1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE Evo 3B Sub crossover

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by peo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Acoustic Energy Evo 3B speaker package, using them with a Sony VA55ES. I am somewhat confused about setting up the subwoofer crossover correctly.

As far as I understand the crossover on the sub itself should be set to MAX. But what about the crossover level on the amp? I believe the default setting is about 110-120. However, the EVO 3 front speakers are pretty capable, surely it should be a lot less than this?

And on a slightly different matter, what's the point of having a volume level on the sub? I realise that the sub has its own amp, but surely the volume should be set by the main amplifier, just like all the other speakers? Otherwise, you would have to get up and change the volume on the sub every time you changed your main amp volume! So, I assume the sub volume level is just down to personal preference - how much bass you like to hear in the mix. Or is there an optimum setting?

I'm sorry about these rather stupid questions, but having been into Home Cinema for a few years now, its the one thing I've never got quite straight in my head. Sorry. :blush:

2. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really answering your question I'm afraid but how do you rate the Evo's?

Was planning on a set of these myself (have the Velo CHT10 sub already) and wondered how you've found them?

In my place I have the sub set fairly low and still get plenty of bass from it regardless of the level of the main amp although it's never turned up really high (baby in the house ;) )

3. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same amp and speakers and was wondering the same question about the settings.

peo how long did you take to break in the speakers . They say 24 hours but is that 24 continiously or 24 hours total. There's no way I'm leaving the system on for 100 hours to break in the speakers like a friend told me.

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got the 3's for a long time now, they do start opening up much better after longer play. Also the speaker wire makes a real difference. I was using my old Cable Talk 3.1 but side-graded to Chord Carnival as my wife like the nice white sleave....I was absolutely amazed by the extra detail that was presented.

I do not have bass management on my Kenwood amp, but I had the cross-over on my sub set to about 70 after 'tuning' with Avia.

The three's are quite capable indeed.

Regards,

Jean-Paul

5. peo

peo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only set the speakers up at the weekend, so in terms of running them in I haven't had long yet! I certainly won't be leaving everything on for hundreds of hours, I'm just trying to use it all as much as possible, which is no great pain!

So far I'm really happy with them. They certainly blend together well, I'm finding it much harder to locate where surround sounds are coming from (good thing), whereas with my old mis-matched speakers it sounded like they were coming from a very distinct point. But I don't feel that I'm quite there with the sub integration. Had another play last night - being as the sub's max crossover point is 100 Hz, I turned it up to that, and set my amps LFE cut off point at 100. I then set all my main speakers to small, left the cut off point on them at 120, and set my front speakers at > 100 Hz. So, I think that means I haven't lost any frequency's anywhere, the sub is dealing with anyhthing below 100Hz, the front floorstanders are dealing with 100 Hz and above, and surrounds and centre are dealing with above 120 Hz.

Anybody got any ideas if this makes sense? Are these sensible settings? Or am I just a complete halfwit? :p