1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE Evo 3b advice - do I upgrade the sub?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gary_W, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

It's my first post here, so hello everyone ;)

We recently moved house and our living room is a really nice size for a home cinema setup. 24 feet long, just over 12 feet wide.

I have a Marantz SR 5200 amp (getting on a bit, but I'm happy enough with it). The problem is the complete mixture of speakers I have collected over the years. The front stereo pair are B+W 602 S2's. The centre speaker is a 12 year old Celestion (from my first pro logic setup!) and the rears are an ancient pair of Cannon things whose model number escapes me. Whilst I am happy with the B+W's, it is probably easier to replace the lot.

I am considering going for the Acoustic Energy Evo 3b package, comprising the Evo 3 fronts, an Evo centre, the Evo 1 rears and the AE sub. This lot can be had together for £679.

Due to what I've been used to, I'm sure I'll be delighted. But I am under the impression that the sub is not great. If I left the sub out of the equation, I can get the other 5 speakers seperately for around £530. In other words, the sub is only costing £150.

Am I better off gettting the whole package for £679, or should I just buy the speakers and spend £400 or so extra on a sub? If so, which one? Or am I looking a gifthorse in the mouth in terms of a reasonable sub for £150?

Final question; am I going to be compramising on stereo music reproduction by going for the AE Evo 3's? I know my amp isn't very impressive, but I'm pretty happy with the stereo performance and would like opinions of the 602S2 vs the Evo 3 for music.

I'm hoping to audition the 3b package over the next few days, BTW.

Thanks

Gary

2. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Gary, welcome aboard :smashin:

I am considering going for the Acoustic Energy Evo 3b package, comprising the Evo 3 fronts, an Evo centre, the Evo 1 rears and the AE sub. This lot can be had together for £679.

Due to what I've been used to, I'm sure I'll be delighted. But I am under the impression that the sub is not great. If I left the sub out of the equation, I can get the other 5 speakers seperately for around £530. In other words, the sub is only costing £150.

Am I better off gettting the whole package for £679, or should I just buy the speakers and spend £400 or so extra on a sub? If so, which one? Or am I looking a gifthorse in the mouth in terms of a reasonable sub for £150?

To answer the above I currently own a 7.1 package using the AE evo's but I replaced the sub recently for a 2nd hand SVS I picked up from the classifieds (you'll see these mentioned a lot in this forum), it was a great move and made me realise what i'd been missing, in my opinion yes spend extra on a sub, the speakers are excellent there sub is average.

Final question; am I going to be compramising on stereo music reproduction by going for the AE Evo 3's? I know my amp isn't very impressive, but I'm pretty happy with the stereo performance and would like opinions of the 602S2 vs the Evo 3 for music.

I have heard the DM603 S3's and considering they cost double the evo 3's I didn't think they were worth an extra £300, for films its better to have the same components used in the centre, the left and right to get a tonal balance so by upgrading you will find both movies and music will sound better IMHO of course.

Oh and by the way (hope this is ok mods) I have recently upgraded my speakers and will be flogging all 7 for £500 (theres 2 pairs of evo 1's) over the next week or so (haven't placed them in the classifieds or ebay yet).

Gives you something to think about anyway :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gav

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I agree the evo sub isnt to good. It works well enough with the rest of the evo series but there are much better. It all depends on how much you would want to spend on a sub.

The evos are superbly musical and you wont be losing anything from the b&w's.

4. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the info, folks!

I have found a dealer (fairly) locally that can demo the AE Evos and carries several alternative subs that I can try with the package.

I look forward to hearing them.

Gary