Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AE Evo speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by IainC, Feb 18, 2003.

1. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking at these to go along with the new amp/sub. Was planning on the Evo 3's up front with 4 compacts as rears (not a lot of space) and the centre.

Anyone on here use these speakers already?

Anyone got a link to any decent online reviews? Haven't seen many so far.

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I'd seen it when browsing before, just wondered if anyone had seen any other ones, unbiased ones (I guess they'd only put links to the stuff if it got good write ups ;) )

Was told by a sales-droid that they were a better speaker than the Mission M74's that I was looking at, better control of the bass, etc.

Not had a chance to hear them for myself yet but wanted to get an idea from people who'd actually had them and used them to see how they rated them day to day, etc.

4. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iain

I would agree with the sales droid, they are very popular speakers, quite remarkable for the price.

You will not be disappointed.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

I have got the 3's at the front. I used to have the 1's on Nexus 6 stands at the rear, but budging to my darling wife who wanted some floor space back I have sold them and now use the white compact mounted high.

I thought I was in for a compromised sound, however I was highly impressed by the Compacts. They are incredibly heavy for their size, well built and sound brilliantly. I have fixed them high with the AE brackets, very fiddly but once fitted they look really good. But now I hear things in the surround sound delivery that I never heard before whilst the sound field seems much more dispersed (i.e. not able to pinpoint that it is the left or right surround making the noice...).

You won't regret it....

Regards,

Jean-Paul

6. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. I wondered about the compacts right enough. Don't have the room for the Evo 1's as rears and had almost discounted the Evo range when the guy showed me the compacts.

Like you, I'd be mounting these up the wall with the brackets so they should be out of the way and they aren't that big so are wife friendly ;)

It's the first time I've started with HC but am impressed with the sub (Velo 10 ;) ) and the amp (AVR3803) so far thru' some ropey old speakers so once I have some decent speakers in place it should make a *huge* difference :D

7. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Yeah I got the white ones which blend in with the ceiling, the AE brackets allow you to tilt them in any direction. Not only the wife is happy with the looks...

I am still impresed with the improvements they made.

Yeah I know I've posted this before but I really like them ;-)

8. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'll probably stick with black ones. I think that the white ones would probably stand out a bit against the wall as much as the black ones and at least the black would tone in with all the rest of the speakers/sub.

9. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be smart and let your partner choose the color. ;-)

10. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I think she' wishes I'd just get the stuff and shut up about it all :D

Think she'd probably prefer the black too as although the walls aren't really dark I think the white would be too light compared to everything else in the room.

11. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Recent What Hi Fi review once again rated the AE Aegis Evo 3 as the test winner (3300-£400 bracket) ... second came the Mission M74i (note its the M74i and not the older and cheaper M74). The Missions won out on the low end retrieval (so if you don't have or are not considering a sub might be the one to go for). The AEs had better integration and musicality (they are a three way design).

I'd test out both. Also the Missions are quite a bit larger than the AE although both are pretty even matched in the weight stakes.

DTTB

12. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did actually get that mag. Remember reading that the two I was interested in were the top two :D

Already have the Velo CHT10 so bass isn't a problem :D

As I do listen to quite a bit of music too I think the AE's are certainly starting to sound the better bet.

Cheers

13. c.wilko

c.wilko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Iain,

I have the evo 3s front, 1s as rears and the center. I think they're great speakers but the 3s do need a bit of space to really sound their best.

If you have the floor space i don't think you'll be dissapointed.

14. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno for sure if I do have the floor space but I'm willing to try and make sure I do ;)