as a "good" retailer by many here. Not doing yourselves any favours IMO.

BTW, aren't all AE-100s grey :eek:

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I am no expert on consumer matters, however i would fully expect the supply and sale of goods act to provide protection to the consumer not to mention credit card company.
    Also remember very many companies that are big names in the field have no problems with grey units,Richersounds being a prime example.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,541
    Yep - Ben. Can you prove that 100% of Go2Camcorder's stock are Grey Imports? If not the you must retract your statement, please.

8. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry about that, I have edit my previous post. Let me clarify this. The said company has german 'origins' . IF, and that is IF the projector was bought from Panasonic in germany then panasonic Germany will have made the profit on the unit, Panasonic UK (a seperate trading company) will therefore be unlikely to want to service under warranty a German machine, which they have not sold in the first place. I personally would not like to try and convince Panasonic in the UK to try and service a foreign unit, especially as they are so tight on warranty restrictions on UK stuff. Looking at the 'reliability' history of the AE100 this is a chance I personally would not be willing to take, but that is my personal opinion!

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    All you need now Ben is for those accusing you of defamation to edit their own posts:)

I agree with you on grey imports even though I have happily bought from Europe myself. This is fine so long as you accept that your only recourse will be with the firm you bought from, and may involve extra carriage, at your own expense, in order to resolve a problems. Even despite european harmonisation your position regarding consumer rights can be unclear (do you know what the German equivalent of the Sale Of Goods act is?)

Having said that my experiences at buying abroad have for the moment been exemplary. I don't think Hayden would have been interested in having my Denon 2800 back with its problems after 11 months, and exchanging it for a newer model.

It is anomalous that despite the single market we have overseas manufacturers represented in individual european companies who try to maintain that they are completely autonomous from each other whilst selling the same product. I'm no expert on european trading legislation, but my hope would be that the ability of manufacturers to avoid providing europewide warranties will be eroded with time. Only then we will be paying the same price for our consumer goods from Ireland to Turkey.

Therefore at the moment buying from europe can;
    -save you money in the short term
    -cost you grief if your product has problems in the long term
    Not a chance I would take in buying the Ae100 with its record, but there are other products which if the saving is sufficient and I can find a retailer I trust I personally would take the chance. It is something you have to think long and hard about before doing though.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

10. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I Totally agree, in some respects buying from europe presents more benefits than drawbacks. And I myself have bought from europe on a number of occasions. However in the case of an AE100 from lets say germany, to avoid sending the unit back to germany for repair (and assuming that you manage to persuade Panasonic UK to repair the unit, within in itself is very unlikely!) upon fault you would have to go through an authorised UK dealer, as Panasonic are just not geared up to deal with the end user - The dealers are under absolutely no obligation to service or send back to Panasonic even UK stuff bought from other dealers, and especially not grey. So effectively you are asking a dealer to invest their staff time, admin costs and use their authorised status to fix a product bought from a source which is helping to undermine their business, I don't want to speak for other dealers but too my mind there is just no incentive there! Please understand I am not having a dig at other retailers, just warning of the potential dangers of having a product that is technically under warranty, but practically will have to be shipped to and from Germany every fault it develops! I would welcome clarification from Panasonic on the matter, but, excuse the pun, it is a very 'Grey' area as far as they are concerned!

I must just add though, and this is important! If a retailer has european stock and chooses to issue their OWN in house UK warranty with that then that is entirely different,

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done.

Sympathy for a retailer (& forum advertiser) publically questioning the legitimacy of another retailer's stock & warranty is misplaced IMO. Certainly wouldn't be tolerated from an "ordinary" forum user & shamefull conduct just because someone's selling the same product at a lower price.

Manufacturer's CANNOT avoid honouring warranties on goods purchased in the EU, & destined for the EU market.

IT'S THE LAW.

Especially those selling at lower prices who may not be based in the UK :D

That's a bit OTT isn't it :eek: & utterly untrue.

My AE-100 was faulty on receipt so Panasonic UK (yes - UK - all service work for Panasonic - Ireland now goes through the UK operation, obviously Irish service centres handle repairs) & I was told that a repair was no problem under warranty.

But for a replacement I would have to contact the vendor. This I did & rec'd a replacement unit (after great struggle & hardship may I add).

I'm not advocating buying from the continent, but DO take offence at a UK retailer (or any for that matter) who may be seen to be denigrating competitors.

As members of the EU, we are all governed by european law, & the law here is quite simple.

Neither Panasonic nor anyone else can evade the law.

Rant over :D

12. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This seems to really get under your skin Kramer, have you had a traumatic experience?

All on here will know I'm the last on here to defend the restrictive trade practices of UK AV retailers and distributors, but I do have some sympathy for the situation that retailers here find themselves in. That are forced to buy their stock from the UK retailers who with very little exception charge a higher price than their mainland equivalent, otherwise they are denied access to UK based service and support. If they are a big enough firm (eg. Richers) they can bear the cost of support themselves, but the little guys are stuck with coughing up the higher wholesale prices. They are then tied into maintaining the monopoly by self interest, but increasingly find that their customers are looking elsewhere to the continent for better prices.

It might be illegal in Ireland, but sadly it is quite easily done in this country. All you do is put a 3 pin plug with it and a different serial no. and you've got a UK only product. Sell your product then through a UK only distribution company and you can then refer customers back to the european service centre where the product was originally intended for market. This is the process I'm hoping will be eroded in time (for all products, AV, hifi, cars etc) but for the moment continues even though it is against the spirit, though not the letter, of european trading law.

Believe you me I've been through all of this with Denon (aka Hayden in the UK). I do believe it will change though.

This is well off topic, and I especially resent giving Techtronics an ad every time I post here so I'll stop..happy to continue elsewhere if you wish though.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not really.

Just not a big fan of scaremongering & misinformation on public forums.

BTW, agree with your post, but I don't think Ireland is any different from any other EU state - the same laws apply to us all.

........... Kramer now steps away from the pedestal...his mind at ease.. at peace with the world.

Giddy up :D

14. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Lets look at this one from a different angle, If Panasonic UK will repair European units under warranty as if they were UK units - why do we all (Dealers in general) pay more and get them from Panasonic in the UK? Surely the need for Panasonic UK as a trading company would cease!