AE1 - AE300 Acoustic Energy

nottstu

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am using AE1 (original, pre-'classic') speakers with a Yamaha RXV800 a/v amp.

The speakers were always known for being a bit weak in bass but they meet my needs for everything else (especially compactness!!) so for several years I've accepted the limitations but am now thinking about an upgrade.

I've fought off any suggestion of a sub-woofer (for domestic acceptability reasons) and have begun looking to replace the AE1s with something which shows the inevitable advance of technology while remaining very compact.

Given it's description on the company website as 'tracing heritage' to the original AE1 and due to being the same size, obviously the AE300 has to be given consideration.

The AE300 is quite well commented on in review reports but I can't divine whether that's just in comparison to other speakers in the price category and most Importantly for me, how they compare with earlier now unavailable products from the same manufacturer. (Given that ownership of the manufacturer has changed but last I heard the key staff are fairly original.)

Bearing in mind that the original AE1 cost significantly more than the AE300 price category, even before adjusting for changes in the value of money, do people think I woud be downgrading to something that's just new or has technology advanced enough that I can spend much less and at the same time get much more than my older product?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom