1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE speaker placement.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mike_cummi, May 3, 2005.

1. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To set the scene - my room is a perfect square 5mx5m with my sofa exactly in the middle of the room. My TV (85cm wide) is up against and in the middle of the front wall. I've got an AE Evo centre and want to get matching fronts.

Problem is that with the other stuff that's in the room there isn't much space to the left of the TV but quite a bit to the right. My potential solutions to this problem are:-

1) Put one Evo 3 to the left of the TV, pretty much bang up against it, and to the right of the TV there will be an equipment rack (about 80cm wide) and then another EVO3 to the right of that.

2) As above but equipment rack and right speaker swap places, so right speaker up against TV.

3) I go for wall/shelf mounted Evo 1s which are evenly placed either side of TV.

My thoughts on these options are as follows:-

1) Problem with left speaker being closer to TV than right speaker - is this easily remedied by a typical 7.1 receiver, say at the £400 price mark? If so, what facility is it I should look for? I'm guessing it'll be something a bit more complex than a balance control?

2) Speakers too close together - there will only be about 1 metre between them. Sofa will be about 2m from front speakers.

3) Will Evo 1s be enough to fill my room with sound? Even though AE website says they are designed for bookshelf use, are they really any good on a bookshelf? Would you put both on either end of one shelf or would you use sperate shelves?

Sorry for slightly protracted post, grateful for any advice you guys can give.

:confused:

2. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easiest one first, you need to get your centre speaker directly above or below your screen. No amount of clever tricks from a processor will help if you don't, as the amp will think the TV is where the centre channel is. You should then try to space the speakers evenly either side of the screen, if you don't dialogue will appear to come from off centre and will drive you mad.
    The key to wall or shelf mounting is to get as ridgid a platform as possible, a continuous shelf will transmit vibrations so individual is better, but you can get isolator pads to reduce vibration. Single brackets are better still.
    This seems to drive you towards the evo 1. This has a 100 watt handling and 89db sensitivity, unless you are going for a monster amp the evo 3 won't give you anymore volume.
    What the 3 gives though is more bass, so if you go for the 1s go for a sub woofer.
    I assume you will be adding rear speakers? You just don't mention it, if you are not, then no real point in having 2 front and a centre as parts of soundtrack will have no speakers to go to. If you aren't going for rear speakers get another centre, but use the 2 either side of telly, and get a sub-woofer, and run amp in stereo mode, not really surround sound but much better than straight telly.

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, some useful info there.

I have decided that, as much as I would love a pair of floorstanders, it's going to have to be wall/shelf mounted Evo 1s as I haven't got the space to accommodate the Evo 3s. Was just a bit concerned that the Evo 1s wouldn't have enough oomph to cope with my reasonably large room and would not be good near to a wall because they are rear ported. Any Evo 1 owners out there that have the speakers shelf/bracket mounted? Results?

I'm not planning on a particularly monster amp, likely something like a yamaha RX-V750.

My centre speaker will be directly above or below the TV with the left and right speakers placed equidistantly to either side of the TV on the wall. I do have speakers to the rear (bose acoustimass 3) and I'll be keeping them to use with my AE fronts and eventually some side effects speakers to go to 7.1, probably MA BFX.

I've also got a ruark log rhythm so that should more than make up for any lack of bass in the Evo 1s.

Thanks again,

Mike.