AE TD10H/BMS4550/SEOS10 Build

I guess that you can look at it this way that if you cld this one and it sounds better! you've only got the one set to complete.

got another box gluing up, this one is nice and shiny due to the damping and it is also very very nearly a perfect fit :) I think the next one might be a bit ropier but still

shiny.png

all boxes now glued up and lined with felt (almost, I ran out of felt on the last one without complete coverage *shakes fist*), last 2 baffles will go on tomorrow and then I just have the outer panels to shape and attach which I'm aiming to get done on Sat. There's then a whole load of sanding and oiling to do as well as verifying the crossover is good but this particular tortoise does finally have something resembling the finish line in sight :)

picked up the violet valchromat today, I thought I'd made an error when I saw it in the wood shop but here it is against the wall. I reckon that will work pretty well once it is oiled.

upload_2016-6-11_19-9-25.png

meanwhile the pile of boxes that need sanding and oiling have grown just a bit

upload_2016-6-11_19-10-40.png

Coming along nicely [emoji122]

chamfered the side panels & the separator, pic to give an idea of how it will look

upload_2016-6-12_19-54-11.png

this is where the slight inconsistency in my cuts can be seen, with hindsight I can see I should have taken the time to ensure the trapezoid top/bottom panels were all absolutely identical. I'll need to mix and match to see which ones are most similar instead :)

I'm still unsure about the look of those violet side panels, we'll see soon enough!

If you ever do something like this again and are making more than one of the same thing I usually make one and then rough cut the other pieces and then trim guided router them using the first parts as templates so they are all identical

got some measurements of my current xo design today

attachment.php

and with a 8 cycle fdw to try to see the low end, the notch is floor bounce

attachment.php

looks like some minor tweaks required to bring the 600-3kHz level up a touch

the 2nd graph is with 2.83V at 1m btw so shows sensitivity, comes in at pretty 93dB all the way

attachment.php

impedance shows it as a 4ohm speaker but nothing too demanding really.

The more I see of your work with these the more I realise speaker designing is beyond me! [emoji53]
Frustrating because I really enjoy the physical building and really want to build something I've designed. Maybe if I keep reading one day I'll get my head around it?

The more I see of your work with these the more I realise speaker designing is beyond me! [emoji53]
Frustrating because I really enjoy the physical building and really want to build something I've designed. Maybe if I keep reading one day I'll get my head around it?
I think you just have to try it really, just give it a go on a fairly simple 2 way. Alternatively take a proven design and see if you can design it yourself.

got another box gluing up, this one is nice and shiny due to the damping and it is also very very nearly a perfect fit :) I think the next one might be a bit ropier but still

View attachment 719426
Those Silent Coat pads go on well, don't they? :D I did however wipe and roughly seal the inside of the boxes first so that I could be more confident they'd stay there.

Looking good, Matt!

I have a start on finishing these cabinets. I sanded through 80-120-240-500 all the way round which has left them nice and smooth. I then started oiling on the back panel, first coat didn't even need any wiping down, it just drank it up. Second coat still needed a few goes over it to leave excess sitting on top. I wiped this off by wrapping a triple folded sheet of lint free cloth (I made one of those internet purchases that result in industrial quantities of shop rags arriving in an enormous box!) around a sanding block to ensure I was able to wipe the excess off as consistently as possible. This seemed to work well but we will see tonight once that has dried.

I reckon the next coat will really start to sit on the surface so hopefully one more coat then sanding to 1000 then a final coat will be sufficient. I need to do more sanding anyway as I also appear to have ordered enough sheets of sanding paper to open a shop with.

This would mean my max throughout would be about 3 days per face though baffle and sides can be done at once. 2 weeks per batch (only have space to do 4 speakers at once) so should be done around early August :confused:

Yeah looking nice and smooth! A lot of work sanding it by the sound of it but worth it in the end!

I have been oiling away this weekend and I reckon I have just one, maybe two, coats left to go on the sides and then these 4 cabinets are complete. The purple seems harder to get a smooth finish out of so i think it needs another sand then a coat or two.

Ridiculous amount of oil going into them though, 2L since Thursday evening! I bought a load of foam brushes to get it on and it means you can basically ladle it into them to speed up the first coat (ie stand there for 30 min just mopping it down to keep it wet, next 2 coats then go on more normally)

paid a trip to epicfail.com as I realised that the FRD I'd been using for my sim was missing mic cal file o_O fortunately this only really affects the shaping of the top end but back to the drawing board anyway. Good job I noticed though :rolleyes:

They are looking really good Matt, worth the hard work you've had to put in.

What material have you lined them with; looks like a stick on type damping and then more of a wool type?

What material have you lined them with; looks like a stick on type damping and then more of a wool type?
the lower layer is 4mm silentcoat extra - Silent Coat Extra
the top layer is 14mm herdwick sheeps wool felt - Loudspeaker damping materials for DIY speaker kits.
the outer panels are glued on with a ~1-2mm layer of sikaflex 291i which is meant to have damping properties - http://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikaflex-291i-marine-adhesive-and-sealant-300ml--p233.html
they'll be stuffed with herdwick sheeps wool as well

I want to get a rubber sheet to separate the mid from the woofer as well, haven't got that yet though

Thanks for that Matt; I might add do similar with my 15" as I've striped them down to take off the Oak covering I put round them.

Thanks for that Matt; I might add do similar with my 15" as I've striped them down to take off the Oak covering I put round them.
It does seem a pretty effective way to add mass to a panel which should damp the resonance, haven't measured the effect yet though. However you are likely to be better off focusing on stiffening the box for a sub as this pushes the resonance up the frequency range and hence out of the pass band for a sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom