1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE Aegis Evo speaker package - running in?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dan Smiffy, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all,

I keep reading on here that the AE Aegis Evo range of speakers, espesh the 3s but also the 1s, need a long running in period but since I've never had to run in speakers before could someone please tellus how long "a long running in period" is? I was anticipating I'd run the fronts in stereo with a CD on for X hours fairly loudly, then swap the fronts for the rears and put another CD on, or something like that. But for how long should I run them and at what volume (in dBs), are we talking hours or days, and v.loud or v.v.loud?? And what about the centre how's it best to run that one in all on its own??? And last question, could I run my new speakers in over the course of a week, say a coupla of hours a day for four days running (timed to coincide with my understanding but I-don't-want-to-take-the-Mick neighbour nipping out to the shops) or is that not a good idea, is it better to let 'em all sing for 8hrs solid?

Any and all tips gratefully received - I'm going away for the w/e but will be back on Monday and hoping an Evo owner will've had the time to share their running in plan before then 'cos I'll be itching to get going! Cheers,

dan.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With an A/V receiver your best bet is to engage 5 Channel Stereo and run a CD at a moderately loud volume for - to properly run them in - around 48 hours.

If you're going away for the weekend you'd probably do best to leave them on all weekend.

3. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...2 whole days?? Who do you work for the electric company?! ;) But who am I to argue with a fella with near 900 posts, you must know what you're up to (and I've only just noticed - you replied to my post 5mins after I made it. Thankyou Dimmy and soz I posted and dashed). My neighbours will rightly kill me though if I leave CDs playing for 48hrs. Could I run it for 8 hours at a time i.e. when they are at work, everyday for a week would that achieve the same thing? Or does it have to be constant?

dan.

4. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I got mine I just connected them up to the amp and ran it on 7ch stereo (I bought an extra two bookshelf ones to get 7.1 ;) ) and just took it easy on them for the first week or so.

They sound fine now (getting on for a year later) and have done for quite a while.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    That'll work. Just takes longer :D

Chris

6. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the 1st week they will sound terrible,just use em for TV and Lo fi stuff.Dont leave em playing for 48hours,like you said it drains electricty like mad!Give em a consistent 2-3 hours per day,u will notice gradual improvements in sound,mainly the treble becoming more refined and cleaner bass.By week 2 they should be bareble so u can start listening to cd's without the torture of fresh speakers.After a month they should be nicely cooked.I usually have mine playing for 4-5 hours a day when im running in and really loud:devil: also speakers seem less senstive at 1st so the volume has to be cranked up,u will notice they get more sensitve too over the weeks.Be patient and you will be rewarded!Im gettin my m53 soon,theyre gonna take some thrashing:devil: to get loosened up.

Zoolander:D

7. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zoolander many tas for this, I've been doing what you said for a week now without saying thanks (tsk my manners). I've not noted much improvement yet, mind you I thought my Evo3 set sounded fab straight out of the box, so either my ears aren't as refined as yours or my positive opinion of them is partly explained by the horrible monoliths of unresponsive wood the Evo3s have replaced!) Now I'm looking forward to getting more and more impressed with my lil' baby system as the weeks pass, ta very much! It's also probably time I bought my poor neighbour in the flat downstairs another box of Roses: "Thank you very much for not getting onto the Council". :)

dan.

8. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Im sure its not your ears, its going to be hard to tell any difference unless you have a listen out of the box leave them for 48 hours and go back for another listen. You will just get used to them over the week. Well thats my view anyway im sure others would disagree ;)